autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
 
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 55
  1. #31
    Super Member sharpreflection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How to fix a deliberate deep key scratch

    Very good job indeed! Thank you for sharing!
    Detailing in Colorado since 2001

  2. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like

    How to fix a deliberate deep key scratch

    After applying touch up paint was it necessary to sand such a large area beyond the scratch? I was planning on doing the same thing but masking off some area around the scratch to limit sanding exposure?

  3. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn One View Post
    When you sand the touch up paint, you sand it to match the same level as the overall paint surface, ie the top of the clear coat, or the top of the paint period, if the paint is single stage, ie non clear coat paint.

    The best touch up comes from sanding the chip before you apply touch up, to feather edge the chip, to make a gradual transition from the chipped area to the surrounding paint. This reduces any hard line around the border of the repair and the surrounding area. The touch up is less noticeable that way. If you wanted to attempt perfection, you would feather edge, then fill with any color needed, then sand that perfectly flat to match the level of the color coat, then fill with clear, and then sand and polish that to match the level of the clear.
    Based on the current damage of the PO what grit do you recommend feathering the scratch with?

  4. #34
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,268
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How to fix a deliberate deep key scratch

    Quote Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
    Based on the current damage of the PO what grit do you recommend feathering the scratch with?
    1500 is what I would probably go with, but might start with 2000 to see how it works. I agree with masking off the surrounding area. I have recommended that approach before.

    Always start with the finest that could work, then up the coarseness as needed. If for some reason paint was very hard and it was a large area, I would try 1200 after 1500, and then 1000 after that, and no coarser. However, 1200 is the coarsest I have ever needed on paint. Primer would call for coarser, though.

  5. #35
    Super Member Calendyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    3,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How to fix a deliberate deep key scratch

    Very nice job. Did you apply clear coat at any point during the repair process?

  6. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How to fix a deliberate deep key scratch

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn One View Post
    1500 is what I would probably go with, but might start with 2000 to see how it works. I agree with masking off the surrounding area. I have recommended that approach before.

    Always start with the finest that could work, then up the coarseness as needed. If for some reason paint was very hard and it was a large area, I would try 1200 after 1500, and then 1000 after that, and no coarser. However, 1200 is the coarsest I have ever needed on paint. Primer would call for coarser, though.
    great thanks! also when you say "feather" the scratches, how would one go about feathering something that small and thin?

  7. #37
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How to fix a deliberate deep key scratch

    also i assume by sand, you mean wet sand

  8. #38
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,268
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How to fix a deliberate deep key scratch

    Quote Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
    great thanks! also when you say "feather" the scratches, how would one go about feathering something that small and thin?
    Use the end of broken Popsicle stick to fold the paper around. Get creative with it. Use what is available. Perhaps around an eraser.


    Dry sanding works, too, for feather edging. Since you will be sanding the paint to a feather and will be painting over it, there is no need to fear putting coarser scratches than the grit of the paper on that feathered edge. I would go dry, so I could see the area I was working better so as not to sand too far out.

  9. #39
    Super Member beamerstrumpet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,031
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How to fix a deliberate deep key scratch

    Quote Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
    also i assume by sand, you mean wet sand
    If you search this on youtube, you will find a wealth of info on this topic. Personally I would mask the area and leave about an inch on either sides of the scratch and tape off. feather it down then I myself would use Filler primer if its not too deep. If it is very deep then a small amt of body filler is not a bad idea. then sand smooth,once a few coats of filler and or primer is built up, sand with 800 and 1200 then base coat. let dry, wet sand and machine buff this out.apply c/c let dry and compound and buff out. that takes longer but is closer to a full repair.

    check out these links since its not detail stuff I dont think I am violating the AUP Im a duplicolor fan so ...
    this is a good system, I have done it. but more like the steps above. and for themost part like they are doing. instead of glazing I used body filler. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFd_FBgom-c]Dupli-Color Scratch Fix - YouTube[/video]
    his buffing advice sucks but the rest is good stuff LOLOL

  10. #40
    Junior Member FullAttn2Detail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How to fix a deliberate deep key scratch

    I just learned a few things from this thread. Thanx guys!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Deep scratch
    By gigapt in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-01-2017, 03:00 PM
  2. When is a scratch to deep?
    By popcornplayer28 in forum Ask your detailing questions!
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-19-2013, 04:03 PM
  3. How to fix a VERY DEEP scratch!!!
    By Red Fire in forum Ask your detailing questions!
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-26-2012, 08:50 AM
  4. Deep scratch! :(
    By Clutch34 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-17-2009, 10:57 AM
  5. Deep scratch
    By kaboom10 in forum Ask your detailing questions!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-08-2009, 10:05 PM

Members who have read this thread: 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» March 2024

S M T W T F S
2526272829 1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 123456