autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    opie_7afe

Re: How-To: Make Your Own Rotary Backing Plate Extension!

chinese bolt? for hardware i only buy made in usa sir.i dunno why you guys are putting my idea down so much saying it will fail, its not like its holding up 1000 pounds of cement or something its for a buffer one made out of gold would probably work just as good.is it because its not bought and its made? what is it??? if your just going to say its going to break and post negativity then please dont post. steel has a fairly high tensile strength i doubt it will break. as i said each their own you dont need to make it but you guys dont need to say it will break because if you had any mechanical ability you would know the limitations of a 5/8th inch bolt, smaller bolts hold together engines for crying out loud.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie_7afe View Post
    chinese bolt? for hardware i only buy made in usa sir.
    To be honest with you, I wouldn't even trust a bolt that was made here in the U.S.
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

chinese bolt? for hardware i only buy made in usa sir.i dunno why you guys are putting my idea down so much saying it will fail, its not like its holding up 1000 pounds of cement or something its for a buffer one made out of gold would probably work just as good.is it because its not bought and its made? what is it??? if your just going to say its going to break and post negativity then please dont post. steel has a fairly high tensile strength i doubt it will break. as i said each their own you dont need to make it but you guys dont need to say it will break because if you had any mechanical ability you would know the limitations of a 5/8th inch bolt, smaller bolts hold together engines for crying out loud.
    Don't take it so personal. Your idea seems like a good one, that is as long as it doesn't go snap, crackle, BOOM!

This is a discussion forum, no?
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

opie_7afe

yes but everyone seems to say "it will break" without providing any knowledge of the true concerns of how and/or why it would break, you just say " it will break" and thats it, there is probably more of a chance my rotary will break before the extension will......anything can break but something like this breaking or "blowing up due to centrifugal force" is a crock to say the least....it seems like if its not bought from AG your in the wrong for posting about it and its a crap product that will fail....i really am tired of it, just because im young don't mean i'm an idiot. and to further prove my bolt will not snap is this link showing bolt strengths in all regions i doubt even if i used a grade 2 bolt it would snap from polishing paint....Bolt strengths

Post Thanks / Like

If you are not able to handle some honest friendly constructive criticism then perhaps go don't post or try the Barney forum.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    If you are not able to handle some honest friendly constructive criticism then perhaps go don't post or try the Barney forum.

Post Thanks / Like

I come from a generation where things were made out of necessity and not purchased at the local box store. You are not the only one to make this style of extension for a rotary. One member over on DB makes these and sells them on the forum. I like your idea of drilling and pinning them as a saftey feature. I've seen others welded or loc tite used . I would not be afraid to trust the extension that you have made and see no reason it would self destruct any more then a store bought unit. Just remember this is a discussion forum and everone is entitled to their own opinion. Peace.

Post Thanks / Like

Matt, it's not a bad idea. I would check out this link since it includes the shear strength of the bolts which for this case would be the big issue. For those that aren't sure what shear strength is, think of it like this: Ever break a bolt that is stuck (say on a car) and by twisting the head, you get the bolt to twist off? I guess that's the best way to put it. Anyway, the bolts are going to experience a lot more shear. however, because the rotary head is spinning at the same rate as extension, and the pad is spinning as well, I don't see why a grade 8 bolt would have issues. If you're holding the pad from moving, then i could see an issue. Anyway this is link. This is for a grade 2 bolt remind you Bolt strengths
    Trent
    PRD

opie_7afe

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    i dont see how your comments were constructive, but hey if you think they are then great....im not going to banter back and forth with you older guys because you are set in your ways ect....its ok though its just text and dont bother me one bit lol

Post Thanks / Like

i dont see how your comments were constructive, but hey if you think they are then great....im not going to banter back and forth with you older guys because you are set in your ways ect....its ok though its just text and dont bother me one bit lol
    Damn those old guys with their common sense!!

Seriously, no one has brought age into the argument except you. Obviously you are sensitive about it. No one is saying you are a dumb kid. You posted an idea on a public forum and you are getting feedback, that's how it works.

PS to the other poster, I sold some on DB, but they were machined out of solid metal, not threaded together.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast