autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I air dry my microfibers?

I just washed my new MF's and just as I was getting ready to throw them in the dryer I remembered that my wife uses dryer sheets that have a fragrance. I don't want to dry my MF's in the dryer. Can I hang them up in my basement ( dry,dehumidified space, not heated, 55 deg.) Or can I wipe down the inside of the dryer with isopropyl alcohol?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can I air dry my microfibers?

I hang mine to dry. No problems and I've done it for years!

Post Thanks / Like

Air drying is fine I did it for awhile but know just use the air dry cycle on the dryer. No dryer sheets go in my dryer though.
    It's all in the details

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep a bottle of 40% alcohol next to my washer & dryer and wipe them both down before running a load of microfiber. (FWIW the tubs in both are stainless.)

Shouldn't be a problem.

Drying them in the basement at 55° will likely lead to mold. Unless you have some fans aimed directly at them and a good airflow going on at all times. I'd just wipe down the dryer and use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    I keep a bottle of 40% alcohol next to my washer & dryer and wipe them both down before running a load of microfiber. (FWIW the tubs in both are stainless.)

Shouldn't be a problem.

Drying them in the basement at 55° will likely lead to mold. Unless you have some fans aimed directly at them and a good airflow going on at all times. I'd just wipe down the dryer and use it.
    I run a dehumidifier 24/7 so the humidity level stays at 55% year round so no worries there, but I guess I'll wipe it down with alcohol and use it. I wasn't thrilled about having to air dry a whole load of MF's anyway!

Post Thanks / Like

My wife uses dryer sheets all the time. I have never wiped the inside of my stainless steel dryer and never had a problem with my micro fiber towels.

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    My wife uses dryer sheets all the time. I have never wiped the inside of my stainless steel dryer and never had a problem with my micro fiber towels.
    This and I dry on low heat. Been doing it for years. I'd need a ton of room to air dry when I do MF laundry.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

Ever notice the dust, and other air-borne contaminates, that's flying around and then winds up accumulating around the house, furniture, garage, vehicles, TVs, etc.?

Those same contaminates will also be accumulating on, and then within, your wet hung-up-to-dry MF-towels.

Therefore...IMO:
    Less contamination-accrual when
    they're dried in the Dryer.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Supergus1 View Post
    I run a dehumidifier 24/7 so the humidity level stays at 55% year round so no worries there, but I guess I'll wipe it down with alcohol and use it. I wasn't thrilled about having to air dry a whole load of MF's anyway!
    My wife actually has this bar of softener that mounts into a slide-click thingy inside the dryer. The slide is stuck to the dryer tub and the stick of stuff removable by clicking a tab on the end and sliding it out. It's like a big hard stick of underarm deodorant! So I know it's in there, BOY is it in there. Once she threw a load in the dryer when I didn't get to them in time and I yelled at her. Since then she doesn't touch them. I was SUPPOSED TO KNOW that big hunk of wax was stuck inside the dryer of course.

One thing you can do when washing is set up an extra rinse, and an extra spin. I've found that helps get them even fluffier and MUCH dryer before even putting them in the dryer.

Post Thanks / Like

We use dryer sheets with our normal laundry. Never done an IPA wipedown. I usually will run the dryer on high heat while the MF's wash which also will help blow out an lint that might still be floating around from the last load of regular laundry. Never had any problems with my MF's. I dry on lowest heat setting. I do set the sensor to "less dry" so they aren't getting more heated drying than they need. Can always add a few more minutes if they aren't quite dry the first time.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast