autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: How to use a one-step cleaner/wax to maximize profits

Another reason to use an AIO or one-step cleaner/wax is because the paint on daily drivers becomes stained with dirt and oil.

Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

A finishing wax or sealant, that is a product with no cleaning ability won't remove impacted dirt and road film.

Doing a 2, 3, 4 step process will of course get the paint back down to a fresh base but if you're detailing for money you'll be spending a lot of time doing the work and this decreases your profit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I'm completeley lost with your logic/opinion?

What steps and products would in your opinion should be used for a daily driver?

Just to keep things in context since the "pictures" of this detail are quite a ways back in this thread....

Before
    This car is in good condition but the paint was oxidized and thus dull and lifeless. It was rough to the feel with contamination as was the exterior glass. A greasy tire dressing was used and it smeared over the white letters staining them black and brown. The chrome was stained with some type of film causing them to look dull instead of bright and shiny.

After

Less than 4 hours and I charged $350.00

And that right there is what it's all about....

Get it done, get paid and go.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of great info in this thread...

But, 70 W-30 in special order Sebring Yellow! Full of awesome!

Amazing work Mike!

Post Thanks / Like

Detailing doesn't pay my bills. I do it on the weekends.

I mainly work on DD; paint that's a swirled out mess. IME, AIO's do very little correction. I do not feel like it's worth MY time an effort to hand back a car that's only 20-30% better. Even if the customer is clueless and thinks the car looks great, I want to think the car looks great, too. If I'm going to polish paint, I will only do a 1-step if the polish removes 80%+ of the defects. Otherwise, it's a 2-step. If the paint I work on has very minimal swirls, an AIO/cleaner wax would be great. That's very rare for me, however.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post

I mainly work on DD; paint that's a swirled out mess. IME, AIO's do very little correction. I do not feel like it's worth MY time an effort to hand back a car that's only 20-30% better. Even if the customer is clueless and thinks the car looks great, I want to think the car looks great, too. If I'm going to polish paint, I will only do a 1-step if the polish removes 80%+ of the defects. Otherwise, it's a 2-step. If the paint I work on has very minimal swirls, an AIO/cleaner wax would be great. That's very rare for me, however.
    D151 on and LC Orange or CYAN Pad will cut very well if needed for a one step and leaves a nice finish.

Could also step up to MF finishing pad also for really bad ones that don't want to pay for a 2 step correction + wax.

But then that's what D151 was made for, production work and it cuts very well if needed depending on pad choice.

And it's fast to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

I think your clientele are different than mine. I mostly work on soccer mom vans and suv. They care about the interior cleanliness and it being clean and shiny outside. Most don't even see scratches or swirls unless its from a shopping cart, etc.

I would hate to do a full, or even partial correction on these cars for the simple fact, they usually will go right back to the automatic wash for $10 vs my $55 to wash. These type of vehicles are where aio are king!

Now nicer cars, sedans, sports cars, I'll upsell to at least a 1 step polish, and most bite. These are also the customers usually bringing their vehicles back for maintenance washes, and steady money.

I do this as a side job also, but I'm not too picky about what I work on, so long as the customer understands the outcome, or possible lack of outcome. Those customers allow me to purchase new products tools and pads.

A few go down the street to the other Guy at my recommendation.

You might be more selective than me in which jobs you do take. I'm just a $ grub, so I'll take it if the $$$ is right! Haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like
    I currently use HD ADAPT for a lot of my 1-steps. It's cuts MUCH better than any AIO and finishes with the best of them. This is what I'm talking about!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    Does it leave protection? LOL. Just ruffling some feathers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

I currently use HD ADAPT for a lot of my 1-steps. It's cuts MUCH better than any AIO and finishes with the best of them. This is what I'm talking about!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That a polish/compound more like M83, not really an AIO.

So you still have to seal or wax after because it doesn't put down any protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jankerson View Post
    That a polish/compound more like M83, not really an AIO.

So you still have to seal or wax after because it doesn't put down any protection.
    Yep, I'm aware of that.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast