autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    It's fine if you don't understand the intricacies of alternating current wiring systems,.
    Actually I do understand alternating current. Which is why in the context of this thread the only real danger is what i previously stated. Now if we were talking about household scenarios like jfelbab mentioned, (which are stretches in probability) then the probability of someone getting bit by 120v would be increased slightly by someone hooking up a plug end backwards.

Now should we wire our plug ends correctly? Of course. I do it all the time. As well as outlets and chandeliers. (Im an electrician) Most people don't even know which wire is the neutral on a chandelier cord, and of the ones that do, a fair number could care less as to how they hook it up. (Reason being its not a big deal) But I do because its just as easy to do right as wrong so why not.

The bottom line is this: in reality hooking up a plug end backwards is not a big deal. Sorry it just isn't.

I challenge you to explain to me how the op can get hurt by hooking his three prong plug replacement with the black and white reversed. That's the scenario I want to see since that's the scenario I replied to.

I'll go back into lurk mode now.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Repair 3-Prong Electrical Plug

Quote Originally Posted by El Flaco Taco View Post
    Actually I do understand alternating current. Which is why in the context of this thread the only real danger is what i previously stated. Now if we were talking about household scenarios like jfelbab mentioned, (which are stretches in probability) then the probability of someone getting bit by 120v would be increased slightly by someone hooking up a plug end backwards.

Now should we wire our plug ends correctly? Of course. I do it all the time. As well as outlets and chandeliers. (Im an electrician) Most people don't even know which wire is the neutral on a chandelier cord, and of the ones that do, a fair number could care less as to how they hook it up. (Reason being its not a big deal) But I do because its just as easy to do right as wrong so why not.

The bottom line is this: in reality hooking up a plug end backwards is not a big deal. Sorry it just isn't.

I challenge you to explain to me how the op can get hurt by hooking his three prong plug replacement with the black and white reversed. That's the scenario I want to see since that's the scenario I replied to.

I'll go back into lurk mode now.
    Another/different electrician may need to service one of your customers in your stead...
    whether it be in residential/commercial/industrial settings.

That's why, IMHO, that every electrician always must "follow the codes".
    That's when fewer electrical "problems" should arise.
    That includes, hopefully, eliminating even some shocking scenarios.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Another/different electrician may need to service one of your customers in your stead...
    whether it be in residential/commercial/industrial settings.

That's why, IMHO, that every electrician always must "follow the codes".
    That's when fewer electrical "problems" should arise.
    That includes, hopefully, eliminating even some shocking scenarios.

Bob
    What makes you say that?

Post Thanks / Like

What makes you say that?
    Where do I start:

I've seen harm's way come to electricians (and wannabes) that
    followed-up some other electricians' wiring-negligence.

This is usually a warning sign that an electrician has shown dereliction in not only: The Line of Duty...
    but also in disregarding: The Basics...supposedly learned as an apprentice.

Sure this thread is about a: 3-prong plug...
    But if one doesn't feel obliged to wire/re-wire this 'simple' electrical device properly---"by code", I say!!...
    Then this non-obligatory mentality may just carry-over to other aspects where
    "electricity" is involved as a more complicated, silent, yet even perhaps deadly partner.

This, in part, is why I prefer electricians to always be: Up to Code.

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    Where do I start:

I've seen harm's way come to electricians (and wannabes) that
    followed-up some other electricians' wiring-negligence.

This is usually a warning sign that an electrician has shown dereliction in not only: The Line of Duty...
    but also in disregarding: The Basics...supposedly learned as an apprentice.

Sure this thread is about a: 3-prong plug...
    But if one doesn't feel obliged to wire/re-wire this 'simple' electrical device properly---"by code", I say!!...
    Then this non-obligatory mentality may just carry-over to other aspects where
    "electricity" is involved as a more complicated, silent, yet even perhaps deadly partner.

This, in part, is why I prefer electricians to always be: Up to Code.

Bob
    While your soliloquy is very soothing to the ears and very descriptive of careless electrical practice, I'm having a hard time finding any relevant connection to even one thing I've said here. So please unkind sir make the connection for me.

I also invite you to explain to me how wiring a three prong cord cap with white and black wires reversed is a danger to the guy with the metro blaster. As I'm assuming that me pointing out the reality that wiring backwards is not Armageddon.

Post Thanks / Like

So please unkind sir

^^^^^^
    IMHO...You really didn't need to go there.

10-4...and over.

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO...You really didn't need to go there.

10-4...and over.

Bob
    Wow! Are you really confused as to why I might have thought u were unkind. Maybe a review of your two previous post might clear that up for you. I thought for sure someone with posts as passive aggresive and contentious as some (not all) of yours are would have a lil thicker skin than that.

Or perhaps maybe, you saw my mean words as an escape from the challenge put to you. In retrospect I wish I were kinder in my words, because i really wanted to hear how you we're going to legitimately meet the challenge of my last post.

At any rate I want to offer my apologies for anything I've said to hurt or offend you. I was on the defensive. I don't want to make an enemy of you (i actually learn a lot from your posts) so I will 10-4... and over. On this whole thread as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was like 5 years old I stuck my finger in one of those old Christmas light bulb sockets (bulb was missing).

Man, I'll never forget that.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Friends

I appreciate your help. Our Master Blaster is working well and safely.

Steve, I recall putting up a simple shop light in our basement when I was sixteen or seventeen. I just tried to copy the other lights in our basement and got shocked. I don't know how much electricity hit me, but it hurt, gave me a headache, and made me stink.
    — Jaddie, Max's proud chauffeur
    2012 Honda Odyssey & 2016 Ford Escape

Post Thanks / Like

Jfelbab u an electrician?
    EE.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast