autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle Microfiber detergent making my towels rough?

I've been using the Pinnacle microfiber detergent I received with a pack of a bunch of microfibers from a VIP deal a few months ago. These included the Deluxe Jr. 600, the Supreme 530, and the Gold plush Jr. towels. However, I noticed that after the wash my towels seemed to feel a bit rough. I've washed a decent amount of loads as i'm about half way through with the bottle now and every time, even though they're clean, they have a rough feeling to them.

My typical wash method is 1.5 ounces of detergent, hot/cold water and extra rinse. Dry on low heat until towels are 80% dry and then hang dry them overnight. No fabric sheets. I've even tried pre-rinsing the washing machine with vinegar before washing the microfibers yet still get this feeling.

Am I still doing something wrong or do other people notice this? I also have two bottles of blackfire microfiber detergent would I notice a difference using that? Thanks for any help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you're doing everything right. Try BF to compare.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnacle Microfiber detergent making my towels rough?

Quote Originally Posted by Speed-Dude View Post
    I've been using the Pinnacle microfiber detergent I received with a pack of a bunch of microfibers from a VIP deal a few months ago. These included the Deluxe Jr. 600, the Supreme 530, and the Gold plush Jr. towels. However, I noticed that after the wash my towels seemed to feel a bit rough. I've washed a decent amount of loads as i'm about half way through with the bottle now and every time, even though they're clean, they have a rough feeling to them.

My typical wash method is 1.5 ounces of detergent, hot/cold water and extra rinse. Dry on low heat until towels are 80% dry and then hang dry them overnight. No fabric sheets. I've even tried pre-rinsing the washing machine with vinegar before washing the microfibers yet still get this feeling.

Am I still doing something wrong or do other people notice this? I also have two bottles of blackfire microfiber detergent would I notice a difference using that? Thanks for any help!
    You are not alone, my 600s and 360 I bought earlier this year all feel rough. I felt that the blackfire does help them stay softer longer.
    2017 Mercedes Benz AMG C43
    2016 Acura MDX SH-awd

Post Thanks / Like

I use the CG microfiber wash...I've washed some of them several times without any problem?? 530's and Gold plush...

Post Thanks / Like

Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I use the CG microfiber wash...I've washed some of them several times without any problem?? 530's and Gold plush...

I've also used the CG microfiber wash and the towels actually came out softer than they were new. It also seems to really preserve the "static-icity" of the MF.

However, Blackfire was on my list to try next. No issues w/ CG, just wanted to see if I might be missing out on something better.

Since you already have Blackfire, give it a try. If that doesn't do it for you, order the CG.

Three other points I just thought of:

1) Supposedly, commercial laundry detergents, especially liquids, leave enough residue behind in the washer to actually clean another full load or two without adding any detergent to the machine. (never tested this, just heard it) I have an HE washer and run a machine cleaner through it every other month or so just to cut any excess residue from detergent and/or general muck from laundry. Otherwise, I get a build up on the inside of the drum.

Depending on your machine and normal soap, this could be something to consider. It may be that the vinegar wipe down is not enough on its own to clear everything out.

2) Hard water is not just a P.I.T.A. when washing your vehicle. The same culprit of water spots could be hindering your washing machine as well. If that's the case, either soften the water or add more detergent.

3) As far as drying goes, I do the opposite of your method. I let the towels hang dry to about 80% and then just throw them in the dryer (no sheets) on extra low for about 10 minutes. My main purpose for using the dryer at all is just to build up some extra static in the fibers.
    Last edited by amnbcn; 11-29-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Just thought of something else..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amnbcn View Post
    1) Supposedly, commercial laundry detergents, especially liquids, leave enough residue behind in the washer to actually clean another full load or two without adding any detergent to the machine. (never tested this, just heard it)
    I think most people use too much detergent, just human nature. The problem with washing MF's, is if you have tough-to-cut residues you have to use a lot of detergent, and then it's hard to get rinsed out. With my old top-loader, I have run many, many extra rinse cycles and still get suds out.

Quote Originally Posted by amnbcn View Post
    2) Hard water is not just a P.I.T.A. when washing your vehicle. The same culprit of water spots could be hindering your washing machine as well. If that's the case, either soften the water or add more detergent.
    I suspect hard water is the culprit. If you think about it, just like hard water will leave difficult to remove residues on your paint if it dries, what do you think happens to your wet clothes/MF's when you dry them? You leave (crusty?) mineral residue in them.

Post Thanks / Like

use white vinegar in the rinse ...

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    use white vinegar in the rinse ...
    Good call. Vinegar will help to break down / remove any remaining mineral or detergent deposits left on the towels after the wash. If I'm thinking correctly, about 1/4 to 1/3 cup in the rinse cycle should take care of the whole load.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Will this make your towels smell like vinegar?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast