autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 13 of 58 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to try this under my hood since it is always my problem, since it can withstand jn high temp.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collinite #845: The Definitive How-To Guide For This Legendary Wax

Quote Originally Posted by falkirk View Post
    ....<snip>...

So can I add a sprayer head and go to work, as there is very little chance of it becoming paste like. Also it shouldn't gum up the sprayer in these temperatures right?

If the sprayer head does gum up, then what should I do to get it working again? Will warming the whole bottle in warm water loosen up the wax in the sprayer head?
    I added the spray head right to the Colinite bottle and used that. I did not transfer to a smaller bottle. When I am done, I pull the spray head, put the factory cap back on, and set the pickup tube in water and pump water through the sprayer to clean out product in the spray head. I am expecting it would gum up a spray head real quick, but that is a guess on my part.

I am wasting a bit of product doing this, but for the cost of the product vs a spray head, I think this is the cheaper option.

Good for you, already having liquid wax. I got mine it was in the low teens, so mine was rock hard. If you keep it at ~ 70* it will stay fairly liquid. I take the bottle in the house the night prior and let it sit on the window sill in the sun, it is ready to go in 1 day.

Post Thanks / Like

I leave my sprayer in the bottle. I leave my bottle sitting outside in the sun or in a car when I know I am going to use the wax. That is enough heat to melt the wax inside the tube.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in a dilemma as in how much of 845 to use. Reason being I am based in Kolkata, India, and except Meg's none of the detailing product companies are here. Even from Meg's I cannot get their squeezie bottles which Nick has suggested. So how can I use it with just the existing 845 bottle with its factory cap and a foam applicator pad.

So if I open the bottle and just hold the applicator pad on the opening and just tilt the bottle so that the wax just touches the face of the pad, will it be enough product or too much product?

Just to add, temperatures in India (especially my city Kolkata) ranges between 77 degree F to 109.4 degree F in the summers, and 46 to 65 in the winters with an odd day going below 40, all with 75 to 98% humidity year round. So naturally when I received my bottle of 845 yesterday it was in the liquid consistancy state that you guys in the States bring it to before using.

So can I add a sprayer head and go to work, as there is very little chance of it becoming paste like. Also it shouldn't gum up the sprayer in these temperatures right?

If the sprayer head does gum up, then what should I do to get it working again? Will warming the whole bottle in warm water loosen up the wax in the sprayer head?
    Just place the applicator over the opening of the bottle, tilt the bottle, then scrunch up the applicator to spread the wax on the pad's face - this will be more than enough for a panel or two.

I live in a tropical country - routine daytime temperatures of 90 to 100 F - and I still had the wax clogging the spray head. Couldn't get the head clean, despite leaving it in hot water, soaking in dishwashing liquid, and even soaking in IPA.

Also, regarding those dispenser bottles... I've tried using similar ones with 845 twice - in both cases, I could smell the solvents in the wax outgassing (I keep my waxes in a big plastic container), and a label I had on one of the bottles fell off. I think that the plastic those bottles are made of (most likely LDPE) is permeable to the solvents in 845; I had better luck using a PET bottle, or you can use a PVC bottle, which is the same plastic that the original 845 bottle is made of.
    Francis

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by umi000 View Post
    Just place the applicator over the opening of the bottle, tilt the bottle, then scrunch up the applicator to spread the wax on the pad's face - this will be more than enough for a panel or two.

I live in a tropical country - routine daytime temperatures of 90 to 100 F - and I still had the wax clogging the spray head. Couldn't get the head clean, despite leaving it in hot water, soaking in dishwashing liquid, and even soaking in IPA.

Also, regarding those dispenser bottles... I've tried using similar ones with 845 twice - in both cases, I could smell the solvents in the wax outgassing (I keep my waxes in a big plastic container), and a label I had on one of the bottles fell off. I think that the plastic those bottles are made of (most likely LDPE) is permeable to the solvents in 845; I had better luck using a PET bottle, or you can use a PVC bottle, which is the same plastic that the original 845 bottle is made of.
    Thanks for the reply umi000, seems to be the climatic conditions in your place is similar to mine, extreme heat and humidity in the summers, all day moderate to heavy rain in the monsoon season and decently cold in the winters.

In that case, how long have u had to wait till 845 is ready to be wiped off. Considering our high heat and humidity I'm not expecting the drying time to be much.

One more thing, regarding using 845 with an applicator pad, doesn't one need to first mist it with some water in order to reduce smearing?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome write up Nick. I'll be using your tips tomorrow morning when I do my Tacoma. Mahalo!

Post Thanks / Like

I transfered about 1/3 of the bottle of #845 into a spray bottle, that's always kept indoors, and it stays liquid. I never have to heat it up to thin it. The rest of the product left in the #845 bottle does however stay solid until it's heated. I have no explanation for this. Maybe because it's a smaller amount and it's been shaken alot and of course it's inside staying at about 65 to 75 degrees. It stills puzzles me. I do really like the product, great results and easy to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply umi000, seems to be the climatic conditions in your place is similar to mine, extreme heat and humidity in the summers, all day moderate to heavy rain in the monsoon season and decently cold in the winters.

In that case, how long have u had to wait till 845 is ready to be wiped off. Considering our high heat and humidity I'm not expecting the drying time to be much.

One more thing, regarding using 845 with an applicator pad, doesn't one need to first mist it with some water in order to reduce smearing?
    Apologies for the late reply - it usually hazes over in a couple of minutes, but if you apply thinly enough, you can apply to the whole car and remove afterwards - this is my preference, just to ensure that the wax has completely dried. (I've had carnauba sweating issues with 845, which was due to not giving it enough drying time and applying to thickly.)
    Francis

Post Thanks / Like

Is it a hybrid wax/sealant like Meg's #26?

I stumbled upon this on the Collinite site FAQ:

2. What’s the difference between the auto waxes; No. 845 Insulator Wax, No. 476s Super Double Coat and the No. 915 Marque D’ Elegance?
    All 3 last step waxes serve the same function: to provide a high gloss carnauba shine and lasting protection. All 3 contain copious amounts of wax-both rare Brazilian carnauba and premium synthetic polymers. However, their degree of durability, ease of use, and warmth of shine vary. Think of it this way;

1. No.476s – most durable protection/weather defense. Most elbow grease required during application.

2. No. 915- 2nd most durable and slightly easier than the 476s to apply/remove. No. 915 lends our warmest shine to dark tones like navy and black due to its highest concentration of rare carnauba.

3. No. 845- easiest of the 3 to apply/remove with slightly less durability than the No. 915.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I'm new to Autogeek, from Hong Kong
    I've bought two bottle of Collinite #845 on eBay, but before using the wax, polishing have to be done first, so could anyone recommend any polish products are easily wipe on and off?

I have tried a bit 845 on side mirror, but it is difficult to check the wax are hazy and dried enough, is it too thin ? it looks very transparent...

My car is Black Color.
    Thanks

Page 13 of 58 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast