autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    When I hear the term road film I think of Scott with Dallas Paint Correction and DetailingRoad Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I love Scott, his videos about pH are the only ones that have ever triggered me though. His lack of understanding of the pH scale is worrisome, considering he believes it to be the sole contributor to somethings cleaning potential.

I enjoy his accent, particularly when he says buffing payds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    I love Scott, his videos about pH are the only ones that have ever triggered me though. His lack of understanding of the pH scale is worrisome, considering he believes it to be the sole contributor to somethings cleaning potential.

I enjoy his accent, particularly when he says buffing payds.
    This could be a very good discussion. I am no chemist, so is there really no direct correlation between a product’s pH level and its cleaning power?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AKT View Post
    This could be a very good discussion. I am no chemist, so is there really no direct correlation between a product’s pH level and its cleaning power?
    I too would like to know, Scott is very strong willed about this...as well as other thing, which I likeRoad Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I too would like to know, Scott is very strong willed about this...as well as other thing, which I likeRoad Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

Yeah. Because if his recommended soap would deep clean my car every time, no need to polish (remove some clear coat), i will be having a clean intact paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Here's another full write-up on how to use a paint cleaner, I wrote this 7+ years ago but the information is still accurate.

How to clay, clean and wax paint by hand with Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion and Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax

Not sure if i am just a caveman, but i cannot seem to click on the link...

Post Thanks / Like

Weird. The link worked when i “quote” it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Yes. That is a VERY SAFE approach.

See this article,

The benefits of a light paint cleaner, cleansing lotion or pre-wax cleaner

Just quoting so i can click on the link

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AKT View Post
    I wouldn't go so far as to say there is no correlation, but I would say that focusing solely on pH and ignoring everything else isn't the best way to go about it.

If you consider water is a pH of 7 (it can vary, but for this purpose we'll say 7.) Dawn dish soap has a pH of 7.4, and it's notorious for breaking down grease and grime. I don't think anyone here would agree that Dawn is equal in effectiveness to just plain water when it comes to cleaning. If pH was really the only thing you had to focus on (Scott certainly is focused on it) then Dawn shouldn't be able to do anything more than water can do, which simply isn't the case. I'm no chemist, but if pH were the sole deciding factor, the above wouldn't be true.

Aside from pH, the different surfactants, and their varying strengths and purposes, play a huge role in determining cleaning ability. It's possible two soaps with the exact same pH level can have wildly different cleaning properties. In my experience over the years with varying car soaps from several manufacturers, I've never noticed a significant difference in cleaning ability between them.

This is also evident in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWtUKIygT8U

If pH were the main concern, then blech-white, super clean, and super degreaser should have accomplished the same amount of cleaning (they're all the same pH) on that floor mat, but the surfactants in blech-white are different.

Whatever surfactants are present in the soap he is using are just different than other, pH neutral, car soaps. It would have to be, especially if this soap is marketed towards cleaning boats (which it is.)

Again, I'm not expert, and I'm always open to being taught something I don't know. I love Scott's videos, because like Garry Dean and Darren Priest, he honestly just keeps it real. Which I really appreciate. He speaks sensibly about a lot of things, but his focus on pH neutral soaps being useless just really bothers me in a big way, because he presents his subjective opinion as an objective fact.

Post Thanks / Like

Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

Rumor has it that Scott is just a paid actor who's a master at lip syncing... And that you're actually getting detailing advice from Howard Stern. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Man.. here I was thinking he was impersonating Ray Romano Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast