autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

winter prep help please

So we just got our first snow flurries here in Maine so I figured it's time to get some build up the protection on my Tundra paint. I'm not worried about any correction, I just want the protection. I plan on just a wash and wax, with the exception being multiple wax coats.
    My question is twofold:
    1) Is it productive or a waste of time to put 2-3 coats of wax on?
    2) I have Meg's Liquid Gold Class and Meg's Ultimate Liquid Wax
    and I plan on multiple coats of one or the other. Anyone have any thoughts of which
    one will give me longer protection?

Last winter I washed, clayed and waxed, using a single coat of wax, and after a couple of months of road salt and grime, the wax protection had diminished to almost nothing. I did run the truck through the touchless car wash once every 1-2 weeks all winter long, and I'm wondering if the pre-soak or soap that the car wash uses is stripping the wax? I sure would appreciate any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: winter prep help please

It may be that those products just won't last for the duration you are looking for. I haven't used the ULW or the newer version of GC, but I usually look to a heavy wax like #16 or Collinite 476S to make it through the winter, and I'm a quite a bit south of you.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest using #476 and there's nothing wrong with 2 coats, its what I have on my car right now. I would also suggest applying it to your wheels, headlights and glass too:thumbup:

Using a touch-free wash is always a good idea because it gets in places you don't normally reach with a regular wash or especially a waterless/rinseless wash. I've heard the soaps they use are pretty strong because its touch-free and they have to be, so using one of these washes once a week or every 2 weeks even is going to dimiinish ANY wax. That said, you wanna use the strongest, longest lasting wax out there and #476 is one of those products. Check out Collinite #476 along with their #915 and #845 as well

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

i use two coats of DJ supernatural hybrid for my winter protection, wheels get two coats as well. its awesome

Post Thanks / Like

Touchless car washes are harsh and will erode the LSP faster than a gentle hand wash, but with the right protection you can go the distance.

I can see the problems encountered boiling down to two potential causes:

1) The touchless car wash didn't get the vehicle totally clean and the left over grime prevented the water from beading well on the surface.

2) The wax was worn off by the conditions.

I've used both 845 and Klasse SG for winter protection and a single coat of each should get you through winter. However, two coats will ensure you get good coverage and will last until Spring hits.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I really appreciate the replies. Are there any OTC brands that could come close to Collinite or Klasse? My time is limited so if I can avoid waiting for product to be shipped I can get this done sooner. Thanks again everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Your ultimate liquid is by far the best of the two you have for long service life. Do a good wash, apply your ultimate liquid synthetic sealant. If you wish to enhance the depth of the finish, you can wait a day and then top it with the good class carnauba. It's not needed, but if you like the super deep look, you'll get it by stacking that in top.

Post Thanks / Like

Supergus1,

Being that you have the new Meguiars Ultimate synthetic sealant at home, I wouldn't worry about running out to shop for more bottles of product. That is Meguiars newest, best and longest lasting product. It should easily deliver the kind of results your dreaming of.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and remember that you can top a sealant with a carnauba wax, but you can't put sealant on a carnauba wax.