autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hamlyn View Post
    What there ever a part 2 follow-up to part 1?
    Sorry... Not yet. Been way too busy. Stay tuned for some more info this winter once work slows down

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Photography Basics - Part 1

Quote Originally Posted by hamlyn View Post
    What there ever a part 2 follow-up to part 1?
    POLL: Topics for future photography threads

Post Thanks / Like

Tagging this great article for the future, Zack. Thanks!

I'm just beginning into photography for the exact reason Mike does it/needs it...detailing, at least mostly. I'm sure what I will learn will benefit other future photography.

Currently I only have a Cannon point and shoot...and ELPH 110 HS I believe. Looking to step up in the near future.

Not real concerned with taking spectacular photo's or becoming a real true photographer. I don't have time for that with all my other hobbies. Like Mike, I want to get in and get out with a great shot that is a true representation of what my eye sees. I don't need more than than...only what my eye sees. I'm looking for correct light, swirls, and then no swirls. Plain and simple...in and out. I'm sure a decent DSLR camera would help me reach those goals better than my current set-up...even without messing too much with settings. Don't mind to learn more, just don't need to become a guru of sorts.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Tagging this great article for the future, Zack. Thanks!

I'm just beginning into photography for the exact reason Mike does it/needs it...detailing, at least mostly. I'm sure what I will learn will benefit other future photography.

Currently I only have a Cannon point and shoot...and ELPH 110 HS I believe. Looking to step up in the near future.

Not real concerned with taking spectacular photo's or becoming a real true photographer. I don't have time for that with all my other hobbies. Like Mike, I want to get in and get out with a great shot that is a true representation of what my eye sees. I don't need more than than...only what my eye sees. I'm looking for correct light, swirls, and then no swirls. Plain and simple...in and out. I'm sure a decent DSLR camera would help me reach those goals better than my current set-up...even without messing too much with settings. Don't mind to learn more, just don't need to become a guru of sorts.
    I definitely understand the need to understand the basics without the desire to 'become a guru'. Possessing the general knowledge of how the camera works will allow you to better capture the images you are seeking. Unfortunately, due to the extreme lack of dynamic range that your camera is able to capture when compared to the human eye, it is quite difficult to fully capture what you are seeing with an image. A DSLR has the best chance, as its dynamic range is far superior to most point and shoot models. Shooting in RAW and then manually processing the images will also help lead to more accurate representations of what you were truly seeing compared to shooting in JPEG and allowing your camera to alter your images based on a preset group of settings... that is all to be discussed in future articles though.

Post Thanks / Like

I must say, this seems easier to understand than those I read out there. Simple and straight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSP View Post
    I must say, this seems easier to understand than those I read out there. Simple and straight.
    Glad to hear it!

Here is part 2: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...tml#post984886

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Zack,

Great article! I think we have a Nikon D60, kinda funny as I've always left the setting on auto. I read Parts 2 & 3 and of course, more great information! Now if only the weather will clear up I can go take some practices shots...

James

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 28ONE View Post
    Hi Zack,

Great article! I think we have a Nikon D60, kinda funny as I've always left the setting on auto. I read Parts 2 & 3 and of course, more great information! Now if only the weather will clear up I can go take some practices shots...

James
    Hey James, you'll find photography to be much more interesting once you take the camera out of auto! Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys. Been a long time since I signed on. Weather's a killer for business here - but it's only seasonal for us anyway, since we focus on our other company through the winter.

Anyway, I finally got a couple wicked DSLRs, and have had a lot of playtime with them, haha. A Canon and a Sony Alpha, also picked up a Tamron lens (lenses are $450 evidently, I NEVER knew that).

Took an island vacation recently, and it was awesome to be able to see and feel the difference these types of cameras can produce - plus, I'm a macro fanatic, which is all the more reason I'm looking forward to 2014's detailing season.

Anyway, just wanted to drop back in on this thread and say how helpful the information was, and that anyone on the fence about upgrading to the world of DSLRs, I HIGHLY recommend it. In the scheme of things $1,000 really isn't too bad for the use you'll get out of them (and fun)!

I can't WAIT to photograph cars!!!
    "Don't Drive Dull!"
    Carsmetic Rehabilitation Detailologist: Aesthetic Actualization

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you found it helpful!

$450 for a lens is on the lower side, too good glass, however, is well worth the expense!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast