autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: California Duster myths

I've been using a California Duster for over 15 years on various color vehicles. I've never had a problem because i use it to remove light dust and I never use it on the lower 1/3rd of the body.

To to the pro detailers who say that it damages paint because their clients damaged paint with it - exactly! Your clients are idiots. If they weren't, you'd be out of business.

I've also been using Final Touch on heavier dirt for a long time with no problems whatsoever. Maybe I don't have problems because I buy it in bulk and never worry about how much it costs instead of buying some boutique brand for 50 cents per ounce and dragging a semi-dry microfiber across dirty paint.

Light dirt, California Duster on the top 2/3rds of the car and Final touch on the bottom 1/3rd works every time.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobertin View Post
    I have used the water blade for many years too and never noticed any issues, I quit using because of this place. Maybe some quick detailer or waterless wash spray as you blade. This place has made me rethink my procedures, even o never noticed and issues. I may go back to using these products and pay more attention to see any negative
    Wouldn't just be easier and simpler to continue doing exactly what's been a proven winner for you? Detailing forums are a lot like photography forums. You're perfectly happy with your work, your friends love it, you get compliments, and your photos have been published in magazines and newspapers and then you find out you've been doing it all wrong.

You see, you have the wrong equipment. That 20.1 megapixel APS-C sensor is a least two stops slower than a full frame sensor. Your lenses suck. Your tripod is inferior. Well, in theory anyway because no true professional is ever going to argue any method that achieves superior results is wrong. Only the amateurs will tell you your doing it wrong and they'll do it without ever seeing your results.

There's an informal car show get together in my little town every Saturday during the summer. Invariably, the guys talking the most about paint care are the guys with the most swirls and holograms on their cars - with wax around the emblems and along the edges of tape stripes.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang View Post
    I've been using a California Duster for over 15 years on various color vehicles. I've never had a problem because i use it to remove light dust and I never use it on the lower 1/3rd of the body.

To to the pro detailers who say that it damages paint because their clients damaged paint with it - exactly! Your clients are idiots. If they weren't, you'd be out of business.

I've also been using Final Touch on heavier dirt for a long time with no problems whatsoever. Maybe I don't have problems because I buy it in bulk and never worry about how much it costs instead of buying some boutique brand for 50 cents per ounce and dragging a semi-dry microfiber across dirty paint.

Light dirt, California Duster on the top 2/3rds of the car and Final touch on the bottom 1/3rd works every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang View Post
    Wouldn't just be easier and simpler to continue doing exactly what's been a proven winner for you? Detailing forums are a lot like photography forums. You're perfectly happy with your work, your friends love it, you get compliments, and your photos have been published in magazines and newspapers and then you find out you've been doing it all wrong.

You see, you have the wrong equipment. That 20.1 megapixel APS-C sensor is a least two stops slower than a full frame sensor. Your lenses suck. Your tripod is inferior. Well, in theory anyway because no true professional is ever going to argue any method that achieves superior results is wrong. Only the amateurs will tell you your doing it wrong and they'll do it without ever seeing your results.

There's an informal car show get together in my little town every Saturday during the summer. Invariably, the guys talking the most about paint care are the guys with the most swirls and holograms on their cars - with wax around the emblems and along the edges of tape stripes.

When I read through your total posting history it's simply more of the same hostile and demeaning attitude towards our forum members.

People join forums for typically one of three reasons...

1. To ask questions and get help.

2. To answer questions and help others.

3. To cause problems.

Here's the link to our forum rules,

Forum Rules

Here's the rules your broke....

3. You are welcome to disagree but you must be polite.

4. No bashing any company or their products. No bashing other people. If you can't say anything nice about someone, then don't say anything at all, this also includes talking to others in a demeaning manner.

12. Continuously breaking the rules to disrupt the online community will result in you being banned from the forum.

15. No personal attacks toward members or non-members will be tolerated.

After discussing your posts to our forum with management it was decided that you joined this forum for reason 3 I listed above.

3. To cause problems.

Now under your name it correctly states,

SELF BANNED

We don't want and we don't need people acting like you on this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I use the water blade too. I've used it a lot (less lately as the duster does the job most days and if not ONR). The Water Blade I researched a bit and found it actually doesn't let dirt drag across the paint at all. You have properly washed and rinsed therefore there is very little debris on the car. When the blade drags off the water it forms a bubble/dam of water in front of the blade, which encapsulates any remaining dirt in the water bead. The blade will not scratch the paint itself, so good to go. If you use any product beyond it's intended use then there are potential issues. Duster is to remove dust and Water Blade is to remove water.
    This owner came to me several years ago for a paint correction. I looked at the car and the first thing I asked him is if use a water blade. He popped the trunk and said you mean this thing?

Several areas on the car had long sweeping scratches, the one below being the worst one, clear signs of water blade use and I've seen it many times in my 25+ years of detailing.

Required wet sanding to remove

Same scenario on this beautiful example of 60's muscle. The car had long sweeping marks on all the horizontal panels that needed wet sanding to remove, again I asked him the owner if he used the water blade and again the owner said yes.

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

But is it the blade itself that caused the scratches or the something that gets trapped between the blade and the paint? If it is not the blade itself, then I would think the the car not being washed properly is the reason for the scratches, not the use of the blade.

Post Thanks / Like

That was my point with both the duster and the blade. The duster is to remove dust and the blade is to remove water (not debris). I don't have customers so can't compete with 25 years experience, but most of problem seems to be application error (this is human nature-ever tried to put together a kids toy first and then read the directions?). 😀
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine uses that Duster all the time and his paint is swirl city. Ive been asking him to let me correct half the hood and see if his duster is causing it, but he wont let me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zero4 View Post
    But is it the blade itself that caused the scratches or the something that gets trapped between the blade and the paint? If it is not the blade itself, then I would think the the car not being washed properly is the reason for the scratches, not the use of the blade.
    Regardless the proper-ness of
    the washing procedure:

There are always some kind of
    contaminates blowing around,
    looking for "just the right spot"
    upon which to land.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zero4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    That was my point with both the duster and the blade. The duster is to remove dust and the blade is to remove water (not debris). I don't have customers so can't compete with 25 years experience, but most of problem seems to be application error (this is human nature-ever tried to put together a kids toy first and then read the directions?). ��
    All it takes is that one small particulate that's didn't rinse away, regardless of it being user error or not. Considering the depth and severity of the damage they caused on these two cars and others I've seen in the past, it simply isn't worth the risk for me.

As far as the duster is concerned, I think some paint types are more susceptible or resistant then others when it comes to marring from its use. I used one on my show car for a few years and it was "okay", but it noticeably marred my black Honda. I think most of us have been to enough cars shows to see the long term effects they have on paint too, as very few cars at those shows actually look perfect. You also have to keep in mind that the majority of the users for these products don't sit on forums like we do or understand car care as well as we do.

Most importantly, I think the quote by Mike Phillips plays a role in duster opinion by some in that "most people don't know the difference between a swirl and a squirrel".

Just mt $.02
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234