autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Mike Phillips

Re: Guide to taping off a car

Wow!

You did great! And you're right, a lot of new cars have a lot of rubber and plastic trim and gaskets on them and if you don't tape them off then you get to go back and spend time and frustration trying to remove the residue.

For what it's worth, I'm really slow at taping off cars, so don't worry about it.

You want to see someone that's fast... watch a professional painter, someone that's been painting cars for years... they grab their paper and tape car and literally fly around a car.

Nice work and thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for showing the update. Even with all this info in the thread, I'm a visual learner. I'm very tempted into buying the video now..

Post Thanks / Like

This is an incredible thread for us beginners too. I've been following along albeit in the virtual sense. Some excellent hints, ideas on technique and various tips to make it easier. I also like the way you folks are explaining the "WHY" are we doing this rather than just saying here's a picture to look at (most everyone on this forum does include the 'whys', just emphasizing it).

Mike P. - You are correct, a professional painter that has painted a few years can tape/paper off a car so fast it will make your head swim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phoneguy44 View Post

So how do you polish the trim on the doors? Do you polish the door, untape, and the tape around the trim?? I could use some tips.
    2007 Audi A4 3.2 Brilliant Black

"Chance favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro3.2 View Post
    So how do you polish the trim on the doors? Do you polish the door, untape, and the tape around the trim?? I could use some tips.
    I'm not quite sure what you're asking...if the trim is plastic...you wouldnt polish it, just dress it. If it is chrome or something like that...depending on the condition its in you can polish it by hand after you untape it especially if its a small area....if its a bigger area (like a chrome bumper) then you can polish it with a 4" pad.
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

You are correct, I should have been more specific. My trim is color matched and painted. I do not have 4" pads and I was wondering if there was a technique using 5.5" pads. Sorry about the confusion.
    2007 Audi A4 3.2 Brilliant Black

"Chance favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phoneguy44 View Post
    Looks great! I think you taped up everything we would, corners look good and well stuck on. Best tip is to make sure vehicle is dry

In addition, if you polish the B-pillar trim, make sure to cover the little bit of rubber and window trim that meets up to it, and extend the tape down and around about the size of the pad.

EDIT: Add some tape to the underside of the mirrors as to protect from the pad hitting it as you polish the door under the mirror area!

Extra EDIT: I prefer not to place the roll of tape on the paint (roof) Leave it on the sunroof glass or windshield.

And to all you guys complaining about $14 to learn how to tape from The Master of taping, get a life. You have received much more value than $14 just by reading this thread.

Local to Southeast Michigan
    Serving Nationwide

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlb85 View Post
    ...You have received much more value than $14 just by reading this thread.
    No argument here. Learning how to do something right the first time, instead of the trial-and-error way, is worth a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing I don't understand is if the videos were made to sell to be able to teach then why would the video have only certain time where you can only watch for I think 30 days after that you will have to pay to watch again.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But that's what I got told last time.

"You can help create your own luck, you can make things happen through hard work and intelligence."- Donald J. Trump

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456