autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to properly prep paint before polish?

Hey guys new member here looking buy my own tools and learn some polishing, i've already figured out the pad/compound/da polishers that i want. One thing is, how do i properly "prep" my paint and what are the steps i need to take to make sure the car is ready to have swirls removed etc. What products do i need, what do i need to do. Would a simple wash dry and claybar "prep" the car for a paint correction, or are further steps needed to be taken to make sure all previous wax/sealants have been stripped off? Any help would be greatly appreciated guys

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to properly prep paint before polish?

Yes good wash I like ironx then clay dont forget to tape. What products are using to compound and what pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vancity808 View Post
    Would a simple wash(add a few ounces of APC) dry and claybar "prep" the car for a paint correction
    That's all you should need to do.

IronX is always good to do to remove the iron deposits, but it's not mandatory.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking to purchase the Griots RO polisher, with the CCS orange white and blue pad, along with the wolfgang TSR and the wolfgang FG, its all a kit another member suggested as a good starter. What should i be taping off, i dont need to use a special wash to strip previous wax / sealant? Suggestions on any specific brand of APC?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking to purchase the Griots RO polisher, with the CCS orange white and blue pad, along with the wolfgang TSR and the wolfgang FG, its all a kit another member suggested as a good starter. What should i be taping off, i dont need to use a special wash to strip previous wax / sealant?
    Go with 5.5" LC flat pads and a 5" backing plate. An orange pad isn't the most aggressive pad and TSR is not the most aggressive polish. Depending on the hardness of your clearcoat, you may not remove all the defects wit this combo. You should tape off plastic trim to avoid staining it with polish. No special wash needed. Add a few ounces of APC to your wash and it'll strip what's needed. Blackfire APC is an excellent APC! So is Optimum Power Clean. What kind of car and color?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Heres a link to the reason why I'm looking into purchasing these products. My car is a 2014 Infiniti Q50S
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...irls-help.html
    However i've always wanted to get into detailing and learn how to polish so i guess its a good place to start.
    The kit itself comes with a backing plate and all the pads that i listed. Several forum members told me i could get away with polishing out those buffer trails with the white pad / FG combo. However i wont only be doing this car, i've got a 2011 QX56 in need of a paint correction around the whole car.

Post Thanks / Like

Heres a link to the reason why I'm looking into purchasing these products. My car is a 2014 Infiniti Q50S
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...irls-help.html
    However i've always wanted to get into detailing and learn how to polish so i guess its a good place to start.
    The kit itself comes with a backing plate and all the pads that i listed. Several forum members told me i could get away with polishing out those buffer trails with the white pad / FG combo. However i wont only be doing this car, i've got a 2011 QX56 in need of a paint correction around the whole car.
    Do you know if your Infiniti's have "self healing" paint? That paint is a PITA to polish.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking to purchase the Griots RO polisher, with the CCS orange white and blue pad, along with the wolfgang TSR and the wolfgang FG, its all a kit another member suggested as a good starter. What should i be taping off, i dont need to use a special wash to strip previous wax / sealant? Suggestions on any specific brand of APC?

The griots is a great da I went with the pc but wish have gotten the griots. I seem to like the mirco firber cutting pads seems better to me. I did have the hex logic pads at 1st they worked great too. I used m105 and m205 combo for my 1st time and had great results.For soap I like ironx soap foam to take any wax off I'm sure you could use dawn I don't..Also don't forget to clay it. When tapping I'm talking about when you have to use any compound that makes dust just tape any rubber you have..

Post Thanks / Like

My car doesnt have the self healing paint, it doesnt work anyways.

Robbiek yeah i was considering the meguiars m105/205 combo but someone recommended that the wolfgang combo was a little more user friendly as the 105 was harder to work with.
    + anyone have a link to the ironx cleaner? cant seem to find anything but huge sizes in the shop, one of these snow soap perhaps ? CarPro Iron X Snow Soap, paint decontamination soap

Post Thanks / Like

My car doesnt have the self healing paint, it doesnt work anyways.

Robbiek yeah i was considering the meguiars m105/205 combo but someone recommended that the wolfgang combo was a little more user friendly as the 105 was harder to work with.

+ anyone have a link to the ironx cleaner? cant seem to find anything but huge sizes in the shop
    This is better than IronX....

Auto Finesse Iron Out Iron Remover

WG combo is more user friendly.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast