autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jeweling Wax - Definition

Quote Originally Posted by AGOatemywallet View Post
    NextLevel,

Did you use the same technique with the McKee's Jeweling Wax as you would with application of a traditional wax?

I suspect to remove any defects or burnish the paint, the Jeweling Wax would require and alteration of technique vs. traditional LSP.

You can apply it like a traditional wax, rather being by applicator pad or by machine.

You don't have to work it like a polish if you just want the wax

So you can just cover the entire panel and wait for it, to wipe off, or you can work it like a polish.

It's a nice product I liked it alot, the whole line was nice.

I didn't think I was going to like the polishes as much as I did. I was honestly suprised.

The fast compound you can work it forever, it should be called infinity compound how long it works.

Easy wipe off, and no dusting.

And it finished really nice.

The polishes are so user friendly that virtually anyone can use them, and get great results.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking as a weekend detailer I always thought that you needed to prep your car to get the best results wash,clay,iron x, polish, IPA / eraser then do your LSP.

Would the jeweling polish / wax really add that much to a light colored car compared to dark colored cars in the end ????

Thanks !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboys has had one for ages.
    PB Polish with sealant
    PB Polish with wax
    Both With abrasive that have pad dependent cut and wax.

Menzerna has had PP ultra (similar abrasive to SF4500) and wax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by KBsToy View Post

Speaking as a weekend detailer I always thought that you needed to prep your car to get the best results wash,clay,iron x, polish, IPA / eraser then do your LSP.
    That's correct. A jeweling wax or ANY wax for that matter will not take the place of the prep steps.

Would the jeweling polish / wax really add that much to a light colored car compared to dark colored cars in the end ????

Thanks !!!!
    Not really just because it's a light color. See my article on The Lesson White Paint Teaches us. Although the article is about how paint gets dirty over time I do comment on how you can spend all day on a white or light colored car and not get much better visual results had you just used a high quality cleaner/wax.

Of course... all of the above and your results would depend upon the starting condition and if the starting condition is good to excellent then you could get dramatic gloss and shine simply by working the jeweling wax for a long time.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by AGOatemywallet View Post

Is McKee's 37 360™ a "Synthetic Jeweling Wax"?

It seems to fit the definition

"McKee's 37 360™ does what no mere cleaner wax can do; it removes light swirls and imperfections to leave the paint looking flawless. Ultra fine abrasives - so fine they are not perceptible by sight or touch."

I don't think so. If I though it were I would have coined the term and wrote this article about 6 years ago.

Here's an article I wrote 2 years ago and I'd say XMT and I did say XMT 360 falls into category

How to choose and use a one-step cleaner/wax by Mike Phillips

Here's an excerpt - see category #2

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Three categories of cleaner/waxes

Category #1 - Very Light Cleaning
    Products in this category are for the most part non-abrasive and only offer light chemical cleaning ability. Products in the category are your best bet to remove light surface staining, embedded dirt and light oxidation.

Example: Klasse All-in-One is a chemical only one-step cleaner/sealant. It doesn’t use wax for the protection ingredient but instead uses an acrylic polymer thus the term cleaner/sealant instead of cleaner/wax.

Recommended Pads: Soft foam waxing or jewelling pads for light cleaning, polishing pads for more neglected surfaces.

Speed Setting: 3-5

Category #2 - Light Cleaning
    Combination of both chemical cleaners and fine, ultra fine micro-abrasives. Products I this category are limited in their ability to actually remove below surface defects like swirls and scratches. They can remove shallow depth scratches but not deeper swirls and scratches. You can increase their cutting ability by using more aggressive pads but then you must be watchful that you are not at the same time leaving behind any haze or micro-marring due to the more aggressiveness of the pad. These products do not and are not intended to be major swirl and scratch removers.

Example: Optimum G-P-S. Optimum G-P-S offers chemical cleaners and micro abrasives for very light cleaning ability.

Recommended Pads: Soft foam waxing or jewelling pads for light cleaning, polishing pads for more neglected surfaces.

Category #3 - Medium Cleaning
    Products in category #3 normally use a combination of both chemical cleaners and abrasives. Cleaner/waxes in this group will offer the most ability to actually remove swirls and scratches via their abrasive technology but they also bring with them the most potential to leave micro-marring in the paint for this same reason.

Example: Meguiar’s D151 Correction Crčme. D151 offers probably the most ability to remove swirls and scratches while still being safe for factory paints.

Recommended Pads: Soft foam waxing or jewelling pads for light cleaning, polishing pads for more neglected surfaces. For light colored cars you can get away with foam cutting pads but be aware that just because you don’t see haze or micro-marring doesn’t mean it’s not there.

You can all choose and use and even call cleaner/waxes what you want but as I stated previously I think and this is simply my opinion, the McKee's Jeweling wax is simply too good of a product to LUMP together will all the other cleaner/waxes on the market.

Also from my first post...

