autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How to make the best of failed clearcoat?

I'm looking for some tips on how to make the best of a vehicle with clear coat failure. I have an old work truck that was poorly repainted, and the clear is essentially all gone. I have no interest in repainting it, but I would like to make it look the best I can.

Is polishing on the basecoat a good idea or will that not turn out well? Are there any spray sealants/waxes or coatings that can bring some shine to a flat basecoat?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to make the best of failed clearcoat?

Polishing is not a good idea, it will really just take the basecoat off. You can try a heavy wax like Collinite 476S, but usually that only lasts for about a week in this application. Sorry I don't have better news.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Mike Phillips' article on oxidized single stage paint would help. You could maybe apply the product by hand and let it sit overnight and see if it does anything. Maybe not since the single stage has the gloss built in and obviously a base coat doesn't. Just thinking out loud for you...hopefully others will chime in and tell you if this might work or not.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Weslsew View Post
    I'm looking for some tips on how to make the best of a vehicle with clear coat failure. I have an old work truck that was poorly repainted, and the clear is essentially all gone. I have no interest in repainting it, but I would like to make it look the best I can.

Is polishing on the basecoat a good idea or will that not turn out well? Are there any spray sealants/waxes or coatings that can bring some shine to a flat basecoat?
    You may be able to obtain somewhat of a shine but without the clear coat for protection It's not going to last long at all. You'll be trying to work shine out of the truck paint on a very frequent basis.

You said you weren't interested in repainting the truck... IMO an old work truck would be the perfect canvas for a DIY first paint job (assuming you've never painted a vehicle). A cheap harbor freight HVLP gun (the purple one), some single stage PPG Omni or PPG Shopline (PPG's budget paint) reducers, primers etc.

Just a thought as I know some people don't have the desire or the place to do a diy paint job.
    Second Best One Legged Detailer in The World... That top slot is unattainable

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedXray View Post
    You may be able to obtain somewhat of a shine but without the clear coat for protection It's not going to last long at all. You'll be trying to work shine out of the truck paint on a very frequent basis.

You said you weren't interested in repainting the truck... IMO an old work truck would be the perfect canvas for a DIY first paint job (assuming you've never painted a vehicle). A cheap harbor freight HVLP gun (the purple one), some single stage PPG Omni or PPG Shopline (PPG's budget paint) reducers, primers etc.

Just a thought as I know some people don't have the desire or the place to do a diy paint job.
    I like your thinking Red! This way you get a chance to
    possibly, create a diamond out of coal. At the very least you
    will gain some valuable knowledge and the pride of doing it
    your way. Now I wish I had an old truck. Let us know what you decide and how you did. Good luck & take care.

Peace,

Darrin