autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Trends: Flexible Backing Plates

Trends: Flexible Backing Plates

When I use the term flexible backing plate I don't mean the plate portion of the backing plate is flexible I mean there's a foam interface between the actual backing plate itself and the Velcro Hook-N-Loop material where a pad attaches.

Personal comment...
    I like the cushion and flexible support provided by a flexible backing plate and recommend them for anyone new to and learning to use a rotary buffer. Start with the 5" backing plate with 5.5" pads and then add the smaller backing plate and the larger backing plate as you progress.

Took some pictures for another thread and while I was at it took a few more and thought I would post them here with some comments...

A current trend is for flexible backing plates for rotary buffers, these help for a variety of different reasons,

Flexible Backing Plates provide,
    • An extra level of cushion when using a rotary buffer which helps you when buffing on curved panel and over body lines.

• The flexible foam interface heps to distribute pressure more evenly over the face of the buffing pad.

• They can also make the buffing process less aggressive as compared to using a stiff backing plate which can help to reduce swirls.

Here's a picture of the three flexible backing plates of which at this time we have the to larger versions in stock.

Dimensions

7" backing plate measures 6 15/16" in diameter, basically it a hair under 7"

5" backing plate measures 4 7/8"

3" backing plate measures 2 7/8"

We don't have the 3" in stock yet but as soon as we do we'll announce it and I'll update this thread with the appropriate link.

Meguiar's also offers the W-66 flexible backing plate in the context of my definition above for their Solo Pads and while it's only recommended for Solo Pads I have good luck using it with other pads, both foam and wool.

Caution
    When using the W-66 with the Flex PE 14 the space between the plastic housing of the Flex and the plastic back of the backing plate is marginal. I have had one friend experience where the two parts made contact and particles of plastic shredded off. If this happens when you're buffing and the plastic particles enter the buffing process you could instill scratches so check your clearances if you use the Meguiar's W-66 with a Flex PE 14.

Just to note I have not had any issues but I did want to point this out... see pictures below...

On Autogeek.net

3" Flexible Backing Plate - Not in stock yet

5" Flexible Backing Plate

7" Flexible Backing Plate - Link to be added today

Meguiars Solo Easy Buff W66 Rotary Backing Plate 6 Inch

Mike Phillips

Re: Trends: Flexible Backing Plates

***Bump***

Here you go Tom....

Tom saw surgical buffing in this project and PM'd me for more information.

Video & Pictures: 2012 Black Camaro Convertible - Blackfire Show Car Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

Great. Thanks Mike. I love my new 5 inch plate and look forward to picking up the 3 inch.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you comfortable using the 3" backing plate measuring 2 7/8" on a 4" pad?

Is this the same bp? Flex-Foam HD Rotary Backing Plate, spot buff backing plate, 3" backing plate, circular polisher backing plate

EDIT: I'm looking to get similar fit as this da bp...but for the rotary

Last edited by Vegas Transplant; 12-11-2012 at 04:32 PM.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Trend: Small buffing pads

Another trend I see for the future is for a greater selection small buffing pads for all polishers but primarily for rotary buffers because they enable you to buff the paint on thin panels without buffing on top of an edge or for buffing in tight areas.

Here are some prototype pads to be introduced in the future using various foam formulas so you can match the pad the project at hand...

This is a 4" pad with a 3" backing plate attached to it. While the total diameter is 4" the front of the pad is tapered and the actual flat surface area of the working face of the pad measures 3 1/2"

The taper at the back of the pad provides support to the working face while still retaining a stable but smaller Velcro attachment base for use with small backing plates. This locates the edge of the backing plate in-wards to provide a generous safety margin between the face and edges of the pad and the backing plate.

3 1/2" Buffing Pads

3 1/5" pad next to 2 1/4" pad

2 1/4" Buffing Pads
    Here's another prototype buffing pad with a 3" diameter measurement for the back of the pad but because of the taper to the edge at the front of the pad the working face of the pad only measures 2 1/4"

Neither of these pads are currently in production as there are more tweaks to be made first. This is a trend for buffing pads into the future...

Didn't see these in the store, any manufacturer link?
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    Didn't see these in the store, any manufacturer link?
    This was some experimental pads, the smallest of the pads in the picture were too small and the softer foams compress too much. We brought in the 5" beveled pads for use with the Flex 3401 and rotary buffers but not the smaller pads, at least not at this time.