autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting ready to detail a G37 Sport

If you're not used to polishing, especially compounding... DO NOT start off with M105. That stuff can be a BEAR to work with! It'll dry out on you in as little as 2 section passes. And once it does.... OH BOY! The only thing that'll remove it is more 105 with a quick pass and try to wipe it off while it's still wet. Or... try and spritz it with distilled water and go at it LIGHTLY just once with your buffer and wipe it off QUICK. Or... mix a bit of mineral oil (Baby Oil will do) around the surface on it to help hydrate it, then wipe that off.

Better yet, get M100, or D300. D300 is Meguiars Microfiber Correction Compound but it works with ANY pad I've ever tried, and works GREAT. My favorite heavy compound from Meguiar's these last few years in fact.

I'd do it with D300 if I were using Megs. If you want to use Menzerna... then sure... FG400 will work WONDERS. Make SURE you do your TEST SPOTS!!!!! Tape off your roof or hood into 4 or 6 sections accordingly. Start with a white pad, machine speed 5, medium arm pressure, slow arm speed. Then do a test spot with an orange pad, same machine speed, same arm pressure, same arm speed. Do FIVE passes on each section.

Do the above with D300, and do it again with FG400.

There WILL be a difference between the two sections with each compound. There will also be a difference between the compounds on the various sections.

From there you can tell whether you can finish it out with that particular compound..... or..... finish with a lighter polish.

FWIW... you can do a 1.5 step process with FG400 by switching to a finishing pad about half way through working FG400 down and it'll look GREAT. (That'd be work it 4~5 passes with your cutting pad, then finishing it with a light cut pad another 4~5 passes.)
    Not as good as if you do a light polish for your second step, but darned close.
    Been there, done that.

HD Speed is an AIO, they say it works great. (Haven't tried it.)

HD Adapt is a middle of the road product from them, and I know it works great. You'll need your sealant after that of course.

Locally you can find Megs DUB wheel cleaner and it's just as good as Sonax, but a LOT CHEAPER!!!!! I've even found it on BOGO at Advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting ready to detail a G37 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    I'll take a stab at this.

It may not be an issue, but if this car has been repainted and polished twice as you say, you might encounter some areas where the previous detailer either wet sanded or polished away a good amount of the clear coat, putting these areas at risk.

Rather than starting with the most aggressive compound/pad combo, I'd personally start by doing a test section -- 2' x 2' -- and using the least aggressive combination first and checking your results. Dial in the polish/compound and pad combination as needed. Take your time with this.

Once you are done, you can either wash or use something like IPA, Gtechniq Panel Wipe or CarPro Eraser to remove any polishing oils. You have to be careful that you use decent MF towels so as to not reintroduce any swirls or marring on your nicely polished paint.

^^ Great advice. Without seeing close up images but just suspecting it's what you say and just bad swirls, I'd be inclined to say start off gentle. Green pad and HDSpeed would be what I'd look at. Easy on/off and works great. As noted, just dial in if it's an orange or green pad you'll need. Start with Green. Take your time, capture before and after shots and post back if needed.

Key IMO, especially for someone not experienced with a buffer, etc. would be to take on this project as just that; a project and go slow. Do it right and don't go all out to finish it in one day unless you really have the need. Nothing wrong with learning as you go and finishing it up a few panels at a time.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12