autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Key Repair-Step by Step Procedure

wow wow wow Ricky! top notch work!

i wish u lived in NC, i would see if i could get u to shadow me while i do this with my G35. i have a nice scratch which i inherited when i bought the car in 05 and also wifey keyed the door near the handle when opening the door with the keys in her hand(she was more upset than me btw cause she knows i baby this car). also there are some rock chip spots on the hood too. i would be so nervous doing this though.

i would definitly have to tape near the edges of the door since the scratch is pretty close. also i dont have a rotary so correction would be done with my PC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Nice save Richy!
    Thanks for the kind words Flash!

Quote Originally Posted by A.P.A.D. View Post
    wow wow wow Ricky! top notch work!

i wish u lived in NC, i would see if i could get u to shadow me while i do this with my G35. i have a nice scratch which i inherited when i bought the car in 05 and also wifey keyed the door near the handle when opening the door with the keys in her hand(she was more upset than me btw cause she knows i baby this car). also there are some rock chip spots on the hood too. i would be so nervous doing this though.

i would definitly have to tape near the edges of the door since the scratch is pretty close. also i dont have a rotary so correction would be done with my PC.
    For close to edges, you can use a product like Langka or Dr Chip. I got to within about 1/4" of the one edge. I checked it with the gauge a few times before doing that!! BTW, I would not recommend it with a PC. You just won't have the power. That's why I was suggesting a Dynabrade too..it is very powerful amongst Rotaries. The key is to being able to do the correction at the lowest speed possible (along with wool) to keep the heat to an absolute minimum!
    And, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the most amazing repairs I have seen outside of a body shop! That gives me a lot of hope that I can fix something that bad. Thanks for showing Richy!
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shoeless89 View Post
    One of the most amazing repairs I have seen outside of a body shop! That gives me a lot of hope that I can fix something that bad. Thanks for showing Richy!
    Thanks for those very kind words. I do appreciate it!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great work on the repair and thanks for the write up.
    Quick question. I am not familar with the Permanon Platinum product. Did you use a spray gun for speed, product requires it, uses less product, or some other reason?

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Richy, awesome job. Tell me something, what is Permanon Platinum?

I read that you said you actually SPRAYED the whole car with it?

To you and Mike...can a heat gun be used to help speed up the curing process or is this not advised?

Also i was wondering what PTG do you use? I hate to buy one but as a buddy of mine on here suggested, its cheap insurance when doing classic cars with original paint....or when doing heavy compounding or sanding.

I'll send you a PM with a couple more questions .

Great job...my drivers doors are keyed (had to buy em at a bone yard a few years back after an accident)...now i want to go out there and give this a shot.

Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

There used to be a post about permanon here, maybe deleted by AG

Richy's review of permanon
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Bz2L1-Bnw]Permanon Review - YouTube[/video]

For paint meter, I have the highline meter II

Post Thanks / Like

How far does that Permanon Platinum go?

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 604_Snooze View Post

Permanon Review - YouTube

Wow, thats pretty cool. So the difference w/the car he did in the vid compared to the one in the write up is he used an HVLP to apply it now instead of the flow master (id assume a little would go a lot further with an HVLP).

Any follow up vid as to how this held up to brake dust etc? Might be a separate subject, not trynig to jack the thread here lol
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoPaJa View Post
    Great work on the repair and thanks for the write up.
    Quick question. I am not familar with the Permanon Platinum product. Did you use a spray gun for speed, product requires it, uses less product, or some other reason?
    Permanon Platinum is a nano spray coating similar in properties to ReLoad. The cool thing about it is that you can spray it on and blow it off or dry it off with a towel. It is a great choice for things like the barrels of wheels that you would normally have to pull in order to access well. Not with this, spray on, blow off..done! Google "permanon review" and you'll see one that I did. It is listed here too, but may get pulled.
    The PP is sold as a concentrate. You mix between 5 to 10% product with 90-95% distilled water. It takes very little. The key is to spray it on evenly and lightly. I saw that application method on a You Tube video about Permanon and tried that method. I love it. You use far less and get great results.

Quote Originally Posted by Wills.WindowsAndWheels View Post
    Richy, awesome job. Tell me something, what is Permanon Platinum?
    See my above comments.
    I read that you said you actually SPRAYED the whole car with it?
    Yup, I used a spray gun and it works great that way. You can use a pump sprayer too. The key is to atomize the spray as much as possible.

To you and Mike...can a heat gun be used to help speed up the curing process or is this not advised?

Also i was wondering what PTG do you use? I hate to buy one but as a buddy of mine on here suggested, its cheap insurance when doing classic cars with original paint....or when doing heavy compounding or sanding.

I'll send you a PM with a couple more questions .

Great job...my drivers doors are keyed (had to buy em at a bone yard a few years back after an accident)...now i want to go out there and give this a shot.

Thanks. I changed the colour so as to not confuse your question with my comments. I use THIS gauge here. I love it. Accurate and very reasonably priced. I've had mine for a few years now. Don't do this work without one. The risk is too high. My gauge has saved my ass a few times where I've assumed there would be enough paint based on the type of car it was...and there wasn't. Saved me from being too aggessive and paying the price.
    I don't know about the heat. It might make it gummy. I would think air drying best, but hopefully Mike will chime in here too. PM him if he doesn't see your post.

Quote Originally Posted by 604_Snooze View Post

Permanon Review - YouTube

That, too, is my choice of gauge and I highly recommend it. Several people on here and elsewhere have purchased one on my recommendation and have been very happy with it.
    Thanks for posting the vid too.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast