autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To: Engine Detailing with Video

Quote Originally Posted by radicalDESIGNZ View Post
    Nice job, I really liked your video! You should make more
    Thanks, there are a few more floating around out there.
    MDetail (Mike/Michael)
    Canyon Country, CA (Valencia Area)
    MichaelSchoelen.com - Photography

Post Thanks / Like

im scared to go near my engine bay lol so much electrical etc :/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mentalm View Post
    im scared to go near my engine bay lol so much electrical etc :/
    True but just take precautions. First make sure the engine is cold to the touch. Wait at least 30min for aluminum, preferable 3 hours or even over night. Cover the alternator with a plastic bag. Cover/plug up the air intake with plastic bags and or tape. Spray wd40 over any exposed electrical connections, there are few in newer cars. In my old bens I would spay the glow plugs with wd40. Lastly don't use direct water pressure, use a hose pipe with the nozzle on "shower."

To dry use a leaf blower(not an air compressor), and wipe up any standing water with a rag. Now dress the engine bay, then turn the engine on for 20mins keeping it on idle. Check the engine bay for smoke/steam. If there any shut it off. After 20 mins rev the engine or drive it for a bit.

If you want to be environmentally friendly lay a tarp down and cat litter under the engine bay and contact your city on how to safely dispose. Or just spot clean with a bottle of APC and a rag if you don't want to rinse.

For customers cars inform them about what could happen and what you will do to prevent complications. Make sure you are insured. I tend to charge by the hour, Its cheaper for customers that way and it takes 45mins to 90mins. I charge 15-25 an hour depending on how far they are, and the size and condition of the vehicle. I am still trying to build a client base.
    Owner of Green Mobile Car Spa
    2002 Chrysler Sebring coupe 3.0liter

Post Thanks / Like

Very good looking work there! Thanks for all the tips. Now that my wheel wells are done http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ll-detail.html
    my next project is going to be my engine bay.
    In the old days I would just go to the self serve car wash with a can of Gunk and spray off all the oil leak build up off. AGO has taught me there is a whole lot more to it than that. Again, great video and Thanks for the tips!
    Dave

Black is not a color, it's a part time job!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weavers View Post
    True but just take precautions. First make sure the engine is cold to the touch. Wait at least 30min for aluminum, preferable 3 hours or even over night. Cover the alternator with a plastic bag. Cover/plug up the air intake with plastic bags and or tape. Spray wd40 over any exposed electrical connections, there are few in newer cars. In my old bens I would spay the glow plugs with wd40. Lastly don't use direct water pressure, use a hose pipe with the nozzle on "shower."

To dry use a leaf blower(not an air compressor), and wipe up any standing water with a rag. Now dress the engine bay, then turn the engine on for 20mins keeping it on idle. Check the engine bay for smoke/steam. If there any shut it off. After 20 mins rev the engine or drive it for a bit.

If you want to be environmentally friendly lay a tarp down and cat litter under the engine bay and contact your city on how to safely dispose. Or just spot clean with a bottle of APC and a rag if you don't want to rinse.

For customers cars inform them about what could happen and what you will do to prevent complications. Make sure you are insured. I tend to charge by the hour, Its cheaper for customers that way and it takes 45mins to 90mins. I charge 15-25 an hour depending on how far they are, and the size and condition of the vehicle. I am still trying to build a client base.

thanks for the advice ive just been taking a damp rag and doing it by hand which has kept it decent. never new about the wd40 trick . its scary i mean if uve ever seen the engine bay of a 2010 cobalt ss turbo. theresss alottta stuff there that watter dont mix with lol. so yeah im nervous about it i wont touch ppls motors i do cause i do it on the side. and i wont take the chance. exterior / interior only no motor lolol for now cause im still new

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason the video is out on the front page.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI4abN1wQ1s]YouTube - ‪How To: Engine Detail‬‏[/video]
    MDetail (Mike/Michael)
    Canyon Country, CA (Valencia Area)
    MichaelSchoelen.com - Photography

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123