autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sonax FE on wheels after Opti Coat

Hello. I have a bit of a newb question that a forum search wasn't able to resolve within my normal concentration span of 12.4 seconds.

I just bought some Sonax Full Effect which I intend to use (along with OPC) to clean my summer wheels before opticoating them.

From what I have read on the forum, most people just seem to use normal car wash to clean their opticoated wheels, or at most OPC. In your experience, has there been a need to apply SFE to opticoated wheels? Also, does SFE damage the optimum coating at all? I suspect it won't but just want to check. It seems a shame to have bought a 500ml bottle of a wheel cleaner that I will only use once.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sonax FE on wheels after Opti Coat

Wow, it either rains or it pours. A similar question was posted this week and has dozens of responses...

If you're interested in some answers to this, check this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ted-paint.html

Basically a number of people with experience and expertise with Optimum products support the idea that a car-specific APC (i.e. Optimum Power Clean) will not be bad for an opticoated surface (body / wheels).

Cheers,

Adam

Post Thanks / Like

I still use SONAX Full Effect on my wheels, even though they are Opti-Coated. The main reason I do this is because it saves me time and contributes to an overall cleaner wheel, with less effort. Even though car wash soap is all you need to clean a wheel that is Opti-Coated, at least in most cases, there is no reason why you don't have to use a dedicated wheel cleaner to clean your wheels.

Other than SONAX Full Effect, I also use 1Z ColourTec, P21S Gel and Chemical Guys Diablo to clean my wheels, depending on the overall amount of brake dust (I have a German sports car so it produces a lot of dust) and grime is on the wheel, as well as if it has been over a week since I have washed them.

If you want to be real safe, wait around 30 days after the Opti-Coat application before using the SONAX or other wheel cleaner. Until then, use a detergent based cleaner or car wash soap.

Hope this helps... Happy detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

If the Opti-Coat Coating is applied, and allowed to completely cure (~30days), as directed:
    I see no reason why it would not withstand some wheel-cleaning sessions using Sonax FE.

How many of these sessions though?

Would using a decontamination-product, like Sonax FE, on Opti-Coated wheels...be comparable to
    using decon-products, of a similar bleeding vein, say like: IronX...on Opti-Coated paint on vehicles' panels?

How many decon-sessions on panel paint before the Opti-Coat would be removed/no longer affective?
    (Opti-Coat's removal is stated to be either by: mechanical-abrasion/abrasives; paint removers)

Then there's the saying: "Least aggressive first":<<<(M.P.).
    Just like painted vehicle's panels:
    What if the Opti-coated wheels do not need a: "Sonax FE treatment"/be decontaminated,
    each and every time they're washed, for them to come clean? (They really shouldn't, IMO.)

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I have never felt the need to use any "wheel cleaner" on my personal vehicles. They are maintained well so there hasn't been enough build up to justify anything more than soap and water. Neglegted vehicles are a different story! Wheels that don't get cleaned on a weekly basis will need the extra cleaning power that dedicated wheel cleaners provide.