autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to clean your foam pad on the fly

Mike, first off thank you for creating this thread/sharing this technique!

The results I got after including this into my process has changed the game for me!

My next question is, do I do this with MF pads? I was told to clean them with compressed air on the fly with the machine on to 'fluff' them.

Or does this work better on that? What are your thoughts? Thanks again!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How to clean your foam pad on the fly

Interesting read, would anyone be able to comment on the cleaning of the Meguiars Dual Action Power Pads, the ones youd use with the DA Power Sustem deill bit? Would this terry cloth method of cleaning also apply? I need to clean my burgundy coloured cutting pads and given they have velcro on the back, im not sure why Meguiars claim they are machine washable....

Post Thanks / Like

When Mike says that the "Cleaning Step" wiill take 4-6 hours to do in the OP:

"While this works, it means turning the polisher off, (now you're not buffing out the car, remember the time issue?) and grabbing your brush and then brushing the pad. Nothing wrong with this but when you consider how long it already takes to do the cleaning step, (about 4-6 hours for an average size car and that’s if your good at this and if you work fast and don’t take any breaks. So stopping the polisher and using a brush to clean the pad works but it’s not as fast or effective as using a terry cloth towel."

Is he saying "Just" the Compounding Step with a DA in 4-6 hours. Or does he mean, BOTH, the Compounding and Polishing steps can get done in 4-6 hours?

Thank you!

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

If it's supposed to take 4-6 hours just to do the Compounding step, I have grossly misunderstood how much time I should be spending on cleaning and prepping my paint for my wax or sealant.

Mike Phillips

[QUOTE=willowcat11;1361667]

When Mike says that the "Cleaning Step" will take 4-6 hours to do in the OP:

"While this works, it means turning the polisher off, (now you're not buffing out the car, remember the time issue?) and grabbing your brush and then brushing the pad. Nothing wrong with this but when you consider how long it already takes to do the cleaning step, (about 4-6 hours for an average size car and that’s if your good at this and if you work fast and don’t take any breaks. So stopping the polisher and using a brush to clean the pad works but it’s not as fast or effective as using a terry cloth towel."

Is he saying "Just" the Compounding Step with a DA in 4-6 hours.

Yes!

That is what I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by willowcat11 View Post

Or does he mean, BOTH, the Compounding and Polishing steps can get done in 4-6 hours?

Ray
    NO!

If you're working on neglected paint and doing a three step process,

Step 1: Compounding
    Step 2: Polishing
    Step 3: Sealing the paint (wax, sealant or coating)

The the first step, the compounding step using a free spinning tool like the,

Porter Cable 7424XP
    Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher
    Meguiar's MT300
    Griot's BOSS G15 or G21
    RUPES BigFoot 21 or 15 or Duetto
    Cyclo polisher

Then the first step, the compounding step is going to take you 4-6 hours depending upon how GOOD you are and staying behind the polisher and polishing paint. Every time you STOP to talk on the phone or text, or use the bathroom or fill-in-the-blank, the paint is NOT getting closer to the end of the compounding step.

That's what I mean by

depending upon how GOOD you are and staying behind the polisher and polishing paint

If it's supposed to take 4-6 hours just to do the Compounding step, I have grossly misunderstood how much time I should be spending on cleaning and prepping my paint for my wax or sealant.

Here's the deal... in order to go faster you cannot simply move the polisher over the paint faster. Read the directions for any of the above tools and for doing paint correction, that is using a compound and a cutting pad to remove serious paint defects you're supposed to move the polisher SLOWLY over the paint as you make overlapping passes usually in a crosshatch pattern depending upon the shape of the panel being buffed.

There are two tools that can decrease the time needed for the correction step and these would be,

Rotary buffer
    FLEX 3401

Somewhere on this forum I recently answered a question on choosing a polisher and I said something to the effect of using a FLEX 34001 to...

POWER THROUGH A DETAIL JOB

That's due to the gear-driven feature of the FLEX 3401.

Buy yeah... it takes time to do the correction step and the correction step is THE MOST IMPORTANT step. If you don't remove the defects in the correction step the polishing and waxing steps are simply going to make the remaining defects pretty.

This is also why I teach guys how to educate their customer when selling their services. Quality work takes time. There's no way around it. Time is money. If you're detailing cars you need to learn how to charge for your time otherwise you'll starve to death. That or like I teach in my classes, learn how to match your services to your customer so you can eat at the end of the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, Thank you greatly for this Awesome and Very helpful response. This is all new to me, and could only help me moving forward, to be a better detailer.

The guys have all been suggesting your books and classes lately, and this will be the direction I'm heading in.

Have a Great week Mike, and take care!

Ray

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I could save more money now! Thank you so much for sharing us a great idea.. <3

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

it is ok to use this cleaning method with a rupes 21 mk2?which speed?thanks!

Mike Phillips

Mike, Thank you greatly for this Awesome and Very helpful response. This is all new to me, and could only help me moving forward, to be a better detailer.

The guys have all been suggesting your books and classes lately, and this will be the direction I'm heading in.

Have a Great week Mike, and take care!

Ray

Thanks for your feedback... I hope to see you in a future class. If you haven't already, check out the feedback from Jaeda and Patrick, a wife and husband team that attended my last class here,

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ml#post1490641

car detailing class, how to detail a car instructional class, mike phillips detailing class, best detailing classes for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike, I have a question about the pad washer. I am thinking about purchasing the Universal Grit Guard washer today. Can this be used to clean the pads "on the fly" with my Rupes 21? I guess the only concern I have is the moisture after drying the pad. I would assume that the pad would not be completely dry after the drying step correct? Would that little bit of moisture affect the performance of the Rupes compounds and polishes?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast