autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Nissan paint durability and reliability?

Hello everyone. I am looking at buying a different car, specifically a 7th gen Nissan Maxima 2009+. I really like the car, but I have never owned a Nissan vehicle before. This time I am getting a white or silver car, since I don't have the time to dedicate to keeping a darker colored car looking good. It's going to be a daily driver, but I still want something that has good paint to it and is not prone to rusting.

What have you detailer's and Nissan owners seen with these vehicles? Do Nissan vehicles chip very easily? Do they have thick paint and durable primer on them? I don't want a car that will start to rust where there are rock chips. Also, do they swirl up easily?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nissan paint durability and reliability?

Quote Originally Posted by 05RLS2 View Post
    Hello everyone. I am looking at buying a different car, specifically a 7th gen Nissan Maxima 2009+. I really like the car, but I have never owned a Nissan vehicle before. This time I am getting a white or silver car, since I don't have the time to dedicate to keeping a darker colored car looking good. It's going to be a daily driver, but I still want something that has good paint to it and is not prone to rusting.

What have you detailer's and Nissan owners seen with these vehicles? Do Nissan vehicles chip very easily? Do they have thick paint and durable primer on them? I don't want a car that will start to rust where there are rock chips. Also, do they swirl up easily?
    Japanese cars traditionally has soft paint. Any car will start to rust if the rock chip hits bare metal.

Post Thanks / Like

Have a 12 xterra in night armor. No real issues with the paint. If anything, i find it a bit on the thin side. It does seem to chip easy.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Japanese cars traditionally has soft paint. Any car will start to rust if the rock chip hits bare metal.
    about the softer paint. Though my 11 Camary seems to chip more that the 06 Frontier that is my DD.

I've driven a few Maxi's from Chicago area when going for training in NJ, and I have to say they are one of the most comfortable cars I've ever driven.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd get the silver car before white. Reason being, the added metallic (any metallic) is going to give you a bit more to work with down the road.

Not having a Nissan per say, (INFINITI) I find the solid red to be stupidly thin! Even though it's BC/CC. It chips when you look at it (funny or otherwise... it friggin' CHIPS). Also it does swirl easier than the metallic paints as well. Corrects easy enough, but JESUS does it chip (as a single color, non metallic). I've found though that the metallic no matter the color (my Father-in-law has a 2012 Nissan in medium silver) hold up MUCH BETTER. Heck, his was hammered by a hail storm (over 36 dents per panel) and it held up to a solid week's worth of PDR repair, 2 guys working on it, 5 days straight.