autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gtechniq EXO Application Instructions with Trista

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Which of the Cobra towels would work for applying EXO? I have the Gold Plush Jr., a few Miracle towels, and the black all purpose towels, as well as the green Detailing Cloths. Also, could you use a microfiber applicator instead of a microfiber towel for application, or would that not work? I'm just kinda confused as to why you're supposed to use a towel instead of an applicator. If you're using a towel, how many panels can you ideally do before you need a fresh towel? Do you need to wash the towels right away afterward?
    don't know that range but always go for the short pile cloths. long pile cloths are not great for removing residue.

the towels can be reused afterwards. just wash as recommended and they will be fine

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So after reading the treads on Gtechniq Exo I am planning my project to protect my Mercedes Sprinter van, which has a ridiculously thin layer of very soft single stage paint. My goal, hopefully, is to correct the paint one more time and seal and protect the paint.

So I am thinking about putting C1 (for scratch resistance) and EXO over it. Here's what I plan to do, feel free to correct me if missed anything:

1. Wash with APC to strip off any LSP on the van.
    2. Clay
    3. Polish (hand or DA with thin paint?)
    4. IPA or Wurth clean solve?
    5. Gtechniq C1, leave at least 12 hours to cure

- Van is parked outdoors will probably have some condensation in the morning. Should I just wipe it dry using IPA prior to applying EXO? Or will IPA or Wurth Clean Solve wipe away the layer of C1?

6. 2 Layers of EXO. Will more layers help or overkill? Again, with it parked outdoors it will be hard to keep the van away from any moisture at all for 48 hours. Say if I apply EXO in the morning it should have at least 12 hours of dry time. When the morning comes will the condensation needs to be wipe off or simply leave it alone?

7. C1.5 to maintain the surface say every 2-3 months?

For the long run, besides washing and apply C1.5 every now and then, will claying remove EXO? If I want to apply EXO on it again do I have to strip all the product out or just panel wipe and apply EXO?

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to make sure I understand the product before applying it.

Many thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

hi sheaa

looks spot on. but you will be fine overcoating the c1 with exo without a wipe down so long as the surface is dry and above 70F.

more than 2 layers of exo is overkill. c1.5 won't be necessary for many months. if you wash with a pure shampoo the surface beading will last as much as 2 years.

claying will affect the organic top layer of exo but not the inorganic base. so an application of c1.5 would be a good idea here to get the water and dirt repellency function back. or you can recoat with exo. to do this you just need to panel wipe and reapply.

hth!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gtechrob View Post
    hi sheaa

looks spot on. but you will be fine overcoating the c1 with exo without a wipe down so long as the surface is dry and above 70F.

more than 2 layers of exo is overkill. c1.5 won't be necessary for many months. if you wash with a pure shampoo the surface beading will last as much as 2 years.

claying will affect the organic top layer of exo but not the inorganic base. so an application of c1.5 would be a good idea here to get the water and dirt repellency function back. or you can recoat with exo. to do this you just need to panel wipe and reapply.

hth!
    I guess I'll use G-wash in the morning to clean up the condensation before applying EXO then.

Thank you so much!
    Last edited by sheaa; 08-25-2012 at 06:37 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123