I love cleaner/waxes and use them when appropriate and even have a number of articles encouraging detailers to use cleaner/waxes when doing production detail work. I would not however consider the majority of cleaner/waxes I've used in my life to be the type of product I would use like a jewelling wax as they don't finish out as well as a true jewelling wax.

A high quality jeweling wax is too good to be lumped into the cleaner/wax category already populated with hundreds of cleaner/wax options ranging from the extreme spectrum of mediocre to very good.

A jeweling wax can be used in place of your last machine polishing step to refine the results of the previous correction steps and/or correction and polishing steps to maximize the gloss, clarity, depth and shine while also leaving the finish protected, something a dedicated polish will not do.

Post Thanks / Like

Too me An Aio polish is polish with sealant/wax.
    Cleaner wax is wax with cleaners , non abraisives

Both can have glaze .

Jeweling wax just combined a cleaner wax with an AIO polish..

I started a thread about jeweling with a DA months back...just assumed any polish on the chart rated with a 1 could be considered for jeweling.. Yet non were actually "jeweling waxes"

To bring up a question that really wasn't answered in said thread

What would be the best for jeweling with this new product?
    Something like car pros gloss pad?

Or non abraisive wax pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mike for your answer, it helps me chase that elusive perfect shine

Mike Phillips

This just in... hot off the press...

McKee's 37 = Winner BEST PAINT!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    This just in... hot off the press...

awsome congrats you all did an amazzzing job you rock AUTOGEEK

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post

All this talk is speculation until a side by side comparison is done with HD speed and Carpro Essence. Until we see that, any new product with this much hype has to prove itself next to the others.
    Actually it doesn't because it's not in the came category as the others. It's NOT meant for HEAVY CORRECTION. It's meant for very LIGHT CORRECTION with emphasis on the word LIGHT.

I think I spelled it out pretty well in my first post.

We already know the jeweling wax has neither the cut nor the protection of the other two I mentioned. So that means all it has left to offer is the "look".
    That's correct and that's one of the things that separates it from "the others".

So unless this stuff looks ridiculously awesome... It's not a big deal.

looks ridiculously awesome

Did you see this?

Just received an e-mail from Eric Vollmer at M&M Racing who was at the World of Wheels Car Show in Chicago this last weekend.

Eric let us know that 1940 Ford Coupe buffed out and detailed by our Competition Ready Team won BEST PAINT! Plus 3 more awards.

Award #1 = Best Paint

Award #2 = Best in class

Award #3 = Billet Specialties Top 20

Award #4 = Best display

Here it is on display at the show - photo courtesy of StephenK

Here's some pictures I took of the 1940 Ford Coupe immediately after the Competition Ready Team finished detailing, prepping and machine polishing.

Congratulations to all the guys on the team that made the magic happen and congratulations to Bob McKee and his new line of products including the products used to create the finish that won BEST PAINT!

On Autogeek.com

McKee's 37 Fast Compound - 16 oz

McKee's 37 Fast Polish - 16 oz

McKee's 37 Jeweling Wax - 16 oz

Also, wax is not preferred over sealants or coatings in this day and age for non show cars...
    Well that's an opinion. What I've seen is non show cars, I guess that means DAILY DRIVERS - even when coated the coating gets a dirt stain.

From my first post...

Perfect for regular maintenance of daily drivers
    Vehicles that are used as daily drivers are exposed to all sorts of attack to the exterior finish. This is especially true for vehicles in geographical areas where it rains.

When it rains, the cars driving in front of your car spray water from the road onto your car. The water spray contains oily fluids dripped onto the road by the hundreds and even thousands of cars that drive over the road each day. This oily water spray also contain dirt and the effect is this oily, dirty water accumulates to form road film on your car's paint.

A jeweling wax is powerful enough to remove road film to restore a clean paint surface without removing measurable amounts of paint like compounds, medium cut polishes and medium cleaning cleaner/waxes or AIO's.

and HD speed is a sealant and Essence is a coating.

Everybody relax.
    For the record....

In my entire life in the car detailing world I've never met another educated, seasoned professional detailer that has used a cleaner/wax as their FINAL LSP for a show car the day before the car is put on display.

Never.

Like I wrote already... cleaner/waxes are great. Hell I teach how to use a cleaner/wax in my 3-day classes when I cover Production Detailing as a way to make money.

This year at Mobile Tech Expo I taught TWO classes on how to use a one-step cleaner/wax, one with the FLEX 3401 and one with the RUPES BigFoot 15 and 21. After my RUPES class Jason Rose took the time to walk over and tell me my presentation on how to use the RUPES orbital polishers with one-step cleaner waxes was great.

The big picture is this...

A product like McKee's 37 while offering the same three things all cleaner/waxes and AIO's offer, that is,

1. Cleans
    2. Polishes
    3. Protects

it's the fact that it's NOT heavy on the cleaning side and but super on the polishing and shining side that makes it different enough that it shouldn't be lumped into the same category as all the rest of the cleaner/waxes on the market.

Heck Nu Finish is a one-step cleaner/wax and it certainly doesn't create the deep, wet shine like you see on the 1940 Ford Coupe.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast