autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to use a one-step cleaner/wax to maximize profits

Quote Originally Posted by Vue to a kill View Post
    I am guilty of putting too much time into cars sometimes. I've been using D151 lately to try and combat my bad habit. It's not what I want but what the customer wants.
    I think this is more what ALL of you guys are saying when it actually gets down to it.

Anyone that enjoys polishing paint, whether it's a DD or a garage queen, whether it's a weekend warrior that never gets paid, the "go to guy" for your local car club, or even a pro that pays the bills..... has probably (more times than we care to admit) gone more than just a little bit OVERBOARD when it comes to what WE want versus what the CUSTOMER wants.

That aside, several AIO's have been mentioned in this thread that perform excellent, on a wide variety of paint, under quite different circumstances. I personally can't speak for 360 AIO but have heard it's great. I can speak to Megs 151 and it can do a lot more than just make paint "shiny". Given the right pad it'll easily do a 90% correction, and just by swapping out pads it'll do a "1.5" level correction then leaving things super shiny as an extra added benefit ain't all bad folks.

Post Thanks / Like

I think AIO are great I just never use them and probably never will use them.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, the cold is killing me and my business. I haven't done a car since the end of Dec.

That said most of my customers are DD's and they love the results I get with Pinnacle XMT 360. If I get the chance I try to upsell a multi stage project for the garage queens. The AIO however has really improved my profit and customer sats.

Fred

Post Thanks / Like

Customer wanted this car prepped for sale. Wash, speedy prep, D151. Boom. Done.

This was accomplished with Meg's MF & LC Orange CCS, D151, and PCXP polisher. The customer was thrilled and the car sold in one day. Innovative usage of a good AIO product is a great way to improve profits and make your customers happy by giving them exactly what they want.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2shiny View Post
    i'm wondering if Autoglym srp would do as a AIO, or doesn't it have enough cut?
    SRP works perfectly as an AIO. The formula was changed in 2012 and can be used by hand or machine. So far I have only used it by hand. SRP does contain some abrasives but they are quite mild. SRP is one of those products where every time I use it I forget how good it really is. It is not a sexy or popular as some products but it does a good job

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    I think this is more what ALL of you guys are saying when it actually gets down to it.

Anyone that enjoys polishing paint, whether it's a DD or a garage queen, whether it's a weekend warrior that never gets paid, the "go to guy" for your local car club, or even a pro that pays the bills..... has probably (more times than we care to admit) gone more than just a little bit OVERBOARD when it comes to what WE want versus what the CUSTOMER wants.

I agree....

Well said...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    Customer wanted this car prepped for sale. Wash, speedy prep, D151. Boom. Done.

This was accomplished with Meg's MF & LC Orange CCS, D151, and PCXP polisher. The customer was thrilled and the car sold in one day. Innovative usage of a good AIO product is a great way to improve profits and make your customers happy by giving them exactly what they want.
    D151 is a beast! I used it on a silver Ford Edge with fantastic results. I just topped it with WGDGPS and it looked like I had done a 3 step correction on it.

Mike Phillips

And just to note because this thread has over 11,000 views and almost 100 replies....

Meguiar's D151 is a Medium Cut Cleaner/Wax.

Pinnacle XMT is a Light Cut Cleaner/Wax.

There are no longer any Heavy Cut Cleaner/Waxes in the automotive world, at least at a professional level.

Heavy cut cleaner/waxes went the way of the Dodo Bird when clearcoats were introduced because it's asking too much from a product to cut heavy and leave a nice looking finish on clearcoat paints systems.

There are heavy cut cleaner/waxes in the Marine detailing world because gel-coats are a completely different animal as is the demographic customer base.

An example of an Very Light Cut Cleaner/Wax would be Optimum GPS and even lighter would be Meguiar's M21 and even lighter would be M20.

Klasse AIO is also a very light cleaner/wax as it offers chemical only cleaning, no abrasives.

So be aware not all cleaner/waxes offer the same amount of correction ability and the goal when doing a one-step for a customer is to,

Use the least aggressive cleaner/wax as possible for the nicest looking end-results.

Use the softest pad as possible for the nicest looking end-results.
    (I teach a class on this at Mobile Tech Expo).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Meguiar's D151 is a Medium Cut Cleaner/Wax.

Pinnacle XMT is a Light Cut Cleaner/Wax.
    I am just trying to clarify since I am still new to the whole detailing thing. I would basically use the D151 on a white foam pad and go over the entire vehicle, making slow passes with the product (just like a two step polish)?. When I was done with that, it would be clean, polished, and sealed correct? Could I add a separate sealant on top, or would the D151 residue/sealant hinder the bonding of the Paint Sealant?

Optimus Shine Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyBlackHoe View Post
    I am just trying to clarify since I am still new to the whole detailing thing. I would basically use the D151 on a white foam pad and go over the entire vehicle, making slow passes with the product (just like a two step polish)?. When I was done with that, it would be clean, polished, and sealed correct? Could I add a separate sealant on top, or would the D151 residue/sealant hinder the bonding of the Paint Sealant?
    Topping an AIO with anything sort if defeats the purpose of an AIO in my opinion. You might as well use a dedicated polish and then finish with a wax or sealant of your choosing if going that route.

Sent from my N9810 using AG Online
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast