autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Destroyed: Medium Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad

Well...... I used my Medium Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad today after washing maple tree sap off my 2015 GMC truck. Surface seemed to be free of sap, but the pad became sticky after a few panels in which I couldn't get it cleaned. I even tried Stoner bug & tar remover on the pad along with pad cleaner. I ended up with my $50.00 plus pad breaking apart in tiny bits of rubber. As always, I used more than enough glide during the process. I do have a Fine Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad, but I don't want to destroy it like my medium one. I only used my medium pad 2 times on my truck. At $50.00 plus you could say I'm a little more than POed. I'd like to add, my horizontals are stained also. My truck was only exposed to the maple tree for a couple days. The worse thing about all this is that there are maple trees throughout the property at my cabin with no garage. I went through the following process less than two months ago with aprrox. six hand washings. Any suggestions other than building a garage would be most appreciated. Thanks, Ray
    Fine Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad w/ Glide
    Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0
    Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0
    2 Coats of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Destroyed: Medium Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad

I'm pretty sure the tar remover will cause harm to the mitt along with a strong APC mix. I just wash mine in water and have had no issues. As far as the heavy sap I don't have an answer

Post Thanks / Like

That tar remover is the one that damaged it. Stick with soap and water to rinse it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Lesson learned........ I tried cleaning it with glide & pad cleaner without any luck then turned to the B&G remover. I must agree, the B&T remover is more than likely the culprit. If it happens again, I'll use soap and water and keep repeating if necessary. Thanks for the input to both of you. Ray

Post Thanks / Like

It's possible to fix the damage to the mitt by using straight ONR on it. It might take a few applications to get the clay mitt back to a less sticky state. Depending upon how much tar remover you got on it, it may be destroyed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a clay bar on Maple sap is a better option or use a tar and bug remover and save the Nano Pad for just regular decontamination.

Post Thanks / Like

Something like sap might just be worth using regular detailing clay with. I use clay alternatives to decontaminate but at the same time I keep clay for stuff like that as well as road tar and road paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Use a product that is specifically made for tar removal such as CarPro Tar-x and wash thoroughly afterwards. Now I would advise in investing in a good car cover to keep the maple tree sap from accumulating on your vehicle. There are pluses and minuses about using a car cover, but I live around 4 pecan trees that drip a fine mist of sap. Left uncovered the sap mixes with dust and pollen and you can imagine what that looks like. Get a good car cover and save yourself time and aggravation.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the great replies....... The sap from the maple trees comes off fairly easy, but...... as most of you know the longer it sets the worse it is. In my case, it was collecting for a couple days along with overnight dew and 82 degree sunny days. I thought I had all of it off upon hand washing due to the surface feeling free of contamation. I almost went on to using FG, but decided to go over it with the medium nano pad. As for the sparatic staining, I'm going to use Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer. This will be the first time using it, hopefully it works well. I'll keep all of you posted with my progress. Thanks again for the help. Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Use a product that is specifically made for tar removal such as CarPro Tar-x and wash thoroughly afterwards. Now I would advise in investing in a good car cover to keep the maple tree sap from accumulating on your vehicle. There are pluses and minuses about using a car cover, but I live around 4 pecan trees that drip a fine mist of sap. Left uncovered the sap mixes with dust and pollen and you can imagine what that looks like. Get a good car cover and save yourself time and aggravation.
    I don't like car covers and think they are a PITA, however in the case of the OP I would agree with you that it will save him time and aggravation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast