autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

air compressor and generator

Hello everyone I live in the Bahamas and will be making a trip to Florida in a few days, would like to get a air compressor for the tornador I have also a generator to run the compressor also my vacuum and DA polisher. I never had a generator before because I was using my clients power at their homes, but would like to generate more income by being fully mobile. I am considering the Husky 20gal compressor from home depot but need some recommendations as to what size generator to buy for my needs, I can not go into home depot and expect the sales reps to recommend a generator because I realize alot of the big box store workers are not knowledgeable about what they are selling. Please help will be going in the next few days and appreciate any advice given.

Exuma Stealth

Post Thanks / Like

Re: air compressor and generator

I have always heard good things about the Honda 2000 and 3000 generators. I plan on getting one of them in the future.

If you need to run both the vac and the compressor at the same time, like with the Tornador, you might need the 3000

Post Thanks / Like

How are you going to get that stuff back to the Bahamas?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Air compressors draw several times their amp rating during startup. Even small units can take a fair size generator to get it going. I dont own a Tornador but I hear they have a cfm requirement that would outrun small compressors when run on a continuous basis. I havnt bought a generator yet either but do have a small compressor that comes in handy.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I have always heard good things about the Honda 2000 and 3000 generators. I plan on getting one of them in the future.

If you need to run both the vac and the compressor at the same time, like with the Tornador, you might need the 3000
    i agree your idea.good

Post Thanks / Like

Check the amps rating on the compressor your thinking about. That will give you a good idea of what you will need generator wise. There will be two amp figures startup and running. Most generators will also have a max watts and continuous wattage. Need to make sure that your compressor is at least 200 watts below the generator ratings. If you need help with your selections feel free to shoot me a pm when you get to Florida. I am in the Lake Worth/ West Palm Beach area if you are nearby I would even go with you if I am available.
    2016 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie CrewCab w/Air Suspension
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum Hybrid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joshwaa View Post
    Check the amps rating on the compressor your thinking about. That will give you a good idea of what you will need generator wise. There will be two amp figures startup and running. Most generators will also have a max watts and continuous wattage. Need to make sure that your compressor is at least 200 watts below the generator ratings. If you need help with your selections feel free to shoot me a pm when you get to Florida. I am in the Lake Worth/ West Palm Beach area if you are nearby I would even go with you if I am available.

Wouldn't you need a bigger buffer zone than 200 watts based on initial start up draw which can be 4x as much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    On Site Auto Detailing- Detailing all of Central Michigan
    (989) 708-8559
    www.onsiteautowash.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onsite View Post
    Wouldn't you need a bigger buffer zone than 200 watts based on initial start up draw which can be 4x as much?

Yes that's why I said he needs to check both the startup and the running of the compressor and also the surge and continuous of the generator. 200W is just roughly just over 1.5 amps which should be a good enough buffer.
    2016 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie CrewCab w/Air Suspension
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum Hybrid

Post Thanks / Like

Ah missed that part of your comment lol

On Site Auto Detailing- Detailing all of Central Michigan
    (989) 708-8559
    www.onsiteautowash.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post

I agree with "Mantilgh", I have a Honda EU2000 now for about 7 years and its going strong 0 issues. They are super quiet and can run in an eco mode where when power is called for it spins up the necessary juice. That allows it to idle quietly and not at full tilt all the time, so that saves on the noise and gas. I can literally have a conversation with someone standing right next to the EU2000.

I have powered a compressor of off it but it was a small 5 gal Craftsman, which did trip the breaker on the generator some of the time. I know I wouldn't be able to run a polisher and have the compressor turn on at the same time that's for sure. As "Lifeatreadline" said for compressors its all about how much wattage and amps it draws to startup, which I haven't figured out how to get that calculation. The Honda site has a great chart and great buyers guide of how to choose the correct generator output for your needs. I would definitely find the max amps and wattage draw for the compressor, and for the vacuum. Those will be your biggest loads. P(W) = I(A) × V(V) find the current I(Amps) specs then multiply by Volts 120. I got a 20gal Husky compressor spec from the HDepot site. Compressor draws 15A x 120V = 1800Watts. Now that looks like you should be fine with an 2000w generator but an EU2000 is not enough for the initial "startup load" of a compressor like the Husky, plus other running equipment simultaneously.

Last thing is to find out what the rated continuous wattage and current it can run at. Exp: EU2000 120V 2000W max. (16.7A) <-- Power levels between rated and maximum may be used for no more than 30 minutes. 1600W rated (13.3A) and lower<-- okay to run at till it runs out of gas.

To run what you've laid out, I'd go for a 3000w generator of your choice. Reason I say this is my 2000w did trip more than not with that Craftsman. Who knows maybe that motor wasn't as efficient as newer ones. It was a buddies so I can't get the power specs from it anymore. Its a tough decision, as most of your tools will not be running at the same time. I get by great with my 2000w but I don't run a compressor (yet). Honda's are a bit costly but in my opinion, its a solid and quality machine. This thing just runs, and runs.