autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do paint correction on brand new cars from the dealer all week long! They come in with paper plates and plenty of swirls and scratches, it's sad to know the dealer does not care about the car at all.

Mike Phillips

Re: Don't wash car !!!!!!!!!!!

I had a guy call me on the phone yesterday after seeing one of our TV commercials on Velocity Channel, said he took his black Mustang to the dealership for a regular service.

Said the paint was in very good condition before taking it in and when he went to pick it up it looked like they used sandpaper to wash it.

Luckily the dealership has found an outside detail shop to clean up their shoddy work and he said they paid to have it fixed and turned out very good.

At this time he's not a member of this forum but I sent him the link to this thread and the link to register with the forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm taking my car in for servicing this morning and I'm printing this "Don't wash car" picture right now! Thanks again Mike!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit that I was a bit uncertain how much trust I had in these horror stories (and there are many of them). Until earlier this year when my vehicle was serviced. It was in grand condition although nothing special (I work with detailers rather than being on myself!). It came back covered in scores and scratches and even some through into the primer. Dealership was pretty poor and I never heard anything back from them with regards to this so I have dropped it. So Skoda may make some good cars but my experience is that their service remains with the 1980s reputation!

Post Thanks / Like

I talked to a friend of mine and was discussing how some dealers seem resistant to the idea of not washing or detailing a car. My friend works for a large GM dealer. He said that some of the new car fees, and some of the dealer service fees (like shop fees; which isn't JUST disposing of materials apparently) have the wash and detail incorporated into them (so it's not free, you're paying for it!). He says it can become a bit of an issue, even a legal issue, if they didn't provide a service that they technically charged you for. He said that's especially true of new cars that people ask to not have detailed, as they still have some 'prep and setup' paperwork to do, but are charging you a pretty hefty 'prep and setup' fee. Though those fees are often easy to negotiate away. I never liked the prep and setup fee anyway. It's usually hundreds of dollars and you could pay a nice pro detailer to get your car ready for similar or less money!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Love's Auto View Post
    I do paint correction on brand new cars from the dealer all week long! They come in with paper plates and plenty of swirls and scratches, it's sad to know the dealer does not care about the car at all.
    I'm sure it's a combination of three factors. 1) Perhaps some lack of care, but probably more likely, banking on most owners not caring or being aware of it and they figure it's easier and cheaper just not to worry about it. 2) Pure ignorance. They just do not know. As has been discussed in this thread. They hire some kid, hand him a rotational buffer, and give him some basic instructions and some old rags. 3) Apathetic owners. When 99 of your customers thank you for washing the car and 1 of them says you did a shoddy job, it's pretty easy to assume that 1 is just a nut job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Took my car to have it serviced today and thanks to Mike it didn't get destroyed!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
    I talked to a friend of mine and was discussing how some dealers seem resistant to the idea of not washing or detailing a car. My friend works for a large GM dealer. He said that some of the new car fees, and some of the dealer service fees (like shop fees; which isn't JUST disposing of materials apparently) have the wash and detail incorporated into them (so it's not free, you're paying for it!). He says it can become a bit of an issue, even a legal issue, if they didn't provide a service that they technically charged you for. He said that's especially true of new cars that people ask to not have detailed, as they still have some 'prep and setup' paperwork to do, but are charging you a pretty hefty 'prep and setup' fee. Though those fees are often easy to negotiate away. I never liked the prep and setup fee anyway. It's usually hundreds of dollars and you could pay a nice pro detailer to get your car ready for similar or less money!

What a load of horse manure. Once I have purchased a vehicle it's my property and if I tell a service shop not to do something and I document it and they do it any way now it's their problem and they are liable. What ever the sceanrio. After all this ain't obamacare. LOL.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Love's Auto View Post

Took my car to have it serviced today and thanks to Mike it didn't get destroyed!

So good to hear!

I'd rather hear success stories versus horror stories...

Post Thanks / Like

My brother took his car to a paint shop to have an aftermarket hood and an aftermarket front valence painted. Well I didn't think of putting a sign on the car. Lesson learned. I saw the car today in the sun and it's swirled all over the place. They completely ruined the polishing we did on it back in march. Now we have to clean up their mess.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast