autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Avoid water spots - Fast and simple way I dry my cars

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd Dtlr View Post

Sorry for all the questions. It's just that I always feel rushed when I wash outdoors as my driveway does not have shade and I'm fighting water spots all the time. It looks like you didn't have shade when you washed that car.

Thanks
    Maybe look into investing in one of those pop up canopies? That way you have shade when and where you want it!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Avoid water spots - The fast and simple way I dry my cars by Mike Phillips

Mike, the quickest way to avoid water spots is to use a waterless or rinse less wash

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post

Mike, the quickest way to avoid water spots is to use a waterless or rinse less wash

I'm not a huge fan or user of rinseless washes, just doesn't work for me as it makes the floor a mess. But anyone that reads enough of my write-ups for all the cars I detail or all the cars we detail for projects here at Autogeek knows we use a LOT of waterless washes.

We also use a LOT of waterless washes on our TV show because so many of the cars are in man caves, museums or inside a convention for a car show.

This was more for people like me that still wash their OWN vehicles with the traditional water hose, wash mitt and bucket of soap. (I actually also use a foam gun).

Anyone interested in how to use a foam gun, the below article is the most in-depth article on this topic with lots of pictures showing you,

How the foam gun works
    How to set it up
    How to fill it up
    How to use it

And the most important tip shows you what NOT to do.

How to use a foam gun by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

That wagon is too cool. Those wheels are the perfect resto-mod design. From the photos you barely notice the modern wheels.

I remember the first time I feel in love with a wagon, was watching Tim Allen on home improvement. Tim "the tool man" Taylor had a Nomad wagon on the show. Probably still my favorite wagon.

Great advice as always.

Mike, you need to convince AG higher-ups to build you guys a dedicated climate controlled wash bay. 75 degrees feels hot for me. I wouldn't survive FL summer

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post

That wagon is too cool. Those wheels are the perfect resto-mod design. From the photos you barely notice the modern wheels.

I remember the first time I feel in love with a wagon, was watching Tim Allen on home improvement. Tim "the tool man" Taylor had a Nomad wagon on the show. Probably still my favorite wagon.
    Yep... old school wagons are cool. With the 455 Big Block Engine this grocery getter really gets up and goes too! (don't ask me how I know)

Great advice as always.
    Thank you. Takes time and thinking to put out how-to information that others can follow and not screw something up. Now days I see everyone wants to be a leader in this industry but they don't type anything? They say

Readers are leaders

What are the people that create the stuff to read?

Mike, you need to convince AG higher-ups to build you guys a dedicated climate controlled wash bay. 75 degrees feels hot for me. I wouldn't survive FL summer
    Ha ha... I like that idea but I don't think it's going to happen.

p.s.

Remind me... what does the LED stand for?

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

LED has a triple meaning:

1: My dad's used car lot where I self taught myself how to detail, was named Limited Edition Auto. LE

2: I have a fascination with all things flashlights, since I was 2-3 year old. LED

3: Like your father, I work in LE. Won't make it to retirement, getting burned out.

Then the detailing portion is my love/hate relationship with detailing. Started learning to detail when I was 14 years old. Slowly learned/taught myself new techniques through trial and error, on at the time, late-model, low mileage Cadillacs, Lincolns, Buicks and Olds. Convinced my dad to buy me a Dewalt polisher when I was 17-19 years old. My dad's friend who did all our body/paint work convinced me to only use foam pads. That unknowingly was probably the best advice I received. I used 3M's Perfect-It system of fine cut compound and polishes. I knew I had a good eye for paint when I would point out painted panels on the cars my dad bought from the auction. I would also re-polish freshly repaired panes from the above mentioned paint shop.

Mike Phillips

Mike,

LED has a triple meaning:

1: My dad's used car lot where I self taught myself how to detail, was named Limited Edition Auto. LE

2: I have a fascination with all things flashlights, since I was 2-3 year old. LED

3: Like your father, I work in LE. Won't make it to retirement, getting burned out.

Then the detailing portion is my love/hate relationship with detailing. Started learning to detail when I was 14 years old. Slowly learned/taught myself new techniques through trial and error, on at the time, late-model, low mileage Cadillacs, Lincolns, Buicks and Olds. Convinced my dad to buy me a Dewalt polisher when I was 17-19 years old.

My dad's friend who did all our body/paint work convinced me to only use foam pads. That unknowingly was probably the best advice I received. I used 3M's Perfect-It system of fine cut compound and polishes. I knew I had a good eye for paint when I would point out painted panels on the cars my dad bought from the auction. I would also re-polish freshly repaired panes from the above mentioned paint shop.

Wow! Great story! Thank you for sharing.

My dad called me the other day ago, told me he washed, clayed, polished and waxed his restored 1966 Ford Thunderbird Convertible. Living the good life! He didn't burn out but times have changed since when he was a State Police Officer.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Now you have to get your dad or at least his Tbird on AGO or Competition Ready. Glad to hear he is a detailer. Did you get your start detailing from him? What does your dad polish with?

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I'm not a huge fan or user of rinseless washes, just doesn't work for me as it makes the floor a mess. But anyone that reads enough of my write-ups for all the cars I detail or all the cars we detail for projects here at Autogeek knows we use a LOT of waterless washes.

Mike, a rinse less wash makes less of a mess than breaking out the hose, foam cannon, etc.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post

Mike, a rinse less wash makes less of a mess than breaking out the hose, foam cannon, etc.
    I agree if you're washing a car outside.

What I mean is I don't like the mess and the mess means the water puddles on the floor when doing a rinseless wash inside the Show Car Garage. It's no big deal as I just run a mop around the car and remove the water but with a waterless wash I can do the same thing without getting any water on the floor and thus without having to run a mop around the floor.

Everyone can find a way that works best for them I just prefer waterless wash to rinseless wash because for me it's less messy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast