autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration

This kit is another option; it is quite a bit less expensive (only $20.00), and very capable of producing EXCELLENT results. Here is a set of headlight lenses I restored using it...
    3M Headlight Lens Restoration System, headlight polishing kit, restore yellow headlights, 3M plastic polish

Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DARK HORSE View Post
    This kit is another option; it is quite a bit less expensive (only $20.00), and very capable of producing EXCELLENT results. Here is a set of headlight lenses I restored using it...
    3M Headlight Lens Restoration System, headlight polishing kit, restore yellow headlights, 3M plastic polish

wow those were some ugly lights lol..came out pretty decent for a 20 kit...3m seems to have some good stuff...

Post Thanks / Like

For severally oxidized or fogged lights I've wet sanded them with 1000 then 1500 grit paper then on to the polished phase. It's amazing how great they come out considering the shape they were in...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used a light buffing compound and a buffer to restore headlights that have clouded over or yellowed. It did make them look better, but about 2 weeks later, they needed it again. I'm curious if this compound will last about the same time or longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motonut View Post
    I have used a light buffing compound and a buffer to restore headlights that have clouded over or yellowed. It did make them look better, but about 2 weeks later, they needed it again. I'm curious if this compound will last about the same time or longer.
    I've fallen in love with this process as a sealer (very LONG term sealer) for headlights after clearing them up.

Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

Its a LONG thread but worth reading. In short, mix 50/50 Helmsman clear high gloss spar urethan and Mineral spirits. You only need a VERY little amount...you wipe it on with one of those Scotts blue shop paper towels ($2 for a roll) and then just let it dry.

I did my own experiment....did 105/205 then plastX....it lasted a couple months and then the foggy look started coming back. So i then polished them out again but afterwards added the sealant idea i spoke of above...so far no difference. The link shows people who have gone over a year without doing anything to them in full sun and stay crystal clear. So far mine have gone 2 months or so and they are still crystal clear...and ive heard if you put a little wax on them whenever you do your car..it helps em last even longer, which makes sense to me.

Hope this helps some
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

I just used the 3M Headlight Lens Restoration System on my son's Dodge van last week and they came out great. (Course, as I am working away, I get to thinking that I should have taken a "before" photo.) Anyway, the only problem is that ya don't see any progress as ya advance from one step to the next. Ya work along untill finally the rubbing compound is removed with the cloth and there it is. All nice and clear. I can even see the bulb way in the back. lol. Course this is possibly the same with the other brands of lens restoration products as well.

The next day I followed up with the Helmsman clear high gloss spar urethane and Mineral spirits technique. Which seemed to make the lens even more clear. Time will tell ifin the urethane and mineral spirits solution will keep the lens clean.
    Smoke Metallic '06 Altima

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wills.WindowsAndWheels View Post
    wow those were some ugly lights lol..came out pretty decent for a 20 kit...3m seems to have some good stuff...
    i hate ford headlight there hard to do a friend of mines hve a expodition i been tryig to get his light to look good what im doing wrong call me if u can 8033208843 reggie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reggie1967 View Post
    i hate ford headlight there hard to do a friend of mines hve a expodition i been tryig to get his light to look good what im doing wrong call me if u can 8033208843 reggie

Hey Reg,

tell me what you have done so far in your attempts. Do you have any pictures? I'll try to help anyway i can.
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wills.WindowsAndWheels View Post
    Hey Reg,

tell me what you have done so far in your attempts. Do you have any pictures? I'll try to help anyway i can.
    call me let talk i will tell u 8033208843 reggie

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperjam View Post
    Volkswagen A4 Jetta lenses are notorious for turning yellow and scratched up I wet sanded my lenses with 2000 grit, then 1500 grit, then I used rubbing compound then Meguiars PlastiX on it. They look brand new.
    yes my gf's jetta's headlights are... unbelievably fogged up. i've been doign a lot of research here, so i should be able to sand-down/polish and then... post-pics!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123