autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Vote for Coatings vs Sealants for Gloss, Pop, Candi-coat

I am itching to try a coating that might surpase my sealants (4*UPP, PowerLock, BFWD, Klasse) pop, gloss, and wow performance.

I am asking those who have used both to comment on the look a coating gives vs a sealant.
    I would like to know if coatings can provide substantially more pop, gloss, and that cany-coated look than any sealant can offer.

Thank You!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vote for Coatings vs Sealants for Gloss, Pop, Candi-coat

Cast your vote for COATINGS or SEALANTS judging which crowd boasts the best look in term of gloss, reflectivity, wet-look, and that candy coated look I've only seen on cool cars in magazines. I know some of you have found that look and can throw in your opinions.
    I want to know if coatings are superior in terms of looks.
    Thank you...

Post Thanks / Like

Well I think that a lot of the look comes from the polish work done before hand but I currently have Cquartz UK topped with Sonax Polymer Net shield on my black gmc and it looks great but I also went through a 3 step process to correct the paint. 1 compound step with 2 polishing steps each with multiple passes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slicksierra View Post
    Well I think that a lot of the look comes from the polish work done before hand but I currently have Cquartz UK topped with Sonax Polymer Net shield on my black gmc and it looks great but I also went through a 3 step process to correct the paint. 1 compound step with 2 polishing steps each with multiple passes
    Great combo!! PNS does give a very glassy type look at least on my car. I have to admit though looks wise I prefer wax over it for my car because the flake seems to pop more. Can't comment on coatings as I have one waiting for warmer weather for a polishing session to be completed (gloss coat).
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like

I have Opti-Coat Pro on my SQ5 and generally dry it with CG Hybrid V07, it really makes the shine come out even more.

The wifes car gets sealants applied every 3 - 6 months.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently made the move to a coating when I purchased my 14 VW Touareg. The Touareg currently is wearing the Garry Dean Infinite Diamond Shield coating. I am washing it with a rinse less wash of Infinate Use Detail Juice [IUDJ] and a wipe down of IUDJ quick detailer. Garry indicated the coating should be good for ~2yrs.

Prep of the paint was pretty normal, Menzerna FG400, Menzerna Polish, IPA wipe down and the Infinite Diamond Shield was applied. Let it set, final wipe down with MF then keep it away from rain for 24hrs.

Overall I have been happy with the product. I keep meaning to do the wife's car, but just haven't gotten hers done yet.

To be 100% honest PowerLock (with proper prep) always looked good. I am not sure that the coating looks much different. I went the coating route to make life easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Opti-Seal has a fairly "glassy" and candied look to it.

UK adds a ridiculous amount of darkening and overall gloss, but gives more of a plastic/glossy look.

The most recent version of Opti-Coat Pro has a warm, wet look to it.

CQuartz Finest v6 is just plain glossy with minimal darkening - this one looks the best, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of the coatings offer the candy looking paint pop, you are looking for. Sonax Polymer Netshield gives a really slick look. I have seen Modesta coatings that look like the car is dipped in a candy glaze!

HUMP

Post Thanks / Like

If you want easy I'd recommend Pinnacle Synergy. It's wax with some coating ingredients / properties. I've been testing it out for about 6 months now and am extremely impressed. It's very durable and pretty easy to apply.

Applies like a wax, so no application headaches. Really it's the best of all worlds in one product. It also has hydrophobic properties as good as a lot of coatings. So far, it's holding up well to winter salt and snow - better than Collinite did.

Post Thanks / Like

One coat of GTechniq C1 followed by two coats of EXO. Very reflective and definitely has that candy coated look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast