autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The story of 3 H's - Horrendous, Horror Story and Hack Detailers...

Quote Originally Posted by robert1955 View Post
    I do better in temperatures of 60 to 70s C.
    60* to 70* Celsius? That's like 140* to 158* Fahrenheit. Where do you vacation, the Sahara Desert?

Just kidding, just kidding.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me or was the effect kind of cool? The swirls definitely suck, but seeing the sun rays and light rays shined all over the hood in a non-uniform pattern kind of seemed artsy looking.

Don't take this the wrong way, I would never want that finish on my car, just thought it looked cool

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post

Is it just me or was the effect kind of cool? The swirls definitely suck, but seeing the sun rays and light rays shined all over the hood in a non-uniform pattern kind of seemed artsy looking.

Sometimes you'll see metalwork purposefully swirled out by the craftsman, this usually done to metals like stainless steel that won't rust and thus doesn't have to be coated so the artsy swirl design ground into the metal will endure.

Post Thanks / Like

wow... That was sickening to see on any car!, much more-so on a black mustang. Looks like you or whoever did this is a freaking miracle worker... Too bad you are in Florida, or else I would love to attend one of your classes. Let me know if you ever have a class in the Portland / Seattle area, lol. Thanks for all the advice and information. I've been browsing for what seems like days, and I am barley scratching the surface...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Starsky View Post

wow... That was sickening to see on any car!, much more-so on a black mustang. Looks like you or whoever did this is a freaking miracle worker...
    It was me, I used the Megs DA Correction System and from start to finish it took me about 6 hours and I never claim to be the fastest detailer in the world.

Too bad you are in Florida, or else I would love to attend one of your classes.
    At my last class I had two people fly in from the West Coast, Seattle and L.A.

Let me know if you ever have a class in the Portland / Seattle area, lol.
    I was the Meguiar's Trainer for Oregon, Washington and Idaho for 3 years taught TONS of classes in your area... you just missed them all...

Thanks for all the advice and information. I've been browsing for what seems like days, and I am barley scratching the surface...

Great forum here, lots of awesome members, read, learn, ask questions you'll get better and better... then help others...

Here's the write-up for this Mustang...

2006 Mustang GT Convertible - Meguiar’s DA Microfiber Polishing System

Post Thanks / Like

I had a few minor holograms like that but I thought it was from that oily wax build up I had

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post

I had a few minor holograms like that but I thought it was from that oily wax build up I had

You can have what looks like swirly paint and the swirl-look is simply messed up wax application or wipe off.

But these pictures here show holograms and they are a specific scratch pattern imparted into paint by a rotary buffer.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for bringing this up.

This is a concise, well written article that sums up what we see on the streets on a daily basis.

Kudos.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RPM_BR View Post

Thanks for bringing this up. This is a concise, well written article that sums up what we see on the streets on a daily basis.

Kudos.

Thank you for the compliment.

And just to point out, this article is almost 7 years old and it's just as accurate today as the day I wrote and posted it.

Here's the time stamp on the first post of this thread

08-24-2010, 04:45 PM

And also just to point out, when reading this article, note how I wrote it VERY CAREFULLY so as not to hurt anyone's feelings as that was not and is not my intention. My intention was to simply state what the reality is of detailing in our industry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I met plenty of "detailers" and also "Painter's Helpers", that knew they were instilling swirls as a result of their buffing work but there was nothing they could do about it outside of quiting.

In these situations, these are employees provided products and tools by the company and their job is to do the best they can with what they are given. I know for a fact that many of these people knew they were doing hack work and didn't like it but the situation they were in was out of their control.
    Mike,
    i have read through this thread a few times since I joined this forum, and this really caught my attention this time through. I must've scanned over it the first couple times.

-Anyways, this caught my attention as I was in this situation at one point in time with a previous job. It is not a fun situation to be in, and its even worse for those of us with diagnosed OCD. Having to produce hack work of your own to cover up/fix hack work from careless painters- just to get a vehicle out the door on schedule -is not something I wish upon anyone.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast