autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Detailing 101 - Technique tips for using a rinseless wash to wash your car

Detailing 101 - Technique tips for using a rinseless wash to wash your car

The secret to safely washing your car using a leeriness wash instead of the traditional method of using a bucket and a garden hose with running water comes down to two simple techniques.

1. Use lots of microfiber towels.

2. Get two wipes out of a single side of a microfiber towel folded four ways

Sometimes the best option and sometimes the only option for getting your car clean is to use a rinseless wash. Maybe you live where there are water restrictions, areas of drought or it's the middle of winter and the water will be frozen at the spigot or in the garden hose. Perhaps you're traveling and don't have access to a water hose. Or you own a car that's garage kept and only lightly dirty. If you're a mobile detailer, a rinseless wash helps you to avoid carrying water onboard your detailing van or trailer plus you don't have to worry about reclaiming your run-off water. These are all great reasons to use a rinseless wash.

How does a rinseless wash work?

A rinseless wash is a concentrate of ingredients that help to both clean and lubricate at the same time. The cleaning agents help to remove road grime and dirt. The lubricants help to prevent marring. Some rinseless washes also impart gloss and a slick feel to the paint.

How does a rinseless wash work without scratching the paint?

This is where the 2 secrets come into play. First, you want a lot of towels. Second, it's how you use your towels that prevents scratching. In the pictures below I'll show you how to prevent rubbing dirt on the car into the paint when using a rinseless wash.

First you want a high quality rinseless wash like the Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash. Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash is a concentrate. You add one ounce of concentrate to 3 gallons of water. The container itself has a built in measuring cup to make sure you get just the right amount of product each time you wash your car.

Remove the cap on the measuring cup side and then simply squeeze the bottle to fill the chamber with one ounce of product.

Then pour the rinseless wash into a bucket filled with 3 gallons of clean water.

Mix the concentrate thoroughly. I keep a stir stick with me wherever I go that works perfect for this...

Technique - Use lots of microfiber towels

Next, dunk about a dozen clean, plush microfiber towels into the rinseless wash solution. This is key to preventing swirls and scratches to the paint when using a rinseless wash. With lots of towels you can switch to a clean towel OFTEN. The idea being that after you use one side of a folded microfiber towel to make one wipe or pass over a panel, you never use that side of the towel again. If you were to use the side of a towel that was just used to remove loose dirt, the next wipe would be rubbing he removed dirt over the paint and this could cause swirls and scratches. So the real secret to safely washing a car without a water hose and bucket is using a lot of towels. I recommend purchasing at least a dozen plush microfiber towels like the Supreme 530 microfiber towels and then DEDICATING these towels specifically as your rinseless wash towels.

Dunk the towels into the rinseless wash so they are saturated with the rinseless wash solution and ready to go as you need them.

Technique - Get two passes out of each side of a folded microfiber towel

Lift a microfiber towel out of the rinseless wash bucket. Wring out most of the excess water but leave enough water in the towel so you have plenty of cleaning agents and lubricants for good cleaning and lubrication. Fold the towel 4 ways to create a thick pile of microfiber.

Start at one end of a panel, in the picture below I'm starting at the front of the windshield and wiping towards the front of the car.

Now here's the technique. Wipe with the leading edge of the folded towel in contact with the paint.

The second wipe technique

For the second wipe using the same side of the folded towel you just used lift the leading edge of the towel so only the middle of the towel is coming into contact with the paint.

Flip, fold and fresh

After making two wipes or two passes over a panel with one side of a folded microfiber towel, stop using this side. Flip the towel over to the unused side or fold the towel to a clean side. After using all the sides of one towel, place that towel into a secondary bucket for used towels and then start again with a fresh towel.

Immediately after washing the car place your still wet microfiber towels into the washing machine by themselves, that is don't wash your rinseless microfiber towels with other laundry items like jeans and t-shirts. Use a dedicated microfiber laundry detergent to clean your towels while preserving their plushness and and performance.

Now your car is clean and ready to go!

On Autogeek.com

Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash

Supreme 530 Microfiber Towel 12 Pack

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing 101 - Technique tips for using a rinseless wash to wash your car

How about the drying part?

Post Thanks / Like

3 gallons for one car?

Using the same method (except not wringing them out before wiping), I'm still able to do my entire car with less than a gallon. True I'm only using 420 GSM towels...

Is the 3 gallon recommendation just because it 1 oz wash to 3 gallons water? Also, do you suggest using distilled water to help prevent water spots?

Post Thanks / Like

I only add this because its what I've been doing on my own car and I'm very careful and that is this, when folding the MF towel into 4's, I roll the towel after each pass. I do this because I wanna get as much out of each square and doing it this way usually nets me about 4 passes per square, I always look at the square and have 4 dark lines of dirt to prove it. That said, sometimes, on a very dirty car, I can only get 2 like Mike said but it varies on the car. My own car has a great base of product laid down on it that even when dirty, the majority of the dirt doesn't stick too much.
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

This is exactly how I do it, and it's a great reminder for myself to see it here in print written by you that this is a safe and effective way to do a rinseless wash!

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Uber and 530's is how I do it and love the combo! Works so well!
    Currently: 2014 Jet Black Mica Mazda 6

Previously: 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BM1024 View Post
    3 gallons for one car?

Using the same method (except not wringing them out before wiping), I'm still able to do my entire car with less than a gallon. True I'm only using 420 GSM towels...

Is the 3 gallon recommendation just because it 1 oz wash to 3 gallons water? Also, do you suggest using distilled water to help prevent water spots?
    I use 1.5-2 gals per wash for the van or car below in my sig.

1 Gal in the sprayer for soaking and about 1/2 to 1 gal. in a small bucket. Depending on how bad he vehicle is dirt wise, I may use 3-8 480GSM Eagle Edgeless towels folded for up to 16 surface wipes per towel. I wipe and roll as rolling the leading edge helps to prevent rubbing dirt/grime against the paint and every wipe gets a clean surface/fold.

I feel it's important to soak the car with a sprayer ahead of the wash to not only help loosen up the dirt so that it releases with less pressure but also so that there's plenty of solution beading up on the surface to flush away the dirt as the towel moves across the surface.

Works great.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post

1 Gal in the sprayer for soaking and about 1/2 to 1 gal. in a small bucket. Depending on how bad he vehicle is dirt wise, I may use 3-8 480GSM Eagle Edgeless towels folded for up to 16 surface wipes per towel. I wipe and roll as rolling the leading edge helps to prevent rubbing dirt/grime against the paint and every wipe gets a clean surface/fold.

I feel it's important to soak the car with a sprayer ahead of the wash to not only help loosen up the dirt so that it releases with less pressure but also so that there's plenty of solution beading up on the surface to flush away the dirt as the towel moves across the surface.

Works great.
    Very similar to my way (including the sprayer), except I use 10-12 Creature 420 GSM -roll the edge but only use the plush sides.

That's why I was surprised to see 3 gallons mentioned....asking myself "Mike says it is this way! Am I doing it wrong?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post

Works great.
    What brand of an electric sprayer do you have, and how many gallon?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanfreak3 View Post
    What brand of an electric sprayer do you have, and how many gallon?
    It's rechargable. One charge will go 45 minutes or so too. Works great. Fan spray gun and hose were bought seperately. I like them better than the stock one that's more or less a garden sprayer. Has a little less pressure than a garden hose but it's enough to knock off dirt, especially in winter and really makes wheels easy in the winter time. Makes soaking a car a snap overall. Coiled hose means I just put in on the side of the car and I can then reach from front to back easily. Stores nicely too. Holds 3 gas.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast