autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 - Permanent Paint Protection Made Easy

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    I did in fact transfer it back to the syringe following a recommendation from Chris@Optimum.

For the record, I used approximately 5cc for the Camry.

Great tip, thanks for sharing!
    You are welcome. I feel like people are scared to try the product but they should not be. if you are timid you could always prep one or two small panels and do just just them to get the hang of it. also saw the other tips that have been given and after reading this post our members should be prepared to apply the new coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan View Post
    As for high spots, what do they look like? Could someone explain how these spots happen and how to avoid them. I suppose there is no buffing "off" after a certain amount of time?
    High spots are just areas where the product was applied too thick and not leveled. All you need to do to avoid them is wipe away the excess before it fully dries. When you apply OC to a section, it will start to flash to clear within 30second to 2 minutes depending on the environment. When 95% has flashed to clear, you need to lightly buff any spots that have not flashed to clear to remove the "high spot" where the product is too thick.

Even if you miss a spot and allow it to harden, you can easily remove it with a pass or two of Poli Seal, GPS, or Finish without needing to reapply OC to the area. The light polishing will remove the excess without removing the base coat that has bonded to the paint.

Here is an example of a dried high spot on black paint:

Post Thanks / Like

Chris, after an application of Opti Coat is there a measurable difference between just the factory clear and Opti Coat with a paint gauge?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Chris, after an application of Opti Coat is there a measurable difference between just the factory clear and Opti Coat with a paint gauge?
    Yes, while normal LSP's add only about .02 microns, you should see 1-2 microns with OC when applied correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

So that would be a great way to add back protection if one decided to level their paint and get rid of the orange peel? If you were religious about maintaining the Opti Coat seal with further applications on a timely matter you could add the amount of clear reomved and end up with the same measurement before you leveled the clear?

Sorry, I just got this idea running through my head. I dont plan on leveling my paint anytime soon but with the new seleants that you and others have brought to the table just got me thinking. Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    So that would be a great way to add back protection if one decided to level their paint and get rid of the orange peel? If you were religious about maintaining the Opti Coat seal with further applications on a timely matter you could add the amount of clear reomved and end up with the same measurement before you leveled the clear?

Sorry, I just got this idea running through my head. I dont plan on leveling my paint anytime soon but with the new seleants that you and others have brought to the table just got me thinking. Just curious.
    When cars are preped on assembly lines the compounding a polishing steps to remove sanding marks removes 2-4 microns. It's safe to say that a two step reconditioning would be comparable unless we're very aggressive, so you could add back some...but probably not as much as you've removed. The ability to add some back permenantly is huge though and will allow you to correct 1-2 microns in the future without hitting factory paint again. Our coating allong with education about proper care and avoiding over polishing can be invaluable for those wanting to protect their investments.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Does it degrade the longevity of the OC2.0 stored inside the syringe after transferring it back?
    No, it won't degrade it if replaced timely. Exposure to moisture and air can cause polymerization to start, but containment in the sprayer for no longer than is necessary to coat a vehicle will do no harm. Removing the exposure by storing the remaindier in the syringe after use will stop polymerization.

I know Nick transfered the whole contents, but I usually only transfer 10cc as that's what I use on average.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Chris,I just watched the OptiCoat2.0 video over at your forum and liked Anthony's yellow pad/latex glove/blue shop paper towel method.
    I wounder how application would go using Anthony's method,with a small spritz bottle to cover the blue shop paper towel?

BTW,If I had a compressor.I would be all over the OptiSpray Gun/OptiCoat2.0
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
    No, it won't degrade it if replaced timely. Exposure to moisture and air can cause polymerization to start, but containment in the sprayer for no longer than is necessary to coat a vehicle will do no harm. Removing the exposure by storing the remaindier in the syringe after use will stop polymerization.

I know Nick transfered the whole contents, but I usually only transfer 10cc as that's what I use on average.
    Thanks for the reply Chris! Much appreciated!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

I may have to revisit OptiCoat2.0 beause Anthony put about (3) coats of it on the black vehicle (in the video),and the finish did not looked stained(High Spots)
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast