autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Hand Car Wash - $10

As I'm driving down the most prestigous street in town today, I notice a sign at a BP service station that reads "$10 Hand Car Washes"..... I'm like, ### is this....so I turn around and go into detective mode. Me and Trouble find a nice spot where we can observe their activity

When we first pull up we see 3 guys washing a brand spanking new white Rolls Royce. One guy is dragging a broom (RV Brush) across the paint, while another one rinses, the third guy has a mop bucket going around to each wheel spending about 4 seconds pr.wheel/tire. After they rinse, all 3 grab filty looking bath towels and start grinding away

As I'm leaving in frustration I see a 09/10 Aston Martin pull into the service station and head straight for the wash area. At this point, I'm so f'ing pissed, I pull onto the street with a heavy foot, I snatch 2nd gear rubber. Precisely at that very moment, one of Mphs finest pulls along side me

It looks as if someone is renting out the old Swirl-a-Matic that the station use to use. My question is how are they affording the rent on such a prestigous address, supplies and payroll of at least 3 ppl charging $10 pr car

End of nightmare

Flash

PS I am sure now, God hates me
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hand Car Wash - $10

Interesting.....could this be subsidized by Obama's stimulus package paid in part by American taxpayers?

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand why someone with that kind of car is going to a $10 car wash in the first place. Don't they know that it's probably not the best wash to go to?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maximus20895 View Post
    I don't understand why someone with that kind of car is going to a $10 car wash in the first place. Don't they know that it's probably not the best wash to go to?
    They are everywhere down here in Tampa.Everyone and their brother is a "detailer".It makes me sick to see how busy they are and the lack of products they use.We had a customer with a BMW M5 that was a mess from the side street washes and even after quoting the job before hand and that was with a discount for doing his wifes Cadillac Escalade he was trying to low ball when he came to pick up the car.We spent more time than expected correcting the paint and a heck of a lot of leather conditioner on the interior since it had never been done in two years. After a little bit of arguing I was paid and told him to take his wifes ride to the $10 wash because I was not going to deal with him again.You name it I have seen it at those washes and the thought has run through my wife and my mind that maybe we should join in on the action, but not for no ten dollars...
    Cianfrocca's Auto Detailing LLC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Interesting.....could this be subsidized by Obama's stimulus package paid in part by American taxpayers?
    Its a damn crying shame Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by maximus20895 View Post
    I'll never understand this thought pattern either Maximus
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redneckmafia View Post
    They are everywhere down here in Tampa.Everyone and their brother is a "detailer".It makes me sick to see how busy they are and the lack of products they use.We had a customer with a BMW M5 that was a mess from the side street washes and even after quoting the job before hand and that was with a discount for doing his wifes Cadillac Escalade he was trying to low ball when he came to pick up the car.We spent more time than expected correcting the paint and a heck of a lot of leather conditioner on the interior since it had never been done in two years. After a little bit of arguing I was paid and told him to take his wifes ride to the $10 wash because I was not going to deal with him again.You name it I have seen it at those washes and the thought has run through my wife and my mind that maybe we should join in on the action, but not for no ten dollars...
    Ill share with you my Bentley story from last year in a minute...I gotta go freekin lay down right now for a lil bit

Post Thanks / Like

still haven't told us your funny liquid glass story...

maybe that will make you feel better...
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    still haven't told us your funny liquid glass story...

maybe that will make you feel better...
    You just made me chuckle...thank you

I will share that one too...guide me to the thread we were at

Post Thanks / Like

I know this must be SOOOOO Frustrating for you! Can't answer your question on how this operation affords its location, supplies, and employees salary....But like Bobby said, they have to be subsidized. Why, I don't know. Surely this operation isn't giving these guys a 'quality of life', living wage'.

What to do, what to do??

Situating yourself at the end-of-wash-area with your business card and advise at the ready, might be an eye opener for some of these high-end vehicle owners.

Gotta go now. My groupon coupon for a $5 discount towards a $10 hand wash expires shortly. (I'll say it for you...BOOOOOO; HISSSSSS)
    Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I think the idea for most people is, "well, if there ain't any dirt on it, it don't need no cleaning." Most car owners do not see swirls, scratches, dents, oxidation, etc. like people that are into detailing. They just see a clean shiny car. "Why should I spend a hundred dollars for a "detail when the people down the road'll do the same job fur ten bucks?" Because they don't understand what the difference is.

When I conducted a business survey in my neighborhood, I found that a lot of people really don't care about maintaining the appearance of their vehicle. You probably would realize how many times I heard:
    "Oh that thing pointing to a new, 0-3 year(s) old, $30,000+ vehicle) Yeah, it gets washed every time it rains!(laughs)."
    They just don't understand what will happen to their investment!

As far as the stimulus, I thought that was for the Big banks, GM, Chrysler, Cowboy Poetry society and such things, not small business! Remember, the government doesn't like small business.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast