autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dealer Sealant

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealer Sealant

AND its not really just $1400... if you put it in your new car financing at 2.9% for 5 years it will actually be $1505 but thats besides the point.

You can buy 30 Duragloss Enviroshield kits for that price and coat your car every 5 months for probably 10 years!!! GEESH.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like
    More of a reason I hate dealerships... Think of it this way. How much is a paint job? I bet you could find a place for under $1400. Dealer paint coating is prob applied by some guy with no experience working part time for minimum wage. Most likely isn't even a paint coating either probably just a can of the cheapest wax that is left opened 24/7 to attract rocks as a filler so it doesn't run out as fast.

Tell the dealer if their cars are so prone to paint failure then you don't want the car. Watch how fast they change their tune.

Man I hate dealerships... Every department is full of scam artists who would do anything they can to make a buck.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Although my co-workers are not the detailing enthusiast we have here, they generally take good care of their vehicles. I feel they had paint issues sooner than they should. But I think I will stick with my current sealant/wax combo. Maybe do the Opti-Coat.
    2014 Subaru Legacy
    2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Post Thanks / Like

The next time someone tells you to pay 1400 dollars for dealership paint protection, laugh in their faces.
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the Legacy!

I am on my 2nd one - the first was a '12 Premium in White Satin Pearl and my current one is a '14 Limited in Tungsten Metallic. The paint is a little soft (not as soft as Subies from Japan) but I have been impressed with the paint job in both cases. Don't go to aggressive on the polishes and throw a coating on it (I am putting DG's new $38 coating on mine next weekend) and you won't have a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick but I guessed that the OP realised that it was BS but they were thinking that this would be a super warranty, if you will. If there are known paint issues then this product would mean that, if anything did arise, it would get repaired. We know well that it won't actually stop it, but it would mean that the dealer would repair it, even if it was outside of the normal paint warranty.

No?

Post Thanks / Like
    You should skip dealer sealants and apply your own coating. The paint is warrantied from the manufacturer (Subaru) - wether it has "dealer sealant" on it or not. In reality, if areas of the paint turn out to be defective - the dealer/Subaru will likely jerk you around anyway and say it's some how your fault.

At least that was my experience with Toyota. I bought a new Toyo MR2 in 2002 and in less than a year the paint was peeling from multiple panels. After being in the body shop a few times to have panels repainted (warranty) they finally said " no more - you must be the cause of this". So, I said "no more Toyota for me" and traded it in.

So, the way I look at it, if the manufacturer (the people who actually paint the car) tend to jerk you around regarding the "paint warranty"... Can you imagine what the people who make the "dealer sealant" are like? Yes, Subarus have a reputation of not having the best paint, but you have to consider all that when you buy their car and do your research.

But, don't get me wrong. I love "dealer sealants". It's a great way for dealers to make more profit off of their customers. I think the future may hold no more traditional car dealers. Dealerships are likely going like Tesla did with their cars, I think they have a booth in my local mall someplace - but no real dealership. So, anything that supports brick and mortar dealers I'm for.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like they are just stitching you up matey! just do your homework here on autogeek and listen to other users im sure you will find the answer...i am just discovering paint sealants too. opticoat 2.0 looks pretty good, anybody had good results?

Post Thanks / Like

If it's a paint defect than no sealant, coatings will prevent the "bubbling"
    Sort of like the Honda's of the 90's, didn't matter how well you maintained it the clear began to fail early on.

I sure wouldn't spend $1400.00 on a dealer sealant, save the money in case to have to repaint the car down the road, hopefully you won't have issues.

Keep it sealed good at all times, may I recommend Wolfgang Glossy Paint Sealant, Collinite 845 Wax and Duragloss Aquawax.
    You can get all this for around $100.00 and would be better than the dealer crap IMO.

Keep it clean.
    Clay it twice per year.
    Apply a coat of the Wolfgang Paint sealant.
    Once it cures apply two coats of the 845 then maintain it with the Duragloss , that way you'd be doing all you could to make sure you don't have any paint issues, hopefully you'll have good luck with your paint
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12