autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes 2" Blue Pad on Nano short neck with coarse compound

Set up the Nano with the 12mm Orbital tool and 2" Blue Pad. Applied 3 small smudges of blue compound on unprimed pad. Speed setting 4 to test. I did 5 section passes on the barrels of the wheel. The pad was very dirty so I cleaned with microfiber. Did the wheel in 4 sections. The pad was beat up pretty bad. The edges are frayed and the surface looks like it was chewed up by a metal brush. The surface was sanded with 1500 grit paper so was really testing the Nano's ability not the pad. Is this normal for open cell pads? Is it a function of the 2" size? Be nice to know. By the way the polisher is a dream to work with on this application.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes 2" Blue Pad on Nano short neck with coarse compound

I take it that the blue Nano pad is the same as the standard blue Rupes pad. Cuts great, but no durability. I would imagine even worse on a smaller pad working around edges and curves,

Post Thanks / Like

That would seem to be the case. I think the little pads are like $9.00 each so that can't be good. I tried a 2" LC CC and it did not degrade near as much. I will keep trying different combos just to get experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Today tried the 1" Blue Pad with coarse compound speed 1-2 rotary tool on complete rim. Wet sanded 1200 grit on freshly painted barrel and old face (not sanded). I was careful to avoid polishing on the edge of the pad (lots of tight spots). On the face turned out great doing 4 section passes ( still getting lots of sling but think it is because tool is not in complete contact all the time). On the barrels did in 4 sections. Completely removed sanding marks after only 4 section passes (very impressive). Whole project took about 1.5hrs. Very pleased and the blue pad was much less tattered than the first time (that one I had to toss).

Post Thanks / Like

Appears that you are getting the hang of using this tool.