autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need answer FAST !!!

Ok, I've washed my car before the sun came up all the way. Now my car (which has no garage in which to live) is sitting baking in the southern sun (full bore). I'll not have a chance to do any other outside work today as the sun doesn't get behind my house until after 6:30 and I'll be leaving this evening at that time.

So, my question is: What can I do tomorrow morning before the sun comes all the way up again without having to go through the rigors of washing my car again?

My goal is to clay bar, polish (very lite scratches etc.), then wax, then seal (optional).

I'll do good to finish one project per day depending on what all I have to do that particular day. I just don't want to have to wash my car every day before I start working on it again..... that would not be worth my time.

Any ideas? Yes, I have a waterless wash, but, it only knocks off maybe 15 minutes off my full wash time.

I've thought about doing this in sections as in, roof, then hood and trunk lid, then doors, then all the little areas around the front and rear areas where I'd not be able to apply polish and/or wax with a DA. But, I'd still have to at least use a waterless wash, correct?

Not having shade (garage or other) really makes detailing tough.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need answer FAST !!!

IMO I'd say if you don't drive the car at all you at least need to rinse off. Since you're claying and polishing I wouldn't worry to much. You're going to have to get up early and let your neighbors think you're crazy. I know some on here have pop up canopies they use too. Good luck
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

This happens to me all the time. I get amped up to crush a wash, clay, polish, wax before the sun starts baking. I get about half way through the clay and my plan falls apart as I feel the sun on my back, lol. Last weekend I was working on my wife's SUV in the driveway because my car was in the garage in the middle of polishing steps. Her's need to be finished, so I put up an EZ up tent to keep the sun off it and allow me to finish clay and polish through the day. I got up at 5am the next morning to finish up the polish and apply sealant by 9am then she was off to the beach with the kids.

In your scenario, I agree with hoyt66. If you're are not driving it, you should be fine starting the clay and polish the next morning. The Nanoskin mitts make claying go much quicker, but if I've never decontaminated the car before, I like to use a clay bar the first time... that's just my preference. Then I'll use the nanoskin on future treatments... goes much faster.

One thing I try to keep in mind to help keeping me from overreaching goals... it takes me about 7-10 hours to polish a vehicle with 1 step. LSP application goes much faster... maybe 1/2 hour.

If you are going to seal, I would do that before wax. I believe it will need to cure for a certain amount of time before applying wax, exposing to rain, etc. 24 hours maybe? Check with the instructions for whatever sealant you'd be using.

Good luck

2006 Z51 C6 - 398ci LS3, TEA LS3 Heads, Callies, Diamond 9.5:1, Procharger F1C, A&A IC, Aeromotive Eliminator, ID1000, RPM TR6060 & RPM Z06 Diff, Penske 6200

Post Thanks / Like

This car is my DD and unfortunately for the next 6 days I have to drive it. There are times that the car just sits for 4 or 5 days in a row.... 3 days in a row is more common, so, I guess when I finish with the next week when I have multiple appointments for 6 days straight, I'll just need to wash it again......... is that what you'd say?

I do have a pop-up canopy, but, no help in getting it setup and my HOA will not let me leave it up over night..... they'd hang me from my only tree in the yard.

Can you guys setup your canopy w/out help? I've only set mine up once and had difficulty with two of us........ *sigh*

Post Thanks / Like

I had my wife help set up the EZ up... which seemed to make the task more difficult. Then my 5yo son wanted to help. I'm surprised I got anything done that day come to think of it. The hardest part is moving it once its up.

Yeah, I'd probably give it a wash & dry again. Its the least time consuming step in the process.

I'll edit my previous statement of 1/2 hour to apply LSP. I must have been really rushing that morning. Today I just spent 3 hours (with a few breaks) applying Powerlock sealant to my Vette. Haven't even done the wipe down yet! Either I'm being too picky or I'm just real slow.

2006 Z51 C6 - 398ci LS3, TEA LS3 Heads, Callies, Diamond 9.5:1, Procharger F1C, A&A IC, Aeromotive Eliminator, ID1000, RPM TR6060 & RPM Z06 Diff, Penske 6200

Post Thanks / Like

Polish one panel at a time. If you can only get the hood done, then get the hood done. Might not be able to get the car done in one day, but you will do a better job because you won't try rushing to get the rest of the car done.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shagnat View Post
    My goal is to clay bar, polish (very lite scratches etc.), then wax, then seal (optional)
    FYI, if you are thinking of sealing, you want to do that before wax.

As for timing, as suggested above, I recommend doing a panel at a time. Do the full wash, clay, polish, wax and/or seal, but only on the one panel. Then do another panel another day, and so on until you are done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shagnat View Post
    My goal is to clay bar, polish (very lite scratches etc.), then wax, then seal (optional)
    FYI, if you are thinking of sealing, you want to do that before wax.

As for timing, as suggested above, I recommend doing a panel at a time; wash, clay, polish, wax and/or seal, but only on the one panel. Then do another panel another day, and so on until you are done.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. The panel at a time is the best idea. Getting old keeps the two brain cells from coordinating.

Post Thanks / Like

With a garage I do a complete wash/clay 1 day, decomp if needed, then a few panels/day qd/ww, polishing, lsp.

With no garage, how do you turn on your DA w/o waking and p/o your homeowners 5-6am?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast