Headlight Correction - Wetsanding versus just Buffing - Results One Year Later

I found this interesting. Interesting enough to take some pictures and then share with the rest of you.

Here's the car. This is my neighbor's 2000 Honda CRV.

2000 Honda CRV

Pictures from the May 2019 Detailing Bootcamp Class

The Honda CRV wash washed and decontaminated on Saturday morning, the second day of my 3-day car detailing class.

We used this Honda to teach Production Detailing. Watch a video that explains Production Detailing here.

Headlight Correction

Here's the BEFORE shots

Here's the AFTER shots

Here's the car after my class detailed the inside and outside.

Passenger side
For the passenger side we only machine compounded using a wool pad on a rotary buffer with RUPES Zephir Gloss Compound.

Driver's side
For the driver's side - we machine sanding using Mirka Abralon Sanding Discs in this order,

#1000 --> #2000 --> #3000 --> #4000

Then we compounded with the RUPES Zephir Gloss Compound.

Both headlights were sealed using Optimum Polymer Technologies Headlight Coating.

One year later

Here's how the headlights have held up at the one year mark. This car is always parked outside and the front of the car is hit daily by water sprinklers.

Both sides looked great after the different headlight correction approaches were used. BUT - the side that was machine sanded and then compounded still looks great after one-year.

The lesson?

Well my take-away is, when headlights are neglected to the point where they have yellowed and oxidized from years of neglect - the BEST way to restore them for the longest lasting results is to MACHINE SAND to remove ALL the dead, oxidized plastic. This approach reveals or uncovers a fresh BASE of plastic and from the pictures you see above - the results simply last longer.

If you want Mirka 3" Sanding Discs - better get them while they are still available on the AG store. I keep hearing they're going away.

MIRKA Abralon Sanding Discs

And you want and need some interface pads for this type of work.

MIRKA Interface Pads