autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone that keys a car should have their eyes gouged out with hot pokers. Great job. I have a stone chip in the middle of an otherwise perfect hood I would like to try this on. I have the Dr Colorchip kit, but it's not working out.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Key Repair-Step by Step Procedure

Quote Originally Posted by michal101 View Post
    Great work.

I had a quick question about a stone chip in the size of a pea that is chipped down to the primer on the top part of my rear passenger door just below the window. My question is I have a factory pearl type paint job on my 2000 Acura TL (pearl white) and it has 2 stages of touch up paint...1 white and then the 2nd is the pearl, so do you sand or buff out the paint and then apply the pearl and then sand and buff the pearl as well or???

BTW, this is my first venture into this, but I am looking forward to conquering this little issue!!!

Thanks, Mike
    Anyone???

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Key Repair-Step by Step Procedure

Anyone???
    Sorry, I missed that. Please tell me about your touch up. Does it come as a 2 part or one? Have you inquired with a paint supply house to see if the replacement paint is in one stage or 2 (Not including clear)? Every touch up paint I've purchased from my local paint supply house has been in one bottle. There was one vehicle (and I can't remember which one it was now) that they couldn't mix. I believe it might have been one of those iridescent (sp?) paint jobs.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Sorry, I missed that. Please tell me about your touch up. Does it come as a 2 part or one? Have you inquired with a paint supply house to see if the replacement paint is in one stage or 2 (Not including clear)? Every touch up paint I've purchased from my local paint supply house has been in one bottle. There was one vehicle (and I can't remember which one it was now) that they couldn't mix. I believe it might have been one of those iridescent (sp?) paint jobs.
    Hey Richy,

The local repair shop said that they could do it for me, but they thought that it would cost too much for a 12 year old car and the paint shop guy gave me small 2 containers (1 white and 1 a clear pearl) and told me to put them on separately.

BTW, I did go to a local Advance auto store over the weekend and did purchase a bottle that said is a close match to my car's color according to the paint book and it is in 1 container.

I hope this helps further explain my first post.

Thanks again, Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Richy,

The local repair shop said that they could do it for me, but they thought that it would cost too much for a 12 year old car and the paint shop guy gave me small 2 containers (1 white and 1 a clear pearl) and told me to put them on separately.

BTW, I did go to a local Advance auto store over the weekend and did purchase a bottle that said is a close match to my car's color according to the paint book and it is in 1 container.

I hope this helps further explain my first post.

Thanks again, Mike
    Mike, either one should work. I find the product easier to work with when it's in one bottle. Otherwise you need to apply a very small amount (but enough) of colour and then go over it again with clear after it dries enough. Multiple thin coats is better than a big blob.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, either one should work. I find the product easier to work with when it's in one bottle. Otherwise you need to apply a very small amount (but enough) of colour and then go over it again with clear after it dries enough. Multiple thin coats is better than a big blob.
    Thanks, Richy,

So, I do NOT sand the white paint prior to applying the clear coat then sand and buff again??? Is that correct?

Thanks, Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Richy,

So, I do NOT sand the white paint prior to applying the clear coat then sand and buff again??? Is that correct?

Thanks, Mike
    No, you wouldn't need to. If it's been a few days, wipe it down with IPA first and make sure it's dry. Sorry for the delay in answering.

Post Thanks / Like

Bringing this back. Did you use clear on the car in the first post? Or just color touch up paint?

Also would I be better off buying the touch up paint in a spray can and spraying it into a small container then using a toothpick to apply it? Or would it be better to get one of those 2in1 pens.

Post Thanks / Like

From post #83 above...

Every touch up paint I've purchased from my local paint supply house has been in one bottle.
    I'm fairly certain his touch-up paint in the original post was in one bottle. I'm also certain that means the clear was already in the mix. At least that's how my black was mixed at the paint supply store...the black and clear were in one bottle.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Excuse me for my ignorance, but what is a local paint supply house? A bodyshop?

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast