autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Key Repair-Step by Step Procedure

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBuesching View Post
    Rich,

Thanks for the reply.

My bumper is made of painted metal. Think of any F150 (or other truck), typically the bumper is chrome, but mine is black because I have a 2008 F150 Harley Davidson version.

I have seen both the Dr. ColorChip & the Langka system. I agree that the Langka system is good chemical leveler. My chips are pitted quite deep -- was not sure how well the Dr. C would work. I even have a couple of spots that are down to the primer coat / bare metal.

With that said, you believe Dr. C is the best option for a severe road rash? Or try the same method you did on the door panel -- fill the road rash with paint / let dry / wet sand / polish?

I'm just not certain how well Dr. C works, especially with it being winter.
    OK, good news on the metal bumper! Dr C will fill it if you do enough coats, no different than using touch up on it. The Dr C kit just comes with its own leveler, that's all. Kinda convenient. Their site only recommends that you fill the bottom of the chip. While that may make it much less noticeable, getting the paint level with the surrounding area will make it much, much less visible from different angles. As far as being winter, make sure you do this work in a heated garage, or at least in temps over 40°. You are dealing with paint and want it to cure and set up properly. Wait till Spring if that's not an option. Over 50° is probably much better now that I think about it. Do it once, do it right.

Post Thanks / Like

Rich,

Sounds great I will order some Dr. C road rash kit and will report back my findings.

Thanks much!

Post Thanks / Like

Rich,

This is very impressive for a b/c finish. A lot of body shops would just say "screw it" and do a panel respray and blend.

That said, I'm wondering if you heard any feedback from the customer since the repair?

Reason I ask is that I notice you instructed the owner to purchase some touch up paint which, if over the counter, is likely to be lacquer-based. If so lacquer tends to leads to adhesion issues when mixed with factory enamel and urethane coatings on a car.

In addition, the results came out very impressive despite not applying a clear coat application post base touch-up. As a result, I assume a major section of clear coat has been burned up and substituted with some high grade polish/sealant. If so, how will that hold up over time? I assume if the owner did not periodically wax or seal the area, the dullness would come back no?

Looking forward to your response

Post Thanks / Like
    Stephen, this method using touch up from Cross Canada is one I have used for years on my own cars with no issue. I infer from your comments that the finish would be dull without a "high grade sealant" as you call it. Not the case at all! The compounding makes the whole area clear and glossy.
    And, no, I haven't heard from them which I take to be a good thing. This job was a referral from a friend, so had there been an issue at a later date, I know I would have heard from him.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Godlike job!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, what an awesome job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailingNoob View Post
    Wow, what an awesome job.
    Agreed now I have to get some sandpaper. For the lovely dings someone put in the door of my 8 month old car..

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So what happens to the clearcoat that gets sanded down. I realize that buffing it out gets it looking like new but what happens to that durable protection of a clearcoat? Do you rely on waxing the car in that situation?

Great job on the car btw.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bare Bones Wash View Post
    So what happens to the clearcoat that gets sanded down. I realize that buffing it out gets it looking like new but what happens to that durable protection of a clearcoat? Do you rely on waxing the car in that situation?

Good question.

The "idea" is to only sand as little as possible and thus remove as little clear paint as possible. FACTORY clearcoats are very thin so always use the least aggressive method to get the job done.

See the pictures in this thread for how thin factory clearcoat paint is....

Clearcoats are Scratch-Sensitive

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bare Bones Wash View Post

To literally answer your question, the clear gets turned into dust and residue that runs down the side of the car. But, I`m trying to only sand the fill-in area, not the area of factory clear around it. Of course, you do get some of the surrounding clear, but you really try to limit that. This of course, is once again why I say DON`T DO THIS unless you have a paint gauge. And no, I don`t rely on waxing. There is enough clear left afterward. Let`s assume there wasn`t enough clear there to do it in the first place...then you would not sand it and use an alternative method like Langka, etc. Hope that helps.

By the way, I`ve got round 2 coming tomorrow for this thread....another key scratch repair. I`ll be linking it in my next post here.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast