autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Products you wasted your money and time on and why

There was a similar thread posted a few years ago and was good reading until it degenerated into a discussion of why certain products were regretted and alternates were discussed. I would like to know only the product and why you personaly regretted purchasing. As the old Dragnet TV show used to say "just the facts mam". I find other people's opinions matter and want to judge for myself as to wether I had the same experience with the same product as others have had.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Products you wasted your money and time on and why

Wouldn't this kind of fall under this on going thread?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-purchase.html
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I'll bite....Carpro Spotless. Can't fault the product just never got to use it. Between the sealant and weekly washing, plus daily QD of any spots - never had a water-spot I need anything heavier that D155 on. So it was a waste of money and of time (ordering.)

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny I bought Carpro Spotless when I bought my Cquartz coating and so far, only used it once and only because of a single waterspot that I couldn't get out with my usual UWW spray down. But I'm glad to have it frankly, I feel like it's a just in case item.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes definately " Most. Regretted" but 50 + pages less and hopefully less recommendations on alternatives. Just looking for why YOU didn't think it was worth the investment.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Yes definately " Most. Regretted" but 50 + pages less and hopefully less recommendations on alternatives. Just looking for why YOU didn't think it was worth the investment.
    If I posted what was huge waste of money I'd probably get banned for life LOL.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire Crystal Coat Paint coating,total disaster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    Blackfire Crystal Coat Paint coating,total disaster.
    Why? What happened?
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Well for me there are a few and I believe that on all but one most forum members will disagree.
    The main one is BF Crystal Coat, I got it just in time to do my daughters white civic and it was not a good experience. It was a nightmare to level/remove/buff. I at first figured it was user error in that it was a white car and was a very bright sunny day and even tho I was in the shade it was almost impossible to see it on the paint and figured I used way too much product (which I did) which was the cause. I did my brother Escalade the next week and know that on that I did not use too much product and it acted the exact same way.

Next is one that I can say is mixed. I am glad I ordered the bottle but really regret getting the gallon and that is WG perfect vision window cleaner. When I 1st got it I used it on the front of my refrigerator which has a black acrylic front and it did the best job on it by a noticeable difference that I ordered the gallon right away. But when I went to use it the next time on my Audi I did the windshield which is coated with WG Uber coating and the next time I was in the rain I noticed a significant drop in the water repellent ability. After that I cleaned it with some ipa solution and all was fine. But that wasn't my main problem with it. When I did the inside of my windshield it left what looked to be some fine silver colored specs mostly in the corners and I did it three times and they were always there but when I did it the next time with some CG glass cleaner it came out completely clear.

So all I can say is that on some things it is about the best I have used but on the one that is most important to me not so much.

Next would be the 3D/HD polishes and compounds. I have pretty much all of them (3D AAT 501 & 502 HD cut+ Adapt Polish+) which I bought because of all the rave reviews they have gotten on the forum. When I 1st tried them it was doing test spots on my Audi and the cut+ didn't seem to cut quite as good as FG400 and as far as finish goes it didn't matter since I was doing a 2 step so I didn't pay attention to that. Next was Adapt and SF 4000 with 4000 clearly better. Then Finish+ and 4000 which was really close and I think 4000 had a slight edge in clarity but not sure. At that time I had no problem with any of the products as far as use goes.
    The next time I tried them it was different all three gave me problems on two different vehicles (a 15 f150 and an 06 Kia) with the same problem with both and all three polishes along with both the 501 and 502. They had a very short working time and were fairly hard to remove which is just the opposite of what has been said on the forums in general even tho I have seen a few that have reported similar just only a couple compared to the large majority.
    And lastly is the Meg twins ultimate compound and polish. Not that I had any problems with them but didn't like them as much as the CG V polishes I was using and will never use them again and look at it as a waste of around $40. The only reason I even mentioned them is the fact I see them recommended so often and to me they seem very average at best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Why? What happened?
    It had zero work time,flashed instantly and was very sticky. I've used CQUK,Cquartz, Gtechniq C1 and CSL plus OC,OC2 and Gloss Coat and had great success. There's a lengthy thread on here somewhere

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast