autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with Headlight restoration

So today I tried to restore my headlights. I first wet sanded with 1500 grit, 2000, 2500 and then 3000. I then used a porter cable with a lc orange pad and mg 105 to remove the marks. After I was all done there are still scratches in the headlights. Not like sanding marks but scratches that one would see in paint. Any ideas on how to fix these. I will try to post some pics later.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with Headlight restoration

I would guess your sanding did not get them out. The marks would be removed by the 1500 grit and every other step is to refine it so you likely need to spend more time sanding at 1500 grit.

This is advice without seeing anything. It is like polish paint. The initial cut has to level the surface, the rest is getting out what you added back in when doing the initial cut.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I posted pics in member gallery

IMG_20140711_174543_552 - AutogeekOnline Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Here you go

Post Thanks / Like

^ Those look more like sanding marks. If you did just go to 1500, you could just go straight to 3000. I always sand somewhat aggressive with headlights when I am at the 3000 stage. I then Ease of the pressure towards the end. I imagine like I am drawing and shading and just make sure there is a good amount of lubricity.

The Porter Cable should be able to remove 3000 sanding marks, but you do have to apply a good amount of pressure and make sure the pad is still spinning. Always check heat build up to just to be safe. You can burn headlights.

Also what size pad and backing plate did you use?

^ Those look more like swirls. Which could be from the Porter Cable, pad and M105. After buffing out the sanding marks did you polish them out? With a polishing pad like the LC white pad and something like M205?

Side Note: When I do headlights I like to just buff out the sanding marks with a rotary and then I switch to a DA for the polishing stage. That's just me though since it works faster for me that way.

Also, (It's just me though not sure how others do it) I like using the TufBuf 3" Wool Pad. With either PC or Rotary when I am buffing out sanding marks from headlights, the compounding step.

Post Thanks / Like

I think those swirls are from the previous owner who used a sanding pad on a drill. I used lc orange with 105, followed by lc green with 205. But still no luck. I used them all with a 3inch pads and backing plate. Also would discoloration be caused from burning? Im wondering if I pressed down too hard with the porter cable? Cause I still see some cloudiness

Post Thanks / Like

The grayer looking spots in the red circle?

Do those feel a bit rough when you touch them with you index finger or nail? A bit rougher than the rest of the headlights?

Post Thanks / Like

the headlight feels great. silky smooth but hazy on the top and scratches throughout the rest

Post Thanks / Like
    Well let's see if others chime in and see what they have to say.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like maybe you didn't get all the 1500 grit scratches out as you moved to less aggressive paper. Each step you have to remove all the sanding marks from the previous grit. Make sure the entire light is uniform before moving to the next level. I can't see the pictures real well but from what I can see that's what it looks like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast