autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Building an Under Car Washer--Water Pressure Question

Wandering around the plumbing department at Lowes today figured out how I could build an under car washer out of PVC pipe for about $15.

Basically a 3/4" pipe (with angle adapters) attached to the hose (with a female hose bib attachment) with 3-4' to go under the car.

At the end of the 3/4" pipe a "T" adapter so the actual washing portion (2-3' PVC with multiple small holes) would run 90 degrees to the handle.

So here's the question: Would the water pressure coming out of the holes in the 2-3' PVC used for the washing portion be higher if this portion of the pipe was 1/2" or would the pressure be higher if this portion was 3/4" like the water delivery portion of the device??

Basically like this device The Underwasher :: Hose accessory that lets you clean under your car, RV, boat or ATV! but with the actual washing portion running 90 degrees to the longer pieces--I think it would be easier to handle this way.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Building an Under Car Washer--Water Pressure Question

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    So here's the question: Would the water pressure coming out of the holes in the 2-3' PVC used for the washing portion be higher if this portion of the pipe was 1/2" or would the pressure be higher if this portion was 3/4" like the water delivery portion of the device??
    Fluid Dynamics, specifically Bernoulli's Principle, is where you'll find the definitive answer to your question regarding any possible pressure differential between the 1/2" and 3/4" PVC-piping.

Then there's the frictional loss, that also needs to be taken into account.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Bob--Somehow I knew you'd help me out here, but you're going to make me work for it -- So as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure within the fluid decreases and conversely. So am I correct in assuming as water flows down the 3/4" pipe to the 1/2" pipe the speed will decrease so the pressure would increase??? But how does volume enter into this??? More water in the 3/4" pipe, less in the 1/2" pipe and the 1/2" would have holes in it to create the spray. So would it be better to stay with 3/4" pipe (where the spray holes will be) because there would be more volume??? Think I'm getting a headache.

Post Thanks / Like

Wandering around the plumbing department at Lowes today figured out how I could build an under car washer out of PVC pipe for about $15.

Basically a 3/4" pipe (with angle adapters) attached to the hose (with a female hose bib attachment) with 3-4' to go under the car.

At the end of the 3/4" pipe a "T" adapter so the actual washing portion (2-3' PVC with multiple small holes) would run 90 degrees to the handle.

Basically like this device The Underwasher :: Hose accessory that lets you clean under your car, RV, boat or ATV! but with the actual washing portion running 90 degrees to the longer pieces--I think it would be easier to handle this way.

I bought this washer and the T end would help out the washer. I was thinking of the same idea and moding this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KBsSS View Post
    I bought this washer and the T end would help out the washer. I was thinking of the same idea and moding this.
    Is it made from 1/2" or 3/4" PVC? What size would you estimate the spray holes are??

Post Thanks / Like

Is it made from 1/2" or 3/4" PVC? What size would you estimate the spray holes are??

1/2 " PVC 3/32 holes Its not bad but you bettter wear your rain gear when using this Where it connects the fittings have o rings so no leaks. Not a bad built but some fine tunning is needed. $25.00 price delivered. I got an email today from the ChickenRock one and price went up to $349.00

It needs something flat on it so it does not turn when ur moving it around.

I live off 376, Center Exit, PM if you want to see it and look it over.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info!! I think ChickenRock is going to have a hard time at $349. Figure I can put one together for $15-20. At this point planning to use 3/4" PVC with a "T" at the end of the long piece that goes under the car which should make it more stable with the holes in the T. If I can find the right brass nozzles may give that a try too. I'm down in Washington.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info!! I think ChickenRock is going to have a hard time at $349. Figure I can put one together for $15-20. At this point planning to use 3/4" PVC with a "T" at the end of the long piece that goes under the car which should make it more stable with the holes in the T. If I can find the right brass nozzles may give that a try too. I'm down in Washington.
    Please keep me updated on your project. I am always interested in new ways to keep my car clean and shining.

THANKS

KB

Post Thanks / Like

For how cheap the Underwasher is I picked one up !!
    Ron !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwisejr View Post
    For how cheap the Underwasher is I picked one up !!
    It works good just be ready to get damp. I learned to have it under the car when I turn it on. I lke where it connects that it has O rings to prevent leaking. My wife just shakes here head at me out there cleaning underneath ...

Just needs alittle fine tuning to steady it a little. Thats why I like it here on AG somebodys always has a better idea...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast