autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Key Repair-Step by Step Procedure

It looks like the wet sanding did the trick. Excellent work!

Post Thanks / Like

That is downright amazing. Do you think this approach would work for rock chips on the hood? My daughter's car has an A LOT of fron end chips. I have never seen so many. Looks like a bunch of white specs all over the front end of the car. I don't like the cratered look of touch up paint, but this sanding method looks like it might do the trick. I definitely don't want to bite off more than I can chew, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sparkism13 View Post
    That is downright amazing. Do you think this approach would work for rock chips on the hood? My daughter's car has an A LOT of fron end chips. I have never seen so many. Looks like a bunch of white specs all over the front end of the car. I don't like the cratered look of touch up paint, but this sanding method looks like it might do the trick. I definitely don't want to bite off more than I can chew, though.
    Yes, or also using Langka. Check out this old job I did a few years ago. It came to mind as I did several different approaches on it:

9 year old Bimmer

Langka is a good alternative as is Dr Chip if you're not comfortable with wet sanding or it is not practical to do it given the location (close to an edge, etc).

And thank you Daemon!

Post Thanks / Like

Langka looks much less intimidating. Although, it seems a bit gimmicky. It has mixed reviews. I wonder what's in the "blob eliminator"? It seems like some type of paint remover. If I could find that chemical alone, I could probably do the same thing without buying that "kit".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sparkism13 View Post
    Langka looks much less intimidating. Although, it seems a bit gimmicky. It has mixed reviews. I wonder what's in the "blob eliminator"? It seems like some type of paint remover. If I could find that chemical alone, I could probably do the same thing without buying that "kit".
    Yes, Langka is basically a paint remover. The hard part with it is learning a deft touch. Too much and you remove it. It won't hurt anything though..the worse case is it removes what you did and you have to do it again. Once you get the hang of how to do it, it's pretty cool!

Post Thanks / Like

With Lanka, you only need to buy the blob remover. You probably have all the other stuff. IPA, sealant, credit card, etc. The cloth included is some type of felt, nothing special

Post Thanks / Like

Ok good to know. Thanks, guys. I may just give it a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Just ran across this thread. I just purchased the langka kit today. I read this whole post.

With all the advancements in gear and tools would you still use a rotary to pull the sanding marks? The reason I ask is because I have all the sanding discs in 3 and 6 inch. I have M100, 101, 105 and UC for compounds and I have the LC wool pads, Meg's 4 inch wool pad and Rupes 3 inch wool pad for the DA. I have a Rupes 21 and 75e. Will a combo of those compounds and pads be good to level the paint and not cause a lot of heat?
    I don't have a rotary because I thought that what I have would be enough.
    If I don't get the hang of the langka I was gonna resort to trying to sand it. Just wasn't sure if what I had would be enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phimp27 View Post
    Just ran across this thread. I just purchased the langka kit today. I read this whole post.

With all the advancements in gear and tools would you still use a rotary to pull the sanding marks? The reason I ask is because I have all the sanding discs in 3 and 6 inch. I have M100, 101, 105 and UC for compounds and I have the LC wool pads, Meg's 4 inch wool pad and Rupes 3 inch wool pad for the DA. I have a Rupes 21 and 75e. Will a combo of those compounds and pads be good to level the paint and not cause a lot of heat?
    I don't have a rotary because I thought that what I have would be enough.
    If I don't get the hang of the langka I was gonna resort to trying to sand it. Just wasn't sure if what I had would be enough.
    Let me just make sure you're clear on something: there are 2 alternatives to leveling the touch uppaint:
    1) Langka
    2) Wet sanding

If you use Langka, you will not be wet sanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job!

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast