autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    That's right. The Safety ground and neutral or common (white wire) work together to provide current a path back to ground in the event of a short circuit. If they're hooked up backward the tool will still run but your path to safety ground is compromised, meaning the tool's user could take the majority of the current instead of it going to ground.
    I'm sorry but that's just not the case. The only danger to the tool user in a reversed polarity situation like this would b if the user decides to open up the machine and work on it while its plugged in. In normal applications the ground on the device is going to be the best path to ground. Which means no affect on the user.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Repair 3-Prong Electrical Plug

Quote Originally Posted by El Flaco Taco View Post
    I'm sorry but that's just not the case. The only danger to the tool user in a reversed polarity situation like this would b if the user decides to open up the machine and work on it while its plugged in. In normal applications the ground on the device is going to be the best path to ground. Which means no affect on the user.
    I've been wrong about stuff before...

Thanks for clearing that up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    I've been wrong about stuff before...

Thanks for clearing that up.
    No problem. I'm just happy to be able to give a little back to the forum. Albeit off topic insignificant info. Maybe one day I'll get good enough at detailing to be able to share good detailing info.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps you could explain to us the purpose of the polarized plugs on most electrical devices?

Post Thanks / Like

It's done for added measure of safety. The neutral side is typically at or very near ground potential and if a two-wire device like a metal toaster or a lamp is not polarized and the hot side of the plug is reversed there may be a greater chance of electrocution. Say touching the lamp bulb socket or the toaster shell and a cold water tap for example. Similarly, the third ground wire is intended to be used to insure the shell of most devices is at ground potential in the case something breaks in the device or the wiring deteriorates. True most two-wire devices with or without polarized pugs are usually triple insulated but the purpose here is to avoid or minimize shock hazards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Perhaps you could explain to us the purpose of the polarized plugs on most electrical devices?
    Are you referring to the one larger one smaller blades on plugs? I can't. Except to say tht it's internal fusing and switching. Which has no affect on operation.
    I'm going to guess that "most" plugs are not polarized. None of the 3 pronged grounded plugs are polarized. And a quick survey of my tools have returned a 50% result of polarized plug ends. My Rupes is not polarized but the 3403 is. My Makita Circular saw is but my Milwaukee Hole Hawg isn't.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, The code for wiring in the US:

Protective ground is either a bare or a green wire
    Neutral is a white wire
    Hot is always black or red in case of a three way.

The plug neutral is always the wide blade and the bronze color connection while the hot connection the narrow blade and is the silver connection.

And all three wire plugs are indeed polarized. They cannot be inserted upside down as the third ground pin prevents it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jfelbab u an electrician?

Post Thanks / Like

Are you referring to the one larger one smaller blades on plugs? I can't. Except to say tht it's internal fusing and switching. Which has no affect on operation.
    I'm going to guess that "most" plugs are not polarized. None of the 3 pronged grounded plugs are polarized. And a quick survey of my tools have returned a 50% result of polarized plug ends. My Rupes is not polarized but the 3403 is. My Makita Circular saw is but my Milwaukee Hole Hawg isn't.
    So you're giving people safety-related electrical advice, when you don't even understand why it's unsafe, except that you have found the tool still works if the hot and neutral are reversed. The reason that some of the tools you have do not have polarized plugs, is that the construction of that tool does not make it unsafe if the hot and the neutral are reversed. Either that or they were manufactured before the requirement was code or common sense made it that way.

It's fine if you don't understand the intricacies of alternating current wiring systems, but it's imprudent for you to tell people on a public forum that it's ok to circumvent conventions that are there for their safety. As any electrician if it's important to maintain hot/neutral protocol.

Post Thanks / Like

It's fine if you don't understand the intricacies of alternating current wiring systems, but it's imprudent for you to tell people on a public forum that it's ok to circumvent conventions that are there for their safety. As any electrician if it's important to maintain hot/neutral protocol.[/QUOTE]

You are correct

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast