autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing steps - same-o same-o or do I up my game?

Hello, I'm pretty much a novice detailer although I've been washing and 'detailing' my 2019 dark gray Silverado for awhile now. Here's what I've been doing for the last few years.
    1. Every spring, I live in Michigan, I spend 500 bucks at a detailing shop for an inside / outside buff and clean.
    2. Then every Friday through the fall I wash with Optimum No Rinse and then use Maguire's Ultimate Quik Detailer spray over the whole truck. I use many quality fiber towels. I'll go thru a brushless car wash if its real dirty before I do my cleaning. I don't drive it much, 23,000 miles on it right now, so it doesn't get very dirty usually. I'll do the tires with a Maguires tire cleaner also. I spend some time on the inside and I get the windows streak free but the outside is where I spend most of the time.

Thats it. It looks pretty good if you ask me. But I'm wondering if its time to change my routine. I'm retired so I have the time to do more if need be.

So my questions are numerous but I'll try to keep them understandable and at a minimum.

1. What would a slightly more advanced routine be?
    2. Buy a buffer polisher? Which one? Something less than $300. That eliminates the detailing shop, correct? I dont have many but do these buffer polishers get rid of swirl marks?
    3. If I buy a polisher how often do I do that? Every week? Can you buff and polish to much?
    4. Do I still use a detail spray? How often? And can you do that to much? When are you just adding a layer of spray detail to last weeks?
    5. There are a ton of products to use. Any recommendations for each step?

I guess thats it. So if anyone has a 'better' routine based on what you just read, and your willing to lay it out in steps, I'd appreciate reading your answers.

Thanks,
    123rdm

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing steps - same-o same-o or do I up my game?

Hey folks, as I browse autogeek I'm finding some of my answers. Mike Phillips articles seem to be where to start.

I found this from over 10 years ago. I've never done claying but it sounds important. And I'll need to buy a DA polisher. This seems like the whole 9 yards approach. My current way is probably 2 yards. Somewhere in the middle of 2 and 9 sounds good.

It all depends what your goals are and what the finish looks like.
    Wash
    Clay
    Compound
    Polish
    Seal
    Wax

You may be able to get away with a polish in order to remove much of the finish defects thus removing the compounding. Sealant is a product that many are not familiar with but typically protect longer than waxes and go down easily so I recommend keeping "it" and forgo the wax step.

Wash
    Clay
    Polish
    Seal