autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Key Repair-Step by Step Procedure

Quote Originally Posted by Detailer Daemon View Post
    Great job!
    Thanks bud!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice job; I too am faced with a very similar key mark on my black Acura. I was hoping that maybe you could help answer a few questions that I have. I have a good understanding of applying the paint and wet sanding, but am concerned about the polishing. I don't have a rotatory buffer and currently use a Meguiars DA attachment that hooks up to my drill with foam pads. My concern is that this may not be efficient enough and might cause too much heat. Would you recommend I try and get a rotatory buffer or maybe I could use my current setup and find a wool pad? Would foam technically work if I made sure the surface didn't get too hot? Thanks for the write up!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rsarnold1s View Post
    Very nice job; I too am faced with a very similar key mark on my black Acura. I was hoping that maybe you could help answer a few questions that I have. I have a good understanding of applying the paint and wet sanding, but am concerned about the polishing. I don't have a rotatory buffer and currently use a Meguiars DA attachment that hooks up to my drill with foam pads. My concern is that this may not be efficient enough and might cause too much heat. Would you recommend I try and get a rotatory buffer or maybe I could use my current setup and find a wool pad? Would foam technically work if I made sure the surface didn't get too hot? Thanks for the write up!
    Boy oh boy, I'm so sorry I didn't see this before now! I have my sincere doubts as to whether the drill would work. I don't think it would in fact. I don't know what your situation is, but I would suggest picking up a Flex 3401. Run a wool pad on that and it will work just fine! Then, finish up with a polish and polishing pad and you'll be very pleased with the results.

Again, sorry for the delay in answering!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey richy.

I sent you a PM with a chip that I recently had happen. If you could reply, i'd really appreciate it!! Thanks again for all your help.

Thanks
    Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 761349 View Post
    Hey richy.

I sent you a PM with a chip that I recently had happen. If you could reply, i'd really appreciate it!! Thanks again for all your help.

Thanks
    Sean
    Sean, thanks for your PM and I'm delighted to see that this thread was able to help you. That's exactly why I wrote it!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work! Do you think 3000 grit sheets would work for the leveling? Just take a while?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrianJM View Post
    Awesome work! Do you think 3000 grit sheets would work for the leveling? Just take a while?
    Brian, yes it would work but it would be like trying to bail out a rowboat with a spoon...it'll take bloody forever! Use 2000 or better yet, 1000 but concentrate really hard on only using it on the paint that you've added and not the surrounding area. That is key. Then once you've got it leveled, then switch to the 2k and 3k. You won't need long with them at all. You're just diminishing the marks in the paint at that point. Hope that makes sense. I would also suggest using something (like an eraser) that is narrow (1/4" or so) that you can wrap the paper around. That will help immensely. I took a Meguiars hard foam sanding block and I cut it into varying width sections...that's what I use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Brian, yes it would work but it would be like trying to bail out a rowboat with a spoon...it'll take bloody forever! Use 2000 or better yet, 1000 but concentrate really hard on only using it on the paint that you've added and not the surrounding area. That is key. Then once you've got it leveled, then switch to the 2k and 3k. You won't need long with them at all. You're just diminishing the marks in the paint at that point. Hope that makes sense. I would also suggest using something (like an eraser) that is narrow (1/4" or so) that you can wrap the paper around. That will help immensely. I took a Meguiars hard foam sanding block and I cut it into varying width sections...that's what I use.
    Cool, sounds good. I'll try to get my hands on some 1000 and 2000 grit around town since I don't have the time to wait for a delivery. Do you have any suggestions where I could find some a local shops?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrianJM View Post
    Cool, sounds good. I'll try to get my hands on some 1000 and 2000 grit around town since I don't have the time to wait for a delivery. Do you have any suggestions where I could find some a local shops?
    Here in Canada, even Canadian Tire carries wet/dry sandpaper. In the US, one of the many auto supply shops should...I don't know, I'm just guessing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Here in Canada, even Canadian Tire carries wet/dry sandpaper. In the US, one of the many auto supply shops should...I don't know, I'm just guessing.
    Ok cool. I think the autozone has 3M 1500 maybe 2000 grit. Appreciate the info!

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast