autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Video: Wow! 3M #5000 Grit Polishing I mean Sanding Discs!

Here's a follow-up from Dave at 3M after sending him the link to this thread,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Mike,

Great Thread!

And thank you for all the work you do promoting and demonstrating our products for your customers to see.

Yes the new 5000 is available in 3" and 5" and can be purchased. I listed the available part numbers and sizes below along with our new Perfect-it brochure, TS bulletin and FAQ sheet.

30662 - 6" Trizact 5000 Grit Hookit Foam Disc - 15 discs per box
    30562 - 5" Trizact 5000 Grit Hookit Foam Disc - 15 discs per box
    30362 - 3" Trizact 5000 Grit Hookit Foam Disc - 15 discs per box

I'll do some more testing on the panel today and share the results. I also just posted the FAQ for this new disc here,

3™ Trizact™ Foam Discs 5000 FAQs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

I'll do some more testing on the panel today and share the results. I also just posted the FAQ for this new disc here,

3™ Trizact™ Foam Discs 5000 FAQs

Mike-

I notice in your pics you are using the electric D/A's...have you ever tried an air powered D/A with this paper? I see the big difference in the electric D/A and air D/A being the complete variable speed in the air D/A- you can adjust it to get just about any cut you want.

Here is a pic of some sheetmetal I painted, cut and buffed with a Dynabrade 3.5" D/A with 3/32" orbit, 3M 1500 Finishing Film, 3M Trizact Foam discs, a DeWalt rotary with black foam pad and 3M Trizact Finishing Compound. This is one pass. All cutting and sanding done dry.

The 3000 marks were so easy to remove I was able to buff below 1000 rpms and leave the metal hanging on the stands.

Just as an FYI..these pieces have about 9 coats of clear on them..each color in the design was individually cleared, then sanded down with the Dynabrade with 3M 1500 before the next color in the design was laid out. It took me about 2 weeks to lay the graphics out on this.

A great project!

I see the 5000 discs being a great step up from the 3000. I'm anxious to see your experimentation with the polishes to see if you can remove the scratch pattern with little more than a one step or something similar.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BLKZ06
    Mike-

I notice in your pics you are using the electric D/A's...have you ever tried an air powered D/A with this paper?

Not with the #5000 yet, I just received them this week.

I own a Dynabrade

It's the person that does the wet-sanding, cutting and buffing that makes or breaks the paint job -Mike Phillips

I really liked the Dynabrade, or at least I thought I did till we brought in the 3M Orbital DA Sanders and side-by-side I like the 3M better.

Can an air-powered DA Sander be used to polish paint?

I also teach both tools in my classes, the primary differences in the real world.

• Most people don't own HUGE air compressors but most people can plug in a DA Polisher
    • With an air powered DA you have to manage the stiff, compressed air line, with an electric DA Polisher the cord is limp and less of a factor for holding the sanding disc flat to the surface at all times.

Anytime you use an air tool you have to contend with a very stiff air line that will try to kick or tilt your tool to an angle unless you constantly monitor and control the air line. With an electric tool the power cord is limp, you just keep it over your shoulder to keep it from dragging against the paint.

IF you look at these pictures from one of my wetsanding classes you can see each person holding the air sander with one hand and managing the air line with the other hand.

Adam aka HarleyGuy

Not a big deal just a practical difference anyone machine sanding or machine buffing with a air powered tool will experience.

Electrical cords easily draped over the shoulder...

If you don't own a 3" Griot's Garage Mini Polisher for a dampsander and 3" discs, I highly recommend them...

Griot's 3" Mini Polisher works great as a 3" Dampsander

Most people don't need to wetsand and probably shouldn't wetsand but if you're ever working on a project that requires sanding then do yourself a favor and get yourself a Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher and then get the Meguiar's 3" Unigrit Finishing Discs and the 3" Interface Pad and you're going to love what this little tool can do.

Here's a few pictures from our recent Wetsanding Project where we machine dampsanded my friend Jay's 1989 K5 Blazer which you're going to see on the 2nd Season of our TV show, What's in the Garage".

Because the 3" sanding and finishing discs have such a small footprint the are EASY to control so you can sand close to edges or tape lines with accuracy.

If you're NEW to any type of sanding, the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher used as 3" Dampsander is a great way to learn and increase your confidence in the art of machine sanding.

End results...

On Autogeek.net

Meguiars Unigrit 3 Inch Finishing Discs

I can't recommend enough getting the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher

Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher

Note: Make sure you get a couple of 3" Interface Pads you want this for contours and curved panels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BLKZ06 View Post

My instructor went thru roughly 30 boxes of Trizact a week, and he never had good results with dampsanding with it either. Its could possibly be air D/A related.

Regardless, my experience (and numerous other guys who refinish/paint/etc) is the 3000 Trizact works as well damp or dry. You may go thru a little bit more paper...but its not the end of the world.

Please don't take this as attacking you, but try tell that to the shop manager when it comes to ordering more sanding media. A lot of body shops are struggling right now and looking to save money any way they can. At about $6 a disc it IS a big deal and it adds up over time, especially when employees have that "it's not my money" attitude. Wasting supplies is never good business.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Please don't take this as attacking you, but try tell that to the shop manager when it comes to ordering more sanding media. A lot of body shops are struggling right now and looking to save money any way they can. At about $6 a disc it IS a big deal and it adds up over time, especially when employees have that "it's not my money" attitude. Wasting supplies is never good business.
    No offense taken at all.

I have found dampsanding to be tedious and slow- as have many of my associates who do this stuff for a living. Labor costs are scrutinized more heavily than material costs- for the most part.

But lets be real...you can tie up as much money in various compounds, buffing pads, etc as you do in a box of paper. I've seen guys dump WAY too much compound on the panel they were working on- throw foam pads on the floor and go get a new one..on and on.

You can be wasteful at any juncture of this process.

Its ALL expensive as anyone who buys this stuff can attest to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BLKZ06 View Post
    No offense taken at all.

I have found dampsanding to be tedious and slow- as have many of my associates who do this stuff for a living. Labor costs are scrutinized more heavily than material costs- for the most part.

But lets be real...you can tie up as much money in various compounds, buffing pads, etc as you do in a box of paper. I've seen guys dump WAY too much compound on the panel they were working on- throw foam pads on the floor and go get a new one..on and on.

You can be wasteful at any juncture of this process.

Its ALL expensive as anyone who buys this stuff can attest to.
    True true!

That's why I like being my own boss! I managed some high volume shops back in the 90's and it drove me nuts watching the employees spill and waste various product all the time.

Sweet job on the bike BTW!
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?

Post Thanks / Like

True true!

That's why I like being my own boss! I managed some high volume shops back in the 90's and it drove me nuts watching the employees spill and waste various product all the time.

Sweet job on the bike BTW!
    Thanks!

Great info in this thread- Mike has shown me there may be life without an air D/A !

I know what you mean about wasteful employees..I've dug bottles of compound out of the trash that were 1/4 full!

Post Thanks / Like
    You should check out the new Mirka electric orbital sanders!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I sooo want some of these!!

Mike Phillips

You should check out the new Mirka electric orbital sanders!

Are the designed for wetsanding or dampsanding?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast