autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing 101 - Technique tips for using a rinseless wash to wash your car

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    It's rechargable. One charge will go 45 minutes or so too. Works great. Fan spray gun and hose were bought seperately. I like them better than the stock one that's more or less a garden sprayer. Has a little less pressure than a garden hose but it's enough to knock off dirt, especially in winter and really makes wheels easy in the winter time. Makes soaking a car a snap overall. Coiled hose means I just put in on the side of the car and I can then reach from front to back easily. Stores nicely too. Holds 3 gas.

What is the brand? I see that there are a few of them. How do you clean your wheel wells in winter?

Post Thanks / Like

Never mind about the brand

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanfreak3 View Post
    What is the brand? I see that there are a few of them. How do you clean your wheel wells in winter?
    Wheels in the winter.....all depends on my mood and if I want to spend an extra 15 minutes or so with them.

If the car is caked with dirt and snow I will go to a touchless wash that's very close to my home. Before I pull in I hop out and spray my wheels with some wheel cleaner. I'm silly and will mix in some 70% alcohol with it to help extend the time before it freezes. Seems to really help the wash get them clean. Clean enough so that I when I'm at home doing a rinseless I may either skip them completely.

For the record I've had zero issues using rinseless wash with the above unit. When done I blow through some clean water through it. If you're garage isn't heated bring the base unit (gray area) inside so it doesn't freeze.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I use to use a compressor and paint spray gun to apply my Presoak before a rinseless or waterless wash. Worked really well, but a pain to setup. I bet a smaller electric one would be easier.

But, now I just use this:

1.5 liters is more than enough and when mixing up D114 or ONR for presoaking, there's plenty to go around!

Sent via my mobile device...

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Mike Phillips

How about the drying part?

Real simple, give each panel a soft wipe with a dry microfiber towel.

Quote Originally Posted by BM1024 View Post

3 gallons for one car?

Using the same method (except not wringing them out before wiping), I'm still able to do my entire car with less than a gallon. True I'm only using 420 GSM towels...

Is the 3 gallon recommendation just because it 1 oz wash to 3 gallons water?

Yes. Water is not scarce here in South Florida, it rains a lot. PLUS if you're going to dunk a dozen towels into a bucket then you need a tick more than a gallon of water.

I can see taking the minimalist approach and using only one gallon but with a little extra water there's also enough rinseless solution to use a wheel brush and some tire microfiber towels to wash the wheels and tires after knocking out the body panels.

Good question, thank you for asking it.

Quote Originally Posted by BM1024 View Post

Also, do you suggest using distilled water to help prevent water spots?
    I don't use distilled water and have never recommended it. I don't have any issues with anyone that does however. To me this is majoring on the minors and I like to major on the majors. If you dry the car with a few clean dry microfiber towels then there shouldn't be any contaminants left on the paint from using city water or well water.

Personal preference but nah... I never get that deep for something this simple.

Post Thanks / Like

Wheels in the winter.....all depends on my mood and if I want to spend an extra 15 minutes or so with them.

If the car is caked with dirt and snow I will go to a touchless wash that's very close to my home. Before I pull in I hop out and spray my wheels with some wheel cleaner. I'm silly and will mix in some 70% alcohol with it to help extend the time before it freezes. Seems to really help the wash get them clean. Clean enough so that I when I'm at home doing a rinseless I may either skip them completely.

For the record I've had zero issues using rinseless wash with the above unit. When done I blow through some clean water through it. If you're garage isn't heated bring the base unit (gray area) inside so it doesn't freeze.

So I shouldn't leave the rinseless solution in the sprayer from week to week?

Post Thanks / Like

So I shouldn't leave the rinseless solution in the sprayer from week to week?
    I don't but I'm funny like that. I mix up the solution in 2.5gal batches as I used distilled water that I buy in that size from the local stores. If there's any left over I pour it back and save it in those containers. Not sure if leaving it in the machine over time would gum anything up.
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    I use to use a compressor and paint spray gun to apply my Presoak before a rinseless or waterless wash. Worked really well, but a pain to setup. I bet a smaller electric one would be easier.

But, now I just use this:

1.5 liters is more than enough and when mixing up D114 or ONR for presoaking, there's plenty to go around!
    ^^ I started with one like that in a 64oz size but now use either the power sprayer or a simple $20 1 Gal. garden sprayer. The 64oz one is now my week killer sprayer

Post Thanks / Like

I must be using the wrong technique totally.

Not sure how I got so far off this method. I must have read it somewhere and just tweaked it to my taste.

I use the Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine so maybe it is different method.

Anyway I have been doing this through last 2 winters and it works for me.

Method:
    Mix cap full of ONRW&S in 4 gallons of water in a bucket
    Fill second bucket with clean water (grit guards in both).
    Dip "Blue sponge" in solution and apply like a wash mitt to a couple of sections (half a roof, half a hood, full door etc.).
    Rinse sponge in clean water bucket and put in solution bucket.
    Using waffle weave towel folded to yeild 8 surfaces, dry the panels by wiping each section.
    Expose fresh surface after each section.
    Repeat to rest of car.
    Takes 20 minutes or less not doing wheels.
    Typically use 2-3 drying towels.
    Not sure it's the best way but I have had 2 years trouble free so far.
    In the winter (I live in Canada) I sometimes use two applications per panel and double the drying towels because of the salt.
    Wash solution last couple months and clean water switched out after each wash.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

It's rechargable. One charge will go 45 minutes or so too. Works great. Fan spray gun and hose were bought seperately. I like them better than the stock one that's more or less a garden sprayer. Has a little less pressure than a garden hose but it's enough to knock off dirt, especially in winter and really makes wheels easy in the winter time. Makes soaking a car a snap overall. Coiled hose means I just put in on the side of the car and I can then reach from front to back easily. Stores nicely too. Holds 3 gas.

Used this for the first time today and WOW, it works awesome. I also used the eagle edgeless towels but man it was tough to remember what sides I had already used haha. What's your reasoning for using distilled water? If I have a batch of rinseless left over (using regular water) how long will it be good for?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12