autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question for detailing business owners

Happens everyday.I agree not to take on big debt in a different business.Detailing small debt is fine.Cash is king all the time,and I'd rather keep my liquid 20k or so to get me through the rough times if you're committed to building a business.Or the second chance in America is called bankruptcy.Detail is a easy sell and in demand.when I started I had 2 new cars,traded one in for a brandnew e250 ford van and financed every bit of it.my payment was 602.00 a month just for the payment.first year I made 61000. It kept me focused and humble all the time to pay off that loan.

Post Thanks / Like

I started with off the shelf products and did everything by hand. Heck my vacuum was a super small shop vac I got at Walmart for like $30 bucks. I used what I had to make money to buy basic gear and then after my first year was able to stash enough aside to buy much better gear. I didn't want to get a loan I figured if I couldn't start it with little and get it to sustain itself then if it failed I wouldn't be in debt and since I was working to get better gear it kept me motivated and very humble

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    I didn't want to get a loan I figured if I couldn't start it with little and get it to sustain itself then if it failed I wouldn't be in debt and since I was working to get better gear it kept me motivated and very humble
    Exactly my thought on it. That's exactly what I did. However, I don't need a payment to keep my motivation through the roof. Becoming the best damn detailer in the country is motivation enough. Like I said earlier though, whatever works for YOU, is what's important. If that loan pushed you to work harder and become better, that's all that matters. You improving.

Post Thanks / Like

2000 is not considered debt for gear and stuff.I wanted all in,and wanted what nobody had going on here.which was a brandnew van all tools and such.I was fortunate enough to make all that work.Till this day I have a new van and payment again.

Post Thanks / Like

It's practically the same as a mortgage.within 30 years you don't know your future.job loss health promblems basically the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Your gonna have debt no matter what in life.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info. Sorry ive not been on been busy lately.

Post Thanks / Like

False. You do not have to have debt. There are millions of people who live debt free (and as soon as I pay my house off I will be too) yes debt is easier but it is NOT a way of life. I'll never agree to that. If I had it all to do over again I wouldnt have borrowed .01!! Not even for a house. I'd have saved money and bought a much less expensive one.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

I have been detailing professionaly for four years. I am giving you the advice I wish someone had given me. In Renny Doyle's book, he says "become the paint correction expert in your town". I second that. So let me tell you how to do this on the cheap.

First, don't buy a DA, only buy a Flex PE-14-150. Buy every backing plate and matching Lake Country pads. This means 1", 2", 3", 4", 5". Now. Buy a paint depth gauge. Next buy a DSLR camara with 18-55 mm lens. It does not make a difference whether you choose Nikon or Canon. Then, get Menzerna Fast Gloss for your 1-pass product. For your 2-step correction process, get Menzerna 300 Super Cut, plus Menzerna 3500 for your polish. Also, get a McKee's 37 bag. This bag will carry everything you need. You will also need a 3m Sun Gun. If you don't have the money for one, you can make a DIY one for 70 bucks ( Ping me if you need to know where to get the instructions) . Also, buy 1 gallon of Iron X, plus PBL Diamond Surface Coating and matching polish.

Now that you have the necessary products, go to the junk yard and buy about 20 car hoods. When you have corrected 3 hoods in a row that look perfect, you are ready to do your first car. And I personally recommend that you do not do it one moment before.

At the same time you are correcting these hoods, you need to learn how to use your camera. You should have an ample supply of 50/50 shots and before and after pix for your website and Facebook site.

Now for making money. After you have completed your first full paint correction (preferably your own vehicle- your own vehicle should be a driving advertisement and marketing tool for your services), start doing friends and family. NOTE: They should all be paying you for this service. There are no freebies in this industry. Ever. If you start off by giving away a "free service", you set a precedence. A very bad one. Always demand money for your talent, time, and expertise. Always market yourself as much more valuable than you have ever dreamed you could possibly be and others will respect you for it and will just assume that you are THAT successful and talented and an expert. If you do a good enough job with their cars and photograph them for your website, you will have people calling you in no time at all. Referrals are king, only surpassed by cash!

However, if you live in Dallas TX, ignore everything I said and keep your day job. I promise to come visit. <g>. Best of luck to you. I truly mean that. It is really a competitive industry, but it is going to be the most rewarding career you could've ever chosen, should you have the fire within you to pursue it. Like the others have said though, if you don't have the fire then don't go for it. It is not a job or career that someone should take just for the sake of trying to get rich. It really is a service and passion of love. If you don't truly love what you do for a living, then you should not be doing it. And that goes for whatever you choose to do. Again, best of luck and let us know how we can help you out along the way.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VortexSpoke214 View Post
    Hey all

As most people that detail for a hobby Ive toyed with doing it as a business. If I do i would do part time and slowly build it up. I like the job im at now just fine so im not in a hurry. I would use ONR as my business model.

My question is those of yall that took your detailing to the next level and made it a career do yall regret it? How many hours do you all typically work? Any tips for getting started?

Hi - new guy here just starting in the detailing business myself as a part-time gig. I work in IT and built a website to generate car detailing leads, and its working - got 3 leads this week. Anyone in the north NJ area in here interested in some referrals while I figure this business out? website is Wayne Mobile Car Detailing - Mobile Car Wash & Detail at your place!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